Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

please help

Posted by Maggie J on 2/11/01 at 21:13 (038714)

I have very flat feet. According to my podiatrist the 'arch' completely collapses.He says it is one of the worse cases he has ever seen at my age (41 years old). Several years ago I had surgery on my right foot and was relieved of the pain. Last summer (June 2000) I had surgery on my left foot. But, I am still having intense pain. I had orthodicts made, if I don't wear them I have intense heel pain on both feet. (I did not wear orthodicts prior to the last surgery) If I do wear them I have very intense ankle pain on both feet. When I first wake up I can barely walk. I wake up at night feeling pain in my ankles (both feet) I have gained an awful lot of weight because I can no longer walk (2 years ago I was walking 5-7 miles a day) My Doctor has 'adjusted' the orhodicts a couple of times, each time I get temporary (less than a week) relief. I really like him and have a great deal of faith in him, but I seem to be in constant pain and have started to get very depressed.Please suggest something.
Thank you

Re: please help

Dr. Biehler on 2/12/01 at 09:51 (038724)

A lot depends on what is ment when it is said that your arch completly collapses. This could be a problem with the structrue of the foot as opposed to a foot that flattens do to sever pronation secondary to a ruptures posterior tibial tendon or hyper laxity in your ligaments. If it is do to hyper laxity it is some times possible to control the pronation by putting a flexible ' plug ' in the subtaylor joint or by fusion of the bones. In either case you must be carefull of over correction problems with an orthotic that tries to put your foot bak to a normal position. Dr. B.

Maggie on 2/26/01 at 21:41 (039948)

Doctor,I appreciate your resposne however I am not familiar with many of the terms you used your response. I believe my podiatrist has made reference to the structure of my foot in the past. Since my last post he has sent the orthotics back to the manufacturer to be built up some on the side. I have been without them for about two weeks now. I am now experiencing severe pain on the back of my heel ( I think it is called the achilles tendon). Each morning when I get out of bed I can barely walk. It some times feels like something is 'pulling' or 'breaking'. Ankles and bottom of my heel also continues to be extremely painful.
Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Dr. Biehler on 2/12/01 at 09:51 (038724)

A lot depends on what is ment when it is said that your arch completly collapses. This could be a problem with the structrue of the foot as opposed to a foot that flattens do to sever pronation secondary to a ruptures posterior tibial tendon or hyper laxity in your ligaments. If it is do to hyper laxity it is some times possible to control the pronation by putting a flexible ' plug ' in the subtaylor joint or by fusion of the bones. In either case you must be carefull of over correction problems with an orthotic that tries to put your foot bak to a normal position. Dr. B.

Maggie on 2/26/01 at 21:41 (039948)

Doctor,I appreciate your resposne however I am not familiar with many of the terms you used your response. I believe my podiatrist has made reference to the structure of my foot in the past. Since my last post he has sent the orthotics back to the manufacturer to be built up some on the side. I have been without them for about two weeks now. I am now experiencing severe pain on the back of my heel ( I think it is called the achilles tendon). Each morning when I get out of bed I can barely walk. It some times feels like something is 'pulling' or 'breaking'. Ankles and bottom of my heel also continues to be extremely painful.
Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks