Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Insertional achilles surgery

Posted by John M on 2/12/01 at 15:11 (038738)

I've had insertional pain for years now that was unfortunately diagnosed as standard achilles tendonitis for too many years. I went through PT, casting, long periods of rest, etc. Later is was diagnosed as Haglunds deformity and a surgery was done to take off some bone. Nothing was touched on the achilles according to the orthopod. This was followed by 1 month in a cast and rest for 2 months. No PT was done after this. Went back to running (ultimate frisbee). No pain for months then it came back.
Went to different orthopod - He shaved more bone, said there were 4 small tears in the achilles and 'debrised' the achilles of all the dead tissue. It's been almost 5 months and my PT time is up. I still feel what seems to be more of a tightness during the day, followed by a slight soreness around the achilles - no more sharp pain. Are there any recommendations for exercise and rehab on my own - Doctor has said 2 more months and I should be free to do anything
Thanks

Re: Insertional achilles surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/12/01 at 15:15 (038739)

dale on 2/13/01 at 12:12 (038832)

I had achilles sugery 1/11 and I am still in a cast non weight bearing for 2 more weeks. The dr. took the tendon off back of heel than removed spur and reatached with anchors. Than he lenghtened calf so it would not pull on tendon. I only had pain 2 days after sugery for about 10 hrs. Foot is still swollen. The worst part was the post op sickness from general anesthesia.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/12/01 at 15:15 (038739)

dale on 2/13/01 at 12:12 (038832)

I had achilles sugery 1/11 and I am still in a cast non weight bearing for 2 more weeks. The dr. took the tendon off back of heel than removed spur and reatached with anchors. Than he lenghtened calf so it would not pull on tendon. I only had pain 2 days after sugery for about 10 hrs. Foot is still swollen. The worst part was the post op sickness from general anesthesia.