Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

bursitis or achilles tendonitis

Posted by Sandra J. on 2/13/01 at 12:33 (038834)

Hi,
About 6 months ago my doctor told me I had either bursitis or achilles tendonitis which had developed as a result of a virus I had earlier in the year. He prescribed Vioxx to be taken every couple of days. I am still suffering. The Vioxx does not seem to help. Is there anything I can do to help things along myself other than the Vioxx? Would heel supports work at all? I'm not extremely active. I have a desk job. However, when I get up to walk around I hobble for several minutes and if I have to walk a long distance it make the back of my heel ache. It also feels as if I'm losing flexibility in that ankle. Help please!

Re: bursitis or achilles tendonitis

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 17:39 (038866)

You need to jump on this now. Physical therapy. No bare feet. Stretching before you place any weight on the heel. The reason that you limp after periods of rest is due to the shortening of the Achilles tendon which is injured.

The most important piece of advice is don't just think that this is going to get better without active treatment. Get yourself to physical therapy.

If this isn't possible let me know and we can come up with an at home treatment plan.

Re: Try the "Pro-Stretch" or the "Calf Step Stretch" products!

Kim B. on 2/14/01 at 00:33 (038913)

Try the 'Pro-Stretch' or the 'Calf Step Stretch' products! It's just the ticket for the kind of pain you described. You will find the 'Pro-Stretch' in Scott's show case of products area, on the first page of this site. The Calf Step =Stetch is at http://www.feelgoodfast.com , and the store at the site http://www.intelihealth.com . It may be called intellihomehealth.com. I'm not sure at the moment, but it's in some of the other posts I've made about this kind of product.

Personally, I have the product called the Calf Step Stretch. I've posted on it several times and you can pull up my posts by using the key word search option at the top of each message board page. I sort of favor mine because that is the one I know the most about. The Pro-stretch looks identical. The instruction book that came with mine is fabulous and provides photographs and clear instructions on how to get the most beneficial stretch.

Sure, alomost anyone can teach themselves stretches, but the beauty of this device is that you do it correctly each and every time because it hold your foot in the correct position each time. Consiquiently, the benefits come sooner, And, there is very little chance of accidentally injuring yourself, which is the last thing you need on top of the problems you already have.

It feels great too! Please read my post about this product, and you will identify, I'm sure. My calves love it, my plantar fascia benefits too, and best for you, my achillies love it as well as my claves do!

There are even specific ways of using the device to target the achillies areas. It's quick, it's easy, it feels good, they are inexpensive and highly durable. Runners use this kind of device before and after a run. So even healthy people use it to reduce risk of injury. It goes out of town with me when I go somewhere. When my calves and achillies tendons get tight, I loosen 'em up safely and easily.

Good luck! Let me know if I can be of any assistance. You'll feel a benifit in about a week or two max. If you go this route, please post back on what it did (or didn't) do for you. BTW, the one I got offered a 30 day money back guarantee. So it was a no loose deal to try. The Pro-Stretch probably does too. BTW, I have no financial connection to either of these manufacturers or distributors.

Kim B.

sandra j on 2/14/01 at 12:07 (038951)

Thanks for responding. I've made an appointment with my doctor again. What should I expect? If he wants to put me on the Vioxx again or something similar, what then? Do these drugs just help the pain or do they actually help heal the problem? Also, do you think I could still be suffering do to still having the virus in my body or could this just be leftover? I've never heard of developing something like this because of a virus, but after a lot of bloodwork it was determined that I definitely had been fighting off something. I have to admit that I do the barefoot thing a lot. Are there any kinds of shoes I should avoid? Thanks!

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 17:39 (038866)

You need to jump on this now. Physical therapy. No bare feet. Stretching before you place any weight on the heel. The reason that you limp after periods of rest is due to the shortening of the Achilles tendon which is injured.

The most important piece of advice is don't just think that this is going to get better without active treatment. Get yourself to physical therapy.

If this isn't possible let me know and we can come up with an at home treatment plan.

Re: Try the "Pro-Stretch" or the "Calf Step Stretch" products!

Kim B. on 2/14/01 at 00:33 (038913)

Try the 'Pro-Stretch' or the 'Calf Step Stretch' products! It's just the ticket for the kind of pain you described. You will find the 'Pro-Stretch' in Scott's show case of products area, on the first page of this site. The Calf Step =Stetch is at http://www.feelgoodfast.com , and the store at the site http://www.intelihealth.com . It may be called intellihomehealth.com. I'm not sure at the moment, but it's in some of the other posts I've made about this kind of product.

Personally, I have the product called the Calf Step Stretch. I've posted on it several times and you can pull up my posts by using the key word search option at the top of each message board page. I sort of favor mine because that is the one I know the most about. The Pro-stretch looks identical. The instruction book that came with mine is fabulous and provides photographs and clear instructions on how to get the most beneficial stretch.

Sure, alomost anyone can teach themselves stretches, but the beauty of this device is that you do it correctly each and every time because it hold your foot in the correct position each time. Consiquiently, the benefits come sooner, And, there is very little chance of accidentally injuring yourself, which is the last thing you need on top of the problems you already have.

It feels great too! Please read my post about this product, and you will identify, I'm sure. My calves love it, my plantar fascia benefits too, and best for you, my achillies love it as well as my claves do!

There are even specific ways of using the device to target the achillies areas. It's quick, it's easy, it feels good, they are inexpensive and highly durable. Runners use this kind of device before and after a run. So even healthy people use it to reduce risk of injury. It goes out of town with me when I go somewhere. When my calves and achillies tendons get tight, I loosen 'em up safely and easily.

Good luck! Let me know if I can be of any assistance. You'll feel a benifit in about a week or two max. If you go this route, please post back on what it did (or didn't) do for you. BTW, the one I got offered a 30 day money back guarantee. So it was a no loose deal to try. The Pro-Stretch probably does too. BTW, I have no financial connection to either of these manufacturers or distributors.

Kim B.

sandra j on 2/14/01 at 12:07 (038951)

Thanks for responding. I've made an appointment with my doctor again. What should I expect? If he wants to put me on the Vioxx again or something similar, what then? Do these drugs just help the pain or do they actually help heal the problem? Also, do you think I could still be suffering do to still having the virus in my body or could this just be leftover? I've never heard of developing something like this because of a virus, but after a lot of bloodwork it was determined that I definitely had been fighting off something. I have to admit that I do the barefoot thing a lot. Are there any kinds of shoes I should avoid? Thanks!