Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and stress fractures

Posted by Linda O. on 2/08/01 at 10:45 (038432)

I have had PF surgery on both feet. I had surgery (endoscope) on my left foot exactly one year ago. It has never healed. I've had lateral column pain and three stress fractures. I have been in an air cast 75% of the time since the surgery. As soon as I take the boot off, I get another stress fracture.

I can't live my life this way. I see an orthopedist with a specialty in feet - Steven Shapiro. He can't tell me what's causing the stress fractures - just stay off of it and wear the boot. He does say that the surgery changes the structure of the foot and may have reduced my arch somewhat (it is extremely high). The large muscles in my left foot are beginning to atrophy according to a PT I recently saw.

Is there anything I can do.

PS - I have Celiac disease (gluten intolerance) and have learned that many people with CD have plantars fascitis. Is there a connection? My disease is controlled by strict diet.

Thank you for your thoughts in this matter.