Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Achilles Tendon/Heel Pain on back of left foot

Posted by Tommy H on 2/10/01 at 17:26 (038635)

I have Achilles Tendon and I was wondering,how long can the effects last?Also,is there anyway I could take anything or wear anything to reduce the pain?The pain is happening when I stretch or put weight on my foot.Whenever I do this,pain shoots up my leg.I am a Window Cleaner and going up and down the ladder all day going to help my problem.I work about 7-8 hours a day.I am wearing a foot support bandage at the moment.Please help,thanks for your time.
Tommy H.

Re: Achilles Tendon/Heel Pain on back of left foot

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/10/01 at 20:16 (038641)

Hi,

The going up and down the ladder is one of the real killers for this problem
There are medications such as vioxx that could help.. Wearing a heel lift.

This can be a very serious and chronic problem without attention.

There are boot casts that you can work in that can take the pressure and weight off of this very important tendon that controls the forward motion of the foot and ankle.

Have you seen any doctors and what do they tell. Tell us more about your condition. How long, what treatment. How did this start. etc.

Tommy h. on 2/11/01 at 13:37 (038682)

Thank you for your prompt reply.I will give you a bit more info on this,it started about a week and a half ago,i was ok in the morning doing my work,when i started to notice a dull pain at the back of my heel which started about 10.30am,and by lunch time 1.00pm,i could hardly walk and was really struggling to get up the ladder so i had to pack it in and come home for the rest of the day.When i tried to put my foot down the pain came from,my heel at the back and when i tried to shift my weight onto the front of the foot the pain shot right across the sole of the foot which was very painfull.I went down to A&E and the DR said i had pulled my achillies tendon and he said to rest up for a couple of days,he also put a support bandage on my foot.And here i am 1 week later off work the time off has helped reduce the pain but it is still there in the form of a dull ache at the back of my left heel just to the left of centre,i am due back at work tomorrow Monday. Your advce is much needed & any solutions to this.This is the first time this has happened to me and if it is not,sorted out will this affect my job,in your opinion what should i do
Cheers Tommy.

Dr. Biehler on 2/11/01 at 19:01 (038704)

I agree with Dr. Z. If you are going to be climing ladders and if it is anything more than a slight sprain, you probably would be better off wearing a reinforced cast on that lower leg and foot. The last thing you want to do is reinjure what is already done. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/10/01 at 20:16 (038641)

Hi,

The going up and down the ladder is one of the real killers for this problem
There are medications such as vioxx that could help.. Wearing a heel lift.

This can be a very serious and chronic problem without attention.

There are boot casts that you can work in that can take the pressure and weight off of this very important tendon that controls the forward motion of the foot and ankle.

Have you seen any doctors and what do they tell. Tell us more about your condition. How long, what treatment. How did this start. etc.

Tommy h. on 2/11/01 at 13:37 (038682)

Thank you for your prompt reply.I will give you a bit more info on this,it started about a week and a half ago,i was ok in the morning doing my work,when i started to notice a dull pain at the back of my heel which started about 10.30am,and by lunch time 1.00pm,i could hardly walk and was really struggling to get up the ladder so i had to pack it in and come home for the rest of the day.When i tried to put my foot down the pain came from,my heel at the back and when i tried to shift my weight onto the front of the foot the pain shot right across the sole of the foot which was very painfull.I went down to A&E and the DR said i had pulled my achillies tendon and he said to rest up for a couple of days,he also put a support bandage on my foot.And here i am 1 week later off work the time off has helped reduce the pain but it is still there in the form of a dull ache at the back of my left heel just to the left of centre,i am due back at work tomorrow Monday. Your advce is much needed & any solutions to this.This is the first time this has happened to me and if it is not,sorted out will this affect my job,in your opinion what should i do
Cheers Tommy.

Dr. Biehler on 2/11/01 at 19:01 (038704)

I agree with Dr. Z. If you are going to be climing ladders and if it is anything more than a slight sprain, you probably would be better off wearing a reinforced cast on that lower leg and foot. The last thing you want to do is reinjure what is already done. Dr. B.