Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tarsal tunnel release and other surgery?

Posted by GinaC on 2/13/01 at 14:19 (038841)

After 4 years of pf in both feet, and various treatments including night splint, anti-inflammatories, casting, stretching, orthotics, acupuncture, and 2 ESWT treatments (ossatron) I'm now considering surgery. Have also tested positive for tarsal tunnel in both feet within the last 6 months, with right testing more strongly than left. Saw an ortho dr, specializing in foot and ankle, who recommended plantar fasciotomy, spur excision, and tarsal tunnel release for the more painful left foot. He said the spur was huge and could be felt manually in the area where I experience pain. He also felt that if he does surgery, he would like to examine every possible source of pain. He feels he can do this through a 1-2 inch incision using an open procedure. Saw a podiatrist today for a second opinion. Pod recommended I wait another year before surgery. He was particularly skeptical of the tarsal tunnel release, as although my nerve conduction test was positive, I have never had a positive Tinels. He felt that without Tinel or some experince of pain shooting to the toes or up the leg, the outcome of the tarsal tunnel release would likely be poor. He also suggested my current orthotics with a soft covering material were not providing enough support for the ankle and that the orthotics were the source of the ankle discomfort occurring in the subtalar joint. Personally, I feel that my pain is increasing in both feet, although I am still mobile enough to be able to grocery shop and do some cleaning if I pace myself (with pain), but a 15-minute walk around the block with the dog is a killer. Now I will need to make a decision about surgery and would appreciate any input. Happy to provide additional information if needed. Gina

Re: tarsal tunnel release and other surgery?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 17:48 (038870)

This all comes down to how much pain you are in now and if the pain is getting less and less. The hard part is how much experience does your foot orthoped have in foot surgery and how much experience does your podiatrist how in helping patients avoid surgery

I would get a third opinion if you don't feel comfortable with your orthopedic surgeon's reasons for the surgery. I do feel that if you are going to do surgery and only if you are going to do surgery then take a look at every possible indication for the causes.

If you are going to have surgery have the complete surgical program that the orthopedic surgery recommendated but only after the third opinion

Re: tarsal tunnel release and other surgery?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 17:48 (038870)

This all comes down to how much pain you are in now and if the pain is getting less and less. The hard part is how much experience does your foot orthoped have in foot surgery and how much experience does your podiatrist how in helping patients avoid surgery

I would get a third opinion if you don't feel comfortable with your orthopedic surgeon's reasons for the surgery. I do feel that if you are going to do surgery and only if you are going to do surgery then take a look at every possible indication for the causes.

If you are going to have surgery have the complete surgical program that the orthopedic surgery recommendated but only after the third opinion