Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recovery

Posted by Stacey G on 2/12/01 at 23:09 (038781)

Dear Doctors, Hi, my question is how long does it take to recovery from open planter release? It's been 8 mos since my first surgery, 5 mos since my 2nd surgery. My heel is still swollen and numb and I can't walk for long and can't be on my feet for long periods of time. They tellme there is no more they can do for me, but I'm still in pain. I sometimes have pains that go up my leg and my leg aches alot. I've had a MRI and they found nothing, I'm sorry I don't buy that because there is still something thats not right with my foot. The pain is real the swelling is real and the numbness is real. What should I do?
Thanks

Re: Recovery

Dr.. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 00:48 (038786)

Usually up to six months. When you have both feet done the healing time is longer.

Get a second opinion. There are some people that can take up to a year or longerto heal Further evaluation may be needed. Physical therapy could help you.

So go another opinion.

Stacey G on 2/13/01 at 09:41 (038810)

Dr. Z. I had one foot done twice and its been real hard on me to get around. I've had P.T 4 times, twice with the first surgery, went to different doctor for 2nd surgery and did P.T. twice with that surgery, nothing helped. Feels like there is rock in heel. Then went to 3rd doctor and he says there is nothing to be done. So, here I am unable to walk for short periods of time and by the end of the day my leg and foot ache so bad it's hard to sleep. This has been hell.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 18:19 (038877)

This is a tough situation to be in. Could you tell me more about what has been told to you. I know you probaby told me but I need you to refresh me again. Has anyone mentioned or discussed ESWT for this problem.

Today I had a patient that had two surgeries done on his foot by another doc. I have used ESWT twice on him. Today he made me smile. It was the first time in two years that the pain was really reduced.

So there is hope. Yes there is hope. So tell me more about your foot and any thing and everything about it.

If you feel more comfortable then e-mail at footcare@home.com

Stacey G on 2/13/01 at 20:02 (038891)

Dr.Z, I went to the first doctor last March with heel pain, He taped my foot, and when that didn't help he put me in a aircast for a few weeks, that didn't help so he did surgery in June to release the planterfascia, he said it was inflamed. I was not recovering so he put me on Vioxx and sent me to physical therapy for 1 month. Had bad reaction to vioxx. Nothing helped for the inflamation. Did my P.T but did not feel better. The therapist agreed nothing was working. The doctor said there was nothing more he could do and sent me to another doctor(orthopedist),he never suggested anything but surgery,so I had surgery again in Sept. and he released more of the fascia. He too sent me to P.T for a month, nothing helped so he sent me back for another month,it didn't help. He did a MRI and it showed nothing so he drop me and released me back to work. I never went back to work because there was to much pain. So, I went to a 3rd doctor(podiatrist)and he said he could not help he said to much damage had been done and that I never should of had surgery he said orthotitics would of helped and but now my foot was to swollen and I can't put pressure on my heel. I walk on my toes alot and just wearing a shoe on the right foot hurts alot. My heel is numb and there hasn't been any change at all. It feels like there is a rock in the heel. If I squeeze my heel between my fingers(each side of the heel) the pain is really bad. My foot aches and my leg aches by the middle of the day. I sometimes use a cane but it doesn't help to much. My heel is purple and its been that way since the first surgery. I'm in a state that does have a place for ESWT, so waht can I do? I can't travel to a new another state for the procedure. My arch hurts and now my left foot hurts too. Any input? I do appreciate this web sight he helps to ask questions and to get feedback.

Thank you

Dr/. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 20:32 (038893)

I would get you in a hard below the need cast. What do the doctors say is causing your pain. You need to get yourself in some kind of cast as soon as possible. So long as you are walking in pain you could be hurting the foot more.

What state do you live in.?/

Barbara TX on 2/13/01 at 22:20 (038903)

Hello Stacey - glad that you posted... I'm not a doctor, but I wanted to offer you a little support. There is still much to be done about your pain, so set your mind at ease about getting through this. You surely will. Sounds like you have had two surgeries since last March? That is a lot for a poor foot to handle in such a span of time. You may need six months or more to recover from a single pf release. Are you able to find relief by not walking on the foot and resting, or do you hav resting pain as well? I am sure that you can figure this out with time, rest, and everybody's help. B.

Stacey G on 2/14/01 at 21:12 (039002)

Dr.Z, Do I need to go to podiatrist to suggest the cast. Do you think it will make a difference? Can I go to my family doctor?

Dr.. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 00:48 (038786)

Usually up to six months. When you have both feet done the healing time is longer.

Get a second opinion. There are some people that can take up to a year or longerto heal Further evaluation may be needed. Physical therapy could help you.

So go another opinion.

Stacey G on 2/13/01 at 09:41 (038810)

Dr. Z. I had one foot done twice and its been real hard on me to get around. I've had P.T 4 times, twice with the first surgery, went to different doctor for 2nd surgery and did P.T. twice with that surgery, nothing helped. Feels like there is rock in heel. Then went to 3rd doctor and he says there is nothing to be done. So, here I am unable to walk for short periods of time and by the end of the day my leg and foot ache so bad it's hard to sleep. This has been hell.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 18:19 (038877)

This is a tough situation to be in. Could you tell me more about what has been told to you. I know you probaby told me but I need you to refresh me again. Has anyone mentioned or discussed ESWT for this problem.

Today I had a patient that had two surgeries done on his foot by another doc. I have used ESWT twice on him. Today he made me smile. It was the first time in two years that the pain was really reduced.

So there is hope. Yes there is hope. So tell me more about your foot and any thing and everything about it.

If you feel more comfortable then e-mail at footcare@home.com

Stacey G on 2/13/01 at 20:02 (038891)

Dr.Z, I went to the first doctor last March with heel pain, He taped my foot, and when that didn't help he put me in a aircast for a few weeks, that didn't help so he did surgery in June to release the planterfascia, he said it was inflamed. I was not recovering so he put me on Vioxx and sent me to physical therapy for 1 month. Had bad reaction to vioxx. Nothing helped for the inflamation. Did my P.T but did not feel better. The therapist agreed nothing was working. The doctor said there was nothing more he could do and sent me to another doctor(orthopedist),he never suggested anything but surgery,so I had surgery again in Sept. and he released more of the fascia. He too sent me to P.T for a month, nothing helped so he sent me back for another month,it didn't help. He did a MRI and it showed nothing so he drop me and released me back to work. I never went back to work because there was to much pain. So, I went to a 3rd doctor(podiatrist)and he said he could not help he said to much damage had been done and that I never should of had surgery he said orthotitics would of helped and but now my foot was to swollen and I can't put pressure on my heel. I walk on my toes alot and just wearing a shoe on the right foot hurts alot. My heel is numb and there hasn't been any change at all. It feels like there is a rock in the heel. If I squeeze my heel between my fingers(each side of the heel) the pain is really bad. My foot aches and my leg aches by the middle of the day. I sometimes use a cane but it doesn't help to much. My heel is purple and its been that way since the first surgery. I'm in a state that does have a place for ESWT, so waht can I do? I can't travel to a new another state for the procedure. My arch hurts and now my left foot hurts too. Any input? I do appreciate this web sight he helps to ask questions and to get feedback.

Thank you

Dr/. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 20:32 (038893)

I would get you in a hard below the need cast. What do the doctors say is causing your pain. You need to get yourself in some kind of cast as soon as possible. So long as you are walking in pain you could be hurting the foot more.

What state do you live in.?/

Barbara TX on 2/13/01 at 22:20 (038903)

Hello Stacey - glad that you posted... I'm not a doctor, but I wanted to offer you a little support. There is still much to be done about your pain, so set your mind at ease about getting through this. You surely will. Sounds like you have had two surgeries since last March? That is a lot for a poor foot to handle in such a span of time. You may need six months or more to recover from a single pf release. Are you able to find relief by not walking on the foot and resting, or do you hav resting pain as well? I am sure that you can figure this out with time, rest, and everybody's help. B.

Stacey G on 2/14/01 at 21:12 (039002)

Dr.Z, Do I need to go to podiatrist to suggest the cast. Do you think it will make a difference? Can I go to my family doctor?