Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT

Posted by SandraG on 2/13/01 at 11:38 (038825)

I would like to hear from people who have had ESWT with Dr. Zukerman, and if this is a painful experience. I would like to know when them began to show some improvment in their condition. Or if they feel the experience was a success or frankly a waste of money.
Sandra

Re: ESWT

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 11:47 (038828)

Why don'tyou take a look at the patient progress report for my site. There are e-mail addresses there .

Go to the search engines and take a look at the various people that have had ESWT done at my office. Yes there is going to be people that get no relief from ESWT no matter who has done the procedure . We have done ESWT in over one fifty cases so if you are looking for either a non-surgical and some experience this could be good for you.. I hope you do understand that ESWT doesn't help all plantar fascia cases or heelspur pain cases.

So do the research or see who reponds to this post.

So tell us more about you heel pain problem. Have you been told that ESWT could help you. ? I am aways here to answer and try to help you with your decisions.

Lori E. on 2/13/01 at 12:47 (038835)

I just had my second ESWT and I am happy to report that even with the first round of ESWT I saw improvement very soon after the first treatment. I went to get the second at 8 weeks after my first ESWT because my progress had stalled out at about a 3 pain level. I am hoping this will finally bring about complete relief.
As for if it is a painful experience. I would say it's not really painful just kind of an annoying sensation. ESWT is a shock wave hitting a very precise spot on your foot. I had both treatments without a pain block and felt no great pain. Dr. Z showed me what full energy was like this time, and I would say if you are getting high energy you might want to get a pain block, but I don't think it is anything to be fearful of.
I am now a bit sore, but I understand that is to be expected. It doesn't have to cutting, glass-like pain that my PF had before treatment.
Some others who had ESWT have had some discomfort or pain from what I have read, but I think it had to do with individual pain thresholds. If you are a person who has a high pain threshold, no problem. But if not, you can get pain medication for the treatment.
I think that ESWT is definitely worth a try before having surgery. It has no bad side effects like the numbness you can get from surgery.

Cynthia D on 2/14/01 at 07:29 (038926)

I can agree with Lori. I'm glad you wrote, Lori, because I was wondering how #2 went for you.

I had ESWT last Monday with Dr. Z. (I call him Dr. Wizard). I can tell you that everyone seems to have a different experience with it. Most folks have no or very little pain with the procedure. I'm not that great with any kind of pain, so I needed some shots to numb my feet and demerol to calm me down. But it really wasn't a big deal and even worth the long trip from Boston because the sharp stabbing feeling of pf is gone!! Gone!! I, of course, am very tender and have pain off and on (yesterday was the worst day), but I know that you have to give it up to 12 weeks to get the full benefit. Unlike surgery, you can walk around right away and can resume 'normal' life after a few weeks, or some people can after a few days.

In short, I would say that ESWT was a lot more serious than I had expected, but I am still very glad I had it. PF is also very serious and shouldn't be ignored. Good luck. Read the ESWT section, ask Dr. Z. or your doctor for info, go to the website of the manufacturer your doctor will be using the product of (Healthtronics or Norland (Norlent?), or in Canada, Sonorex. And feel free to ask any of us here more questions.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 11:47 (038828)

Why don'tyou take a look at the patient progress report for my site. There are e-mail addresses there .

Go to the search engines and take a look at the various people that have had ESWT done at my office. Yes there is going to be people that get no relief from ESWT no matter who has done the procedure . We have done ESWT in over one fifty cases so if you are looking for either a non-surgical and some experience this could be good for you.. I hope you do understand that ESWT doesn't help all plantar fascia cases or heelspur pain cases.

So do the research or see who reponds to this post.

So tell us more about you heel pain problem. Have you been told that ESWT could help you. ? I am aways here to answer and try to help you with your decisions.

Lori E. on 2/13/01 at 12:47 (038835)

I just had my second ESWT and I am happy to report that even with the first round of ESWT I saw improvement very soon after the first treatment. I went to get the second at 8 weeks after my first ESWT because my progress had stalled out at about a 3 pain level. I am hoping this will finally bring about complete relief.
As for if it is a painful experience. I would say it's not really painful just kind of an annoying sensation. ESWT is a shock wave hitting a very precise spot on your foot. I had both treatments without a pain block and felt no great pain. Dr. Z showed me what full energy was like this time, and I would say if you are getting high energy you might want to get a pain block, but I don't think it is anything to be fearful of.
I am now a bit sore, but I understand that is to be expected. It doesn't have to cutting, glass-like pain that my PF had before treatment.
Some others who had ESWT have had some discomfort or pain from what I have read, but I think it had to do with individual pain thresholds. If you are a person who has a high pain threshold, no problem. But if not, you can get pain medication for the treatment.
I think that ESWT is definitely worth a try before having surgery. It has no bad side effects like the numbness you can get from surgery.

Cynthia D on 2/14/01 at 07:29 (038926)

I can agree with Lori. I'm glad you wrote, Lori, because I was wondering how #2 went for you.

I had ESWT last Monday with Dr. Z. (I call him Dr. Wizard). I can tell you that everyone seems to have a different experience with it. Most folks have no or very little pain with the procedure. I'm not that great with any kind of pain, so I needed some shots to numb my feet and demerol to calm me down. But it really wasn't a big deal and even worth the long trip from Boston because the sharp stabbing feeling of pf is gone!! Gone!! I, of course, am very tender and have pain off and on (yesterday was the worst day), but I know that you have to give it up to 12 weeks to get the full benefit. Unlike surgery, you can walk around right away and can resume 'normal' life after a few weeks, or some people can after a few days.

In short, I would say that ESWT was a lot more serious than I had expected, but I am still very glad I had it. PF is also very serious and shouldn't be ignored. Good luck. Read the ESWT section, ask Dr. Z. or your doctor for info, go to the website of the manufacturer your doctor will be using the product of (Healthtronics or Norland (Norlent?), or in Canada, Sonorex. And feel free to ask any of us here more questions.