Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MSM update

Posted by Barb-NY on 2/09/01 at 19:29 (038572)

Well, it now 2 weeks since I started to use MSM 1000mg caps and MSM cream. I take one pill a day around noon and use the cream twice a day, before I go to sleep and before I leave the house for work.

The results....it's working. IT IS WORKING :-)

My pain level is fastly reduced. I have been able to stand much longer and walk much longer with little discomfort. I started my period 4 days ago and during this time of the month I am usually in agony. This time, nothing. No extra pain. I had to go to the post office the other day, a journey I hate because of the long lines. I usually end up with ice packs the rest of the day. This time, nothing. NOTHING! I returned to the office and went back to work.

Now, I'm not saying I'm cured by any means. I can still feel some pain and I know if I try to do anything stupid it will come back with a vengence. But, I think this may finally be it. When I press on the fascia with my thumb, it doesn't hurt as much. And if it's just a placebo effect..so be it. The mind can be an awfully good healer.

P.S. My husband atarted using MSM for his golfers elbow and he says it's feeling better also.

Re: MSM update

Nancy N on 2/09/01 at 21:13 (038578)

Barb--

This stuff works for cramps, too??? Sounds like a miracle drug. Is it expensive? You only take one pill per day? Wow.

I'm glad it's working for you, especially if you got the real OrthoWave treatment. Are you using it for your elbow as well?

Re: I meant to add...

Nancy N on 2/09/01 at 21:17 (038580)

How long did it take before you noticed a difference?

Barb-NY on 2/09/01 at 23:04 (038585)

You're funny. I didn't fix my cramps. It did fix my PF pain. It's did a little (very little) for my tennis elbow. But my feet are starting to be my friends again. I only take one pill per day. It costs around $30 for 240 pills. The cream is about $6 for 2 oz.

Barb-NY on 2/09/01 at 23:10 (038586)

What I meant to say is that during my period my feet feel like they are being pierced with knives. Every month my feet would relapse and it took me a while to make the connection.

As for the MSM. While I don't think it's doing anything for my period, I do feel that it has improved my feet so much that even my period doesn't make them hurt that badly.

Nancy N on 2/10/01 at 07:23 (038594)

OOOHHHHH! Now I understand. Sorry, I obviously totally misread your first post. What a disappointment, I thought you were on to a new cure for cramps!! I (among others, I'm sure) would have been eternally grateful! :)

Re: what is MSM??

Paula on 2/10/01 at 14:26 (038622)

I am new here. What is MSM?

Nancy N on 2/10/01 at 22:40 (038645)

Paula--

I don't remember what it stands for, but it's a nutritional supplement that is credited with all sorts of things, including helping with pain. If you do a search on MSM on the message board home page, you'll find out more, including some links with more information.

Ann G on 2/11/01 at 18:04 (038700)

msm is a sulfur compound. I hold it partly responsible for my recovery.

Barbara TX on 2/12/01 at 15:59 (038744)

Hello BabsNY, this is BabsTX... what brand of MSM, both capsules and cream, do you use? Let us know, B.

Barb-NY on 2/13/01 at 19:21 (038885)

Hey Barb....The brand I use is TriMedica for both caps and cream. I like their cream because it doen't contain too many extra ingredients. It has some Vitamin E and some filler, but other brands have many other, unrelated ingredients. I'm trying t keep it simple and to the point, just MSM. It's also fragrance free which is great when you work in close cubicles. The caps are 1000mg. They also don't do animal testing with their products, which is extremely important to me. I got mine at the Vitamin Shop. I also saw it at other health food stores.

It seems I'm improving every day now. I did feel a slight pain in my arches yesterday, but I attribute that to the low barometer we had before the storm. The weather always affects my joints. Today, I'm feeling much better. It's getting to the point where I'm afraid I may awake from this dream and find I still have horrible PF pain. I never thought this would ever go away. I always tend to win the reverse lottery.

Nancy N on 2/09/01 at 21:13 (038578)

Barb--

This stuff works for cramps, too??? Sounds like a miracle drug. Is it expensive? You only take one pill per day? Wow.

I'm glad it's working for you, especially if you got the real OrthoWave treatment. Are you using it for your elbow as well?

Re: I meant to add...

Nancy N on 2/09/01 at 21:17 (038580)

How long did it take before you noticed a difference?

Barb-NY on 2/09/01 at 23:04 (038585)

You're funny. I didn't fix my cramps. It did fix my PF pain. It's did a little (very little) for my tennis elbow. But my feet are starting to be my friends again. I only take one pill per day. It costs around $30 for 240 pills. The cream is about $6 for 2 oz.

Barb-NY on 2/09/01 at 23:10 (038586)

What I meant to say is that during my period my feet feel like they are being pierced with knives. Every month my feet would relapse and it took me a while to make the connection.

As for the MSM. While I don't think it's doing anything for my period, I do feel that it has improved my feet so much that even my period doesn't make them hurt that badly.

Nancy N on 2/10/01 at 07:23 (038594)

OOOHHHHH! Now I understand. Sorry, I obviously totally misread your first post. What a disappointment, I thought you were on to a new cure for cramps!! I (among others, I'm sure) would have been eternally grateful! :)

Paula on 2/10/01 at 14:26 (038622)

I am new here. What is MSM?

Nancy N on 2/10/01 at 22:40 (038645)

Paula--

I don't remember what it stands for, but it's a nutritional supplement that is credited with all sorts of things, including helping with pain. If you do a search on MSM on the message board home page, you'll find out more, including some links with more information.

Ann G on 2/11/01 at 18:04 (038700)

msm is a sulfur compound. I hold it partly responsible for my recovery.

Barbara TX on 2/12/01 at 15:59 (038744)

Hello BabsNY, this is BabsTX... what brand of MSM, both capsules and cream, do you use? Let us know, B.

Barb-NY on 2/13/01 at 19:21 (038885)

Hey Barb....The brand I use is TriMedica for both caps and cream. I like their cream because it doen't contain too many extra ingredients. It has some Vitamin E and some filler, but other brands have many other, unrelated ingredients. I'm trying t keep it simple and to the point, just MSM. It's also fragrance free which is great when you work in close cubicles. The caps are 1000mg. They also don't do animal testing with their products, which is extremely important to me. I got mine at the Vitamin Shop. I also saw it at other health food stores.

It seems I'm improving every day now. I did feel a slight pain in my arches yesterday, but I attribute that to the low barometer we had before the storm. The weather always affects my joints. Today, I'm feeling much better. It's getting to the point where I'm afraid I may awake from this dream and find I still have horrible PF pain. I never thought this would ever go away. I always tend to win the reverse lottery.