Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

update

Posted by JudyS on 2/12/01 at 19:56 (038763)

I haven't said much here lately about my own progress and, maybe for the sake of the newcomers, I'd like to take a minute to do so. I want to because I've had a very bad, nasty case of PF for nearly 3 years. I'm very certain that mine was way up there in terms of serious. A year ago I was crawling and was cerain that it would never go away - but I was, and still am, reluctant to have surgery.
I've progressed now so tremendously that I actually have times when I don't even think about it. I'll record here what I've done but I honestly can't say what the 'magic' formula has been because I've tried it all!

The five main ingredients, I think, are:
1. This website - seriously.
2. No 'impact' exercising plus 'time off feet' daily
3. Deep-tissue massage by PT
4. Religious AM stretching daily
5. Waiting

Of course things like good shoes and sensible foot-use go in there too. My heel pain continues to subside. Now that I'm using no inserts at all, my extra-arch pain seems to be subsiding. My doc's idea of wrapping the one painful arch with elastic seems to be helping. I'm going to the track every other day to walk a lap then jog a lap for 30 minutes. So far no after-effects from it and, frankly - it seems to be helping in that, as my lower legs get stronger my gait improves and there is less arch-pressure. I ice and do ibuprofen after every time. I've been using the Homedics heated foot massager every evening. I stretch gently every evening.
It's not completely gone, but I can function nicely. And to be back on that track is so rewarding that I can't express my joy - I don't even care if I ever get back to a 5-mile run.
I guess that I'd like to make the point that perserverance may be the only real key to relief from PF - notwithstanding medical intervention such as surgery or ESWT. I suspect I'd have healed within the first year if I'd followed the prescribed regimin from the start.

Re: update

Julie F on 2/13/01 at 02:34 (038796)

Judy, thanks for posting your update. It will surely be heartening to new people on the board, but mostly I'm thrilled that you're back on the track now. That's absolutely wonderful! It has made me realize that we tend to 'fix' people's conditions in our minds, and we really need to know when people are getting better. Here's you saying you are jogging again, when I've always envisaged you sitting down (as in your photo). As I said, I'm thrilled!

If I were to list my own five main ingredients, I would have to include taping, but otherwise my 1, 2, 4 and 5 would be identical to yours (except that if we were to compare, we'd find that my stretches were probably different from yours - everybody needs to find the ones that are right for them).

But for me, your 5 ('waiting') would be nearer the top. I really think that patience is THE main ingredient That's the big lesson of PF, and a very useful one it is.

Keep on tracking and keep your updates updated. It's really useful.

Julie

Barbara TX on 2/13/01 at 09:22 (038807)

You have helped me today so tremendously... from the beginning of your post I would have thought that you had a relapse! This just shows that you can have pf for a good amount of time and still recover nicely with conservative methods. I remember grilling you about how bad you were, not even thinking that you might have been in the 'horrible case' category like me, but indeed you were! Watching your posts gives me such a lift. I hope you stay with us and keep posting about all the things that you are able to do! Enjoy! B.

JudyS on 2/13/01 at 11:24 (038824)

Well girl, if I ever find myself lucky enough to be sharing a bottle of wine with NancyS again, I'll gladly stay sitting down for that event! Thx for your post....

Re: update - Thanks Judy

Donna SL on 2/14/01 at 02:04 (038917)

Judy,

Thanks so much for posting your message. I was feeling really down tonight. I had been feeling pretty good the last few weeks with very little, or no heel pain, but haven't been doing that much walking. I was on my feet for a couple of hours today , and doing more walking than usual, and I started getting heel pain again. It wasn't anywhere near the pain I had months ago, but it was enough for me to have to come home, and get off my feet. I was just thinking will this ever go away? You gave me a lot of hope. I had really severe pain in the heels, entire foot, and arch for around a year, and milder off and on the year prior. The majority of pain I get now is in the back of the heel, which is probably due to the lingering tendonitis.

I've noticed my gait is much more wobbly than it was before I got PF, or whatever this is , and was upset that my ankles felt more unstable than usual, and felt like they are getting strained/sprained when I walk. Did you feel like you were all over the place in the beginning when you felt good enough to increase your walking? I have high arches, and just started using an older firmer orthotic with a lower arch I had made years ago, because they now feel better then the super soft ones I made last summer. I was told my older ones only correct me around 30%, but I was never this unstable in these before. I don't even know if the new ones that I'm waiting for will even be any good, or help that much, and would like not to have to be dependent on them. Also, I started just wrapping my arch with tape, and noticed the pain in the arch is subsiding. What kind of elastic are you using?

I think you mentioned a little while back you had high arches, but I don't remember if you had any problems with exessive supination, forefoot problems, etc. Also, what kind of shoes do you wear the majority of the time? Do you wear any OTC's, heel pads/lifts, etc. in your shoes. I've tried the spenco cross trainers, and can now tolerate them in the heels, but they seem to make my foot even more unstable.

Thanks again, Donna

Re: Donna

JudyS on 2/22/01 at 21:20 (039692)

Donna I'm so sorry - I've been gone for a week and missed your questions here until now. Yes I did mention before that I have high arches. I've finally just quit trying to use any inserts and my extra-arch soreness is slowly getting better. I think my Pod still wants to alter my custom orthotics to try so, well, we'll see! I wrapped the bad arch with a piece of elastic (like ace bandage material) that has a velcro connection. I got it by taking a 'Fabs' arch elastic I had and removing the arch pad, just leaving the elastic strap. I confess that I haven't used it in a week or so. The shoes that are the absolute most comfy are my Josef Seibel clogs. They can make me forget that I have PF. I like your description of 'wobbly' ankles! That's it exactly! Then you get aches and pains in other parts of your feet! But my lower legs are slowly getting stronger as I get to use them more so I really can feel it when my gait is correct. sometimes you just have to get over the fear of walking correctly. I find myself having to consciously remind myself that it's OK to do so - that the soreness is almost gone.

Julie F on 2/13/01 at 02:34 (038796)

Judy, thanks for posting your update. It will surely be heartening to new people on the board, but mostly I'm thrilled that you're back on the track now. That's absolutely wonderful! It has made me realize that we tend to 'fix' people's conditions in our minds, and we really need to know when people are getting better. Here's you saying you are jogging again, when I've always envisaged you sitting down (as in your photo). As I said, I'm thrilled!

If I were to list my own five main ingredients, I would have to include taping, but otherwise my 1, 2, 4 and 5 would be identical to yours (except that if we were to compare, we'd find that my stretches were probably different from yours - everybody needs to find the ones that are right for them).

But for me, your 5 ('waiting') would be nearer the top. I really think that patience is THE main ingredient That's the big lesson of PF, and a very useful one it is.

Keep on tracking and keep your updates updated. It's really useful.

Julie

Barbara TX on 2/13/01 at 09:22 (038807)

You have helped me today so tremendously... from the beginning of your post I would have thought that you had a relapse! This just shows that you can have pf for a good amount of time and still recover nicely with conservative methods. I remember grilling you about how bad you were, not even thinking that you might have been in the 'horrible case' category like me, but indeed you were! Watching your posts gives me such a lift. I hope you stay with us and keep posting about all the things that you are able to do! Enjoy! B.

JudyS on 2/13/01 at 11:24 (038824)

Well girl, if I ever find myself lucky enough to be sharing a bottle of wine with NancyS again, I'll gladly stay sitting down for that event! Thx for your post....

Re: update - Thanks Judy

Donna SL on 2/14/01 at 02:04 (038917)

Judy,

Thanks so much for posting your message. I was feeling really down tonight. I had been feeling pretty good the last few weeks with very little, or no heel pain, but haven't been doing that much walking. I was on my feet for a couple of hours today , and doing more walking than usual, and I started getting heel pain again. It wasn't anywhere near the pain I had months ago, but it was enough for me to have to come home, and get off my feet. I was just thinking will this ever go away? You gave me a lot of hope. I had really severe pain in the heels, entire foot, and arch for around a year, and milder off and on the year prior. The majority of pain I get now is in the back of the heel, which is probably due to the lingering tendonitis.

I've noticed my gait is much more wobbly than it was before I got PF, or whatever this is , and was upset that my ankles felt more unstable than usual, and felt like they are getting strained/sprained when I walk. Did you feel like you were all over the place in the beginning when you felt good enough to increase your walking? I have high arches, and just started using an older firmer orthotic with a lower arch I had made years ago, because they now feel better then the super soft ones I made last summer. I was told my older ones only correct me around 30%, but I was never this unstable in these before. I don't even know if the new ones that I'm waiting for will even be any good, or help that much, and would like not to have to be dependent on them. Also, I started just wrapping my arch with tape, and noticed the pain in the arch is subsiding. What kind of elastic are you using?

I think you mentioned a little while back you had high arches, but I don't remember if you had any problems with exessive supination, forefoot problems, etc. Also, what kind of shoes do you wear the majority of the time? Do you wear any OTC's, heel pads/lifts, etc. in your shoes. I've tried the spenco cross trainers, and can now tolerate them in the heels, but they seem to make my foot even more unstable.

Thanks again, Donna

Re: Donna

JudyS on 2/22/01 at 21:20 (039692)

Donna I'm so sorry - I've been gone for a week and missed your questions here until now. Yes I did mention before that I have high arches. I've finally just quit trying to use any inserts and my extra-arch soreness is slowly getting better. I think my Pod still wants to alter my custom orthotics to try so, well, we'll see! I wrapped the bad arch with a piece of elastic (like ace bandage material) that has a velcro connection. I got it by taking a 'Fabs' arch elastic I had and removing the arch pad, just leaving the elastic strap. I confess that I haven't used it in a week or so. The shoes that are the absolute most comfy are my Josef Seibel clogs. They can make me forget that I have PF. I like your description of 'wobbly' ankles! That's it exactly! Then you get aches and pains in other parts of your feet! But my lower legs are slowly getting stronger as I get to use them more so I really can feel it when my gait is correct. sometimes you just have to get over the fear of walking correctly. I find myself having to consciously remind myself that it's OK to do so - that the soreness is almost gone.