Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPIDURAL AND SURGERY ARE OVER

Posted by DENNIS B. on 2/10/01 at 13:18 (038618)

HAD STEROIDAL EPIDURAL PRIOR TO MY TTS SURGERY (ON MY RIGHT FOOT) ON THE 7TH. FIRST TIME ON THE COMPUTER SINCE THEN. DR. SAID I SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL TODAY WHETHER OR NOT THE EPIDURAL ACTUALLY HELPED AND THE ANSWER IS NO. HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING DR'S ADVICE, KEEPING FOOT ELEVATED, ICED, PAIN MEDS, ETC. OBVIOUSLY DON'T KNOW IF THE SURGERY ITSELF WAS A HELP OR NOT AS AM ON A NO WEIGHT BEARING RESTRICTION FOR THAT LEG. WAS TOLD BY THE NEUROLOGIST WHO DID THE INITIAL EMG THAT THE RIGHT FOOT WAS WORSE THAN THE LEFT WHICH IS WHY THE RIGHT ONE WAS THE FIRST ONE TO BE OPERATED ON. HOWEVER, THE REASON I BELIEVE THAT THE EPIDURAL DIDN'T HELP AND THE REASON THAT I BELIEVE THAT THE NEUROLOGIST (AND SURGEON) WERE RIGHT ON SAYING THE TTS WAS IN BOTH FEET IS DUE TO THE FACT THAT WHEN I DO GET UP AND AROUND ON THE CRUTCHES, THE PAIN IN THE NON-SURGICAL FOOT BECOMES TOTALLY UNBEARABLE AFTER BEING ON THE CRUTCHES FOR ABOUT 2 TO MAYBE 3 MINUTES. IF THE EPIDURAL WOULD'VE HELPED I DOUBT THAT THE PAIN WOULD BE SO SEVERE. I WAS THEN FACED WITH THE PROBLEM AS TO HOW TO STAND (LIKE A STORK)TO SHOWER, AFTER FIRST WRAPPING THE BANDAGE IN A TRASH BAG. WELL, MY NURSE/EMT DAUGHTER-IN-LAW SUGGESTED A SHOWER CHAIR. IT IS AN ALUMINUM FRAMED, PLASTIC SEATED AND PLASTIC BACKED CHAIR WITH LEGS THAT ADJUST TO INDIVIDUAL HEIGHT THAT YOU PUT IN THE SHOWER TO SIT ON. IT HAS RUBBER CUPS ON THE BOTTOM OF IT'S LEGS TO MINIMIZE SLIDING AROUND. WE FOUND 2 DISCOUNT DEPT. STORES IN TOWN (SHOPKO AND WAL-MART) THAT HAD THEM IN STOCK. COST WAS RIGHT AT $45.00. THOUGHT SOME OF YOU THAT ARE GOING TO BE HAVING SURGERY MIGHT LIKE THAT INFO. ANYWAY, AM GLAD THE FIRST SURGERY IS OVER AND NOW THE WAITING GAME BEGINS TO SEE WHAT THE RESULTS ARE. I GO BACK TO MY SURGEON FOR A FOLLOW UP ON THE 20TH. MAYBE I'LL BE ABLE TO STOP USING THE CRUTCHES THEN?

Re: EPIDURAL AND SURGERY ARE OVER

janet C. on 2/10/01 at 18:04 (038637)

Dennis, I wish you a speedy recovery, but I'd recommend that you STAY DOWN as much as possible!!! It is really not wise to try to rush yourself after this surgical procedure. I've been there, having recovered remarkably quickly from every other surgery I've had, I now deeply regret pushing myself even to do 'necessary' things. And stay off your non-surgical foot, crawl, if you can! Another suggestion I'd like to make is to buy a hand-held shower massage. They cost only about $20., and you can sit in the shower/tub, and have the stream of water closer to wash your hair, etc.
Best wishes, Janet

carol on 2/11/01 at 12:32 (038677)

Dennis - so glad your surgery is over and go well. I am in on Tuesday.
Can't wait as can't live with this pain any more! I just pray its a success. Having epidural as well - much prefer to a complete knockout. I will look forward to hearing your progess and when I can get back to my computer will give you a nudge if you haven't posted news so far. Best of luck and be careful not to overdo it! Carol in Johannesburg

Mike on 2/21/01 at 13:20 (039563)

Just wondering how your doing? Rem me...I had mine done on the 7th as well. Been back to the doc twice since, still have the stitches in, they will come out next week. No weight bearing as of yet. Although the problem I have at the present, besides being bored as hell, is the foot is more or less stuck at a 22 1/2 degree angle pointing downwards. Am trying to work the foot with the help of a towel, and pulling it towards me until I begin to feel tearing in the ankle. The doc said this is normal? As some fibrous tissue probably devleoped around the ligaments. All I know is it hurts like hell. He said if I dont get moving it, he will cast it at an angle I dont want it at.
The long and winding road..........continues.........
Other than that, no pain meds except celebrex.
Mike

DENNIS B. on 2/22/01 at 15:56 (039664)

HI MIKE. YES, I DO REMEMBER YOU. AM DOING FINE SO FAR. WENT TO DR ON TUES THE 20TH AND HE REMOVED MY 12 STAPLES THAT HE HAD PUT IN. TOLD ME TO WEAN MYSELF OFF OF THE CRUTCHES AND AM DOING SO. IN FACT, HAVEN'T USED THEM AT ALL TODAY. ANKLE GETS STIFF AS THE DAY PROGRESSED, BUT NOT UNMANAGEABLE UNTIL ABOUT 8 OR 9 AT NIGHT. THEN I PROP IT UP ON PILLOWS WHILE RECLINED IN THE LAZY BOY. AS FAR AS FOOT AT AN ANGLE, I HAVEN'T EXPERIENCED THAT. DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU. SEEMS LIKE EACH DR. HAS HES PATIENTS PROGRESS AT A DIFFERENT PACE. I KEPT FLEXING MY TOES WHILE I WAS ON THE NO WEIGHT BEARING DEAL AND IN THE SPLINT OR HALF CAST CONTRAPTION, MAYBE THAT HELPED ME, DON'T KNOW. I ALSO KEPT BENDING THE KNEE AND DID ISOMETRICS TO KEEP ATROPY FROM SETTING IN ON MY QUAD (COULDN'T DO ANYTHING TO REALLY HELP THE CALF). DID THAT ON MY OWN ACCORD. HAD KNEE REBUILT ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO AND GOT ATROPY IN CALF AND QUAD AND IT WAS REALLY DIFFICULT TO BRING THEM BACK. ACTUALLY NEVER DID GET THE QUAD BACK TO WHERE IT WAS B4. IRONICALLY, THAT WAS ON SAME LEG THAT I HAD THE TTS SURGERY. ANYWAY, GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RECOVERY. KEEP ME POSTED.

janet C. on 2/10/01 at 18:04 (038637)

Dennis, I wish you a speedy recovery, but I'd recommend that you STAY DOWN as much as possible!!! It is really not wise to try to rush yourself after this surgical procedure. I've been there, having recovered remarkably quickly from every other surgery I've had, I now deeply regret pushing myself even to do 'necessary' things. And stay off your non-surgical foot, crawl, if you can! Another suggestion I'd like to make is to buy a hand-held shower massage. They cost only about $20., and you can sit in the shower/tub, and have the stream of water closer to wash your hair, etc.
Best wishes, Janet

carol on 2/11/01 at 12:32 (038677)

Dennis - so glad your surgery is over and go well. I am in on Tuesday.
Can't wait as can't live with this pain any more! I just pray its a success. Having epidural as well - much prefer to a complete knockout. I will look forward to hearing your progess and when I can get back to my computer will give you a nudge if you haven't posted news so far. Best of luck and be careful not to overdo it! Carol in Johannesburg

Mike on 2/21/01 at 13:20 (039563)

Just wondering how your doing? Rem me...I had mine done on the 7th as well. Been back to the doc twice since, still have the stitches in, they will come out next week. No weight bearing as of yet. Although the problem I have at the present, besides being bored as hell, is the foot is more or less stuck at a 22 1/2 degree angle pointing downwards. Am trying to work the foot with the help of a towel, and pulling it towards me until I begin to feel tearing in the ankle. The doc said this is normal? As some fibrous tissue probably devleoped around the ligaments. All I know is it hurts like hell. He said if I dont get moving it, he will cast it at an angle I dont want it at.
The long and winding road..........continues.........
Other than that, no pain meds except celebrex.
Mike

DENNIS B. on 2/22/01 at 15:56 (039664)

HI MIKE. YES, I DO REMEMBER YOU. AM DOING FINE SO FAR. WENT TO DR ON TUES THE 20TH AND HE REMOVED MY 12 STAPLES THAT HE HAD PUT IN. TOLD ME TO WEAN MYSELF OFF OF THE CRUTCHES AND AM DOING SO. IN FACT, HAVEN'T USED THEM AT ALL TODAY. ANKLE GETS STIFF AS THE DAY PROGRESSED, BUT NOT UNMANAGEABLE UNTIL ABOUT 8 OR 9 AT NIGHT. THEN I PROP IT UP ON PILLOWS WHILE RECLINED IN THE LAZY BOY. AS FAR AS FOOT AT AN ANGLE, I HAVEN'T EXPERIENCED THAT. DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU. SEEMS LIKE EACH DR. HAS HES PATIENTS PROGRESS AT A DIFFERENT PACE. I KEPT FLEXING MY TOES WHILE I WAS ON THE NO WEIGHT BEARING DEAL AND IN THE SPLINT OR HALF CAST CONTRAPTION, MAYBE THAT HELPED ME, DON'T KNOW. I ALSO KEPT BENDING THE KNEE AND DID ISOMETRICS TO KEEP ATROPY FROM SETTING IN ON MY QUAD (COULDN'T DO ANYTHING TO REALLY HELP THE CALF). DID THAT ON MY OWN ACCORD. HAD KNEE REBUILT ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO AND GOT ATROPY IN CALF AND QUAD AND IT WAS REALLY DIFFICULT TO BRING THEM BACK. ACTUALLY NEVER DID GET THE QUAD BACK TO WHERE IT WAS B4. IRONICALLY, THAT WAS ON SAME LEG THAT I HAD THE TTS SURGERY. ANYWAY, GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RECOVERY. KEEP ME POSTED.