Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT side affects?

Posted by ross r. on 2/08/01 at 20:15 (038481)

Given that ESWT is relatively new. What could the long-term side affects be of getting this treatment? I'm thinking of 10-20 years later?

Re: ESWT side affects?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/08/01 at 21:08 (038486)

There are long term studies over ten years for ESWT. and even longer for ESWL ( renal lithotripsy.). There is still alot to learn but ten year studies in Europe are starting to cover this issue.

I have an interesting patient post-ESWT ten months come into my office.

Here is the story. A older man comes into my office today . My receptionist tells me that Mr such and such wants to talk to me. So what could he want. I honestly didn't remember that I had done ESWT.

I figure he was going to tell me that his foot is now greeen or something.

Well he places his arms around me and starts to thank me for fixing his foot he knows that i avoided surgery for him and he was so gratefull.

He had no pain at all. He did tell me he felt some what he described as numbness in the area but no big dea.

So what does this have to do with your question . Well I believe that there is going to be patients that have numbness with ESWT. No nerve damage but a numb feeling that is only in the area of treatment. I have seen this with patients that have had my miminial incision heel spur surgery.

ESWT to really heel the area take time . It could be anywhere from six weeks to over three months.

Much shorter and much safer then foot surgery.

ross r. on 2/09/01 at 01:41 (038502)

What have these studies from Europe shown? Are they posted on this web site? I haven't found any yet.

Kay S on 2/09/01 at 08:34 (038512)

I will come to NJ to give you a hug in ten months if I get cured too. Heck, I'd walk there!
Kay

Cynthia D on 2/09/01 at 13:19 (038550)

And I'll join you and jog all the way from Boston holding my tennis raquet!

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/08/01 at 21:08 (038486)

There are long term studies over ten years for ESWT. and even longer for ESWL ( renal lithotripsy.). There is still alot to learn but ten year studies in Europe are starting to cover this issue.

I have an interesting patient post-ESWT ten months come into my office.

Here is the story. A older man comes into my office today . My receptionist tells me that Mr such and such wants to talk to me. So what could he want. I honestly didn't remember that I had done ESWT.

I figure he was going to tell me that his foot is now greeen or something.

Well he places his arms around me and starts to thank me for fixing his foot he knows that i avoided surgery for him and he was so gratefull.

He had no pain at all. He did tell me he felt some what he described as numbness in the area but no big dea.

So what does this have to do with your question . Well I believe that there is going to be patients that have numbness with ESWT. No nerve damage but a numb feeling that is only in the area of treatment. I have seen this with patients that have had my miminial incision heel spur surgery.

ESWT to really heel the area take time . It could be anywhere from six weeks to over three months.

Much shorter and much safer then foot surgery.

ross r. on 2/09/01 at 01:41 (038502)

What have these studies from Europe shown? Are they posted on this web site? I haven't found any yet.

Kay S on 2/09/01 at 08:34 (038512)

I will come to NJ to give you a hug in ten months if I get cured too. Heck, I'd walk there!
Kay

Cynthia D on 2/09/01 at 13:19 (038550)

And I'll join you and jog all the way from Boston holding my tennis raquet!