Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tarsal tunnel vs neuropathy

Posted by Ruth on 2/13/01 at 03:58 (038798)

What is the difference between tarsal tunnel and neuropathy?? Is neuropathy the result of tarsal tunnel?

Re: tarsal tunnel vs neuropathy

wendyn on 2/13/01 at 13:11 (038837)

Ruth, I am not a doctor but I hope this helps...

Neuropathy is a very general term which basically means an injury to nerves. Neuropathy can be caused by injury or disease. You have a centreal nervous system (brain and spinal cord) and peripheral nerves that come from that to your fingers and toes etc. People who have problems with those nerves are said to have peripheral neuropathy.

To complicate things futher - you can have a mononeuropathy (problem with one nerve) or a polyneuropathy (problems with more than one nerve).

There are motor nerves, sensory nerves, and autonomic nerves. What type of neuropathy you have and the cause will contribute to what's effected.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome are usually consdiered mononeuropathies - caused theortically by compression of the nerve within the tunnel (in the foot it's the Posterior Tibial Nerve). 'Syndrome' only really describes a collection of symptoms - so you could have someone with diabetic neuropathy, who displays TTS symptoms - but who has an entirely different cause than someone with a big ganglion sitting in their tarsal tunnel causing the same type of symptoms.

Does this help or just really confuse things?

Re: tarsal tunnel vs neuropathy

wendyn on 2/13/01 at 13:11 (038837)

Ruth, I am not a doctor but I hope this helps...

Neuropathy is a very general term which basically means an injury to nerves. Neuropathy can be caused by injury or disease. You have a centreal nervous system (brain and spinal cord) and peripheral nerves that come from that to your fingers and toes etc. People who have problems with those nerves are said to have peripheral neuropathy.

To complicate things futher - you can have a mononeuropathy (problem with one nerve) or a polyneuropathy (problems with more than one nerve).

There are motor nerves, sensory nerves, and autonomic nerves. What type of neuropathy you have and the cause will contribute to what's effected.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome are usually consdiered mononeuropathies - caused theortically by compression of the nerve within the tunnel (in the foot it's the Posterior Tibial Nerve). 'Syndrome' only really describes a collection of symptoms - so you could have someone with diabetic neuropathy, who displays TTS symptoms - but who has an entirely different cause than someone with a big ganglion sitting in their tarsal tunnel causing the same type of symptoms.

Does this help or just really confuse things?