Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what is this pain?

Posted by Karin L. on 2/08/01 at 11:53 (038441)

Dr. Z,
I now have PF in my left foot (right had the ESWT & is GREAT). Got my 2nd cortizone shot yesterday, but the pain is still there when I walk & when I don't walk. It is on the bottom of the heel but also on the edge of the heel towards the achilles tendon. I didn't have this with my right foot & I also don't remember the cortizone taking this long to start acting. With the shots on my right foot, by the morning following the shot, I was pain free for about 8 weeks. With the left, the shot lasted only about 4 weeks. Is this normal & why would the pain be so far back on my heel?
Thank you.

Re: what is this pain?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/08/01 at 19:46 (038472)

Hi,

The good result with an injection on one foot can be different on the other foot. The area of pain appears to be at the rim of the heel and not of the pf area. You could be well with just a plastic heel cup that will move the weight of your body off the rim and push the fat padding back under the heel. I like MF heel cups. They cost about five dollars. Ask your podiarist about them. They really do the trick

The cause of this pain is either the plantar insertion of the achilles tendon. bursitis, periostotis. This is where the thin covering of the bone is inflamed. Take the heel cup. In the mean time a slight high heel may help take the weight of your body off of this injured area. Must get the weight off either with a heel cup, high heel shoe

Re: what is this pain?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/08/01 at 19:46 (038472)

Hi,

The good result with an injection on one foot can be different on the other foot. The area of pain appears to be at the rim of the heel and not of the pf area. You could be well with just a plastic heel cup that will move the weight of your body off the rim and push the fat padding back under the heel. I like MF heel cups. They cost about five dollars. Ask your podiarist about them. They really do the trick

The cause of this pain is either the plantar insertion of the achilles tendon. bursitis, periostotis. This is where the thin covering of the bone is inflamed. Take the heel cup. In the mean time a slight high heel may help take the weight of your body off of this injured area. Must get the weight off either with a heel cup, high heel shoe