Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How to evaluate likelihood of success??

Posted by John M. on 2/13/01 at 13:28 (038839)

I have had heel pain for 8 to 10 years. Recently it's been getting worse. X-rays show a heel spur. My podiatrist is reluctant to do anything beyond supports or cushions. Not a big fan of surgery, not really familiar with ESWT. At 54, I'm not really happy about living with this aggravation for the rest of my life if I can help it.

How do I obtain an independent evaluation of what ESWT can do for me? Since I live in Maine, there aren't any clinics close by. Any ideas how to proceed with this investigation?

There is an incomplete posting in the machine section about a possible install in Massachusetts. Not clear if this is current or proposed.

Re: How to evaluate likelihood of success??

Dr Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 14:19 (038842)

If you would fill out the plantar fascia survey on the home page I would be happy to see if you are a candidate for ESWT.

Either e-mail this survey at footcare@home.com or fax to DR. Zuckerman at 1-856-848-5122

I you have an questions feel free to ask us on this board. Use the search engine for help. Ask patients. I will give you my opinion if you can fill out this form . I find it very helpful for an evaluation.

Cynthia D on 2/13/01 at 16:45 (038858)

Hi John. I, too didn't want to have surgery (not yet, anyway). I had pf 4 years. I just had ESWT last Monday by Dr. Z. in New Jersey. I live in Mass., and never heard of any machine here of any type, ossatron, orbasone, or sonorex. So as far as I know, you have to travel or wait. If I get cured, it was well worth the trip. Good Luck.

John M. on 2/15/01 at 08:41 (039034)

Cynthia, thanks for the feedback. Guess my question is more along the line of 'What led you to ESWT?'

I can't see going to a foreign country(New Jersey is more foreign to me than Canada!!) without some indication in advance that the treatment would be useful to me as an individual.. Did you send records or x-rays in advance?

Glad to see it's working for you.

Cynthia D on 2/16/01 at 10:47 (039149)

Hi John. No I didn't take anything at all with me but my years of suffering and pain. I guess what led me to Dr. Z. was that I just couldn't take the pain any more. It got so bad that I think I was getting depressed a little, so I decided through reading everything here that I could about it, and going to the websites and requesting info from both Healthtronics, Sonorex and Norlent about the machines, requesting info including a video from Dr. Z., etc.

When the pain gets bad enough you'll know when the time is right that you'll try anything. I'm usually very conservative regarding anything new or without a long history, but I just couldn't live with the pain any more and all the conventional methods had failed, splints, pt, shots, meds., etc.

Dr. Z will ask you what he needs to know (or any other doc) to see if you will benefit by this treatment). He took more xrays in his office before treatment so I didn't take mine with me, they were old anyway. Good luck.

Cynthia D on 2/16/01 at 10:53 (039151)

Sorry, I'm distracted. One of the main sources of information was of course this website and all the wonderful folks who gave me encouragement, info, and support!

Dr Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 14:19 (038842)

If you would fill out the plantar fascia survey on the home page I would be happy to see if you are a candidate for ESWT.

Either e-mail this survey at footcare@home.com or fax to DR. Zuckerman at 1-856-848-5122

I you have an questions feel free to ask us on this board. Use the search engine for help. Ask patients. I will give you my opinion if you can fill out this form . I find it very helpful for an evaluation.

Cynthia D on 2/13/01 at 16:45 (038858)

Hi John. I, too didn't want to have surgery (not yet, anyway). I had pf 4 years. I just had ESWT last Monday by Dr. Z. in New Jersey. I live in Mass., and never heard of any machine here of any type, ossatron, orbasone, or sonorex. So as far as I know, you have to travel or wait. If I get cured, it was well worth the trip. Good Luck.

John M. on 2/15/01 at 08:41 (039034)

Cynthia, thanks for the feedback. Guess my question is more along the line of 'What led you to ESWT?'

I can't see going to a foreign country(New Jersey is more foreign to me than Canada!!) without some indication in advance that the treatment would be useful to me as an individual.. Did you send records or x-rays in advance?

Glad to see it's working for you.

Cynthia D on 2/16/01 at 10:47 (039149)

Hi John. No I didn't take anything at all with me but my years of suffering and pain. I guess what led me to Dr. Z. was that I just couldn't take the pain any more. It got so bad that I think I was getting depressed a little, so I decided through reading everything here that I could about it, and going to the websites and requesting info from both Healthtronics, Sonorex and Norlent about the machines, requesting info including a video from Dr. Z., etc.

When the pain gets bad enough you'll know when the time is right that you'll try anything. I'm usually very conservative regarding anything new or without a long history, but I just couldn't live with the pain any more and all the conventional methods had failed, splints, pt, shots, meds., etc.

Dr. Z will ask you what he needs to know (or any other doc) to see if you will benefit by this treatment). He took more xrays in his office before treatment so I didn't take mine with me, they were old anyway. Good luck.

Cynthia D on 2/16/01 at 10:53 (039151)

Sorry, I'm distracted. One of the main sources of information was of course this website and all the wonderful folks who gave me encouragement, info, and support!