Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Injured right foot...

Posted by Doug M. on 2/11/01 at 01:41 (038652)

Dear Doctors,

I injured my right foot about 1 1/2 years ago while fishing. While wading in a river, I stepped on a rock and slid into a small crevice. The soft soled boots I were wearing did not help to support my foot. My toe and front pad area slid onto another rock, with my heel area still on the first. When my weight settled on the foot, I ripped the tendons and ligaments on the bottom of my foot (springing it like a flexed bow). Ever the procrastinater, I waited several months to go to the doctor (the pain was getting worse). My podiatrist's interning physcician diagnosed a possible heel spur. He prescribed silicone heel cups (which I purchased for $30.00). They caused alot of pain. On a follow up visit, the practicing physician realized the misdiagnosis. X-rays showed that my arch had fallen, and that I had a pre-arthritic condition forming in the sockets of my large toes. The torn tendons and ligaments affected the entire achille's tendon, right up my calf. Cortizone shots helped greatly, but only for a few days at a time. I now sleep with a brace on my right foot at night to keep the tendons from tightening. During the day I wear Spenco 3/4 length insoles with a factory molded arch support. They help somewhat. My problem is that I cannot stand for long periods without great pain. As a police officer, this has effected my entire lifestyle, virtually putting an end to jogging or running (except when I need to catch a bad guy). Instead I walk alot, but still endure pain. I recently saw a news broadcast of the Ossatron Orthopaedic Extracorporeal Shock Wave System. I would value your opinion on this treatment, as I have heard that it is applicable for such injuries. I was also wondering if it would assist an older injury, since I did not seek treatment promptly after injuring my foot.
Thank You,
VitDrache

Re: Injured right foot...

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/11/01 at 06:39 (038660)

This is one of the new revolutionary procedure for CHRONIC heel pain and or plantar fasciitis. If your pain is located at the the plantar fascia at the bottom of the heel bone,there is a very good chance that you are a good candidate for ESWT. We have done over 150 of these procedures with very effective results. The first important aspect is to have a complete examination with a doctor who is then can determine if you are a good candidate. If you would like an ESWT packet with video you can call my office at 1-856-848-3338 and either ask Dawn or Jennifer to send you one.

If you need any additonal information just ask. Filling out the plantar fascia data survey would also help me to help you to determine if you are a good candidate. You can fill it out and e-mail ( footcare@home.com) or fax to me at 1-856-848-5122. I can then give you addtional information that could help you.

Re: Injured right foot...

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/11/01 at 06:39 (038660)

This is one of the new revolutionary procedure for CHRONIC heel pain and or plantar fasciitis. If your pain is located at the the plantar fascia at the bottom of the heel bone,there is a very good chance that you are a good candidate for ESWT. We have done over 150 of these procedures with very effective results. The first important aspect is to have a complete examination with a doctor who is then can determine if you are a good candidate. If you would like an ESWT packet with video you can call my office at 1-856-848-3338 and either ask Dawn or Jennifer to send you one.

If you need any additonal information just ask. Filling out the plantar fascia data survey would also help me to help you to determine if you are a good candidate. You can fill it out and e-mail ( footcare@home.com) or fax to me at 1-856-848-5122. I can then give you addtional information that could help you.