Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What to do after EWST???

Posted by Jasmine on 2/13/01 at 15:09 (038848)

I am scheduled to have my first Orbasone treatment on 16 Feb. Is there anything to help the healing process beisdes rest? Should I keep wearing my night splint after the treatment? Are there certain exercises that should be done post treatment? Any info will be helpful and appreciated!

Jasmine

Re: What to do after EWST???

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 15:21 (038849)

We tell patients to refrain from any heavy sports, long walks hiking etc. Stretching is important. Giving the foot time to heal is the best advice I can give you

Jasmine on 2/13/01 at 17:28 (038865)

Stretching - would that include continuing to wear a night splint? Ice?

Thanks -
Jasmine

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 20:28 (038892)

Yes for the nite splint so long as you have early morning heel pain.
I prefer heat over ice

Cynthia on 2/14/01 at 08:14 (038932)

Hi Jasmine - I am 8 days post ESWT and find it all to be trial and error. I am hobbling around and using my office chair as a wheelchair and stairs are a definate problem. I have to scoot down, much to the amusement of my 3 kids. I just scoot down like my 18 month old does. Works great when you're all dressed up. I try not to have to navigate more than 2 sets of stairs a day. I have only driven once.

I have been trying to stay off my feet as much as possible (that's why I think I'm rapidly becoming the most frequent poster this week, because I'm not out on the tennis courts!) I'm also catching up on a ton of paper work here at home. I may just have a totally empty 'to do' pile by the end of the week for the first time ever. That would be a welcomed side effect. I'm forcing myself not to lie around and eat, watch tv, read - don't want to fall into that trap. I hope to work on organizing photos too.

Anyway, you asked about what to do after. I'm surprised that some people walk around after - shopping and so forth but I could not imagine. I stayed at the Four Seasons in Phil. and they took me from the car in a wheelchair! I did notice immediately while my feet were very sore, that the horrible stabbing, pulling pain on the heel was GONE. I'm still very tender and achy. My feet feel best elevated with the heels hanging off. My son has a camel-like foot stool and this works best to hang my heels off.

I do get great benefit from hot water soaks. I make it as hot as I can stand it. I use the tub, or my pedicure kit, or the jacuzzi outside for about 10-20 minutes. After, I can almost walk normally.

I'm not using the night splint yet - I was told not to. I imagine I will begin to try it out again soon as it helped before the procedure.

So line up a sitter if you have kids, or someone to keep them for you for at least a week or two for the day or even 1/2 day. Have all your grocery shopping up to date. Getting as much done as you can before will be helpful. Also, I printed out all the kind advice I received from the board posters here and read it on the plane to NJ. It was very helpful, as well. Good luck making your decision. Don't let your raquet collect too much dust.

Cynthia D on 2/14/01 at 08:17 (038933)

Another thought - I was also told not to stretch yet and I don't think it would feel too good, either other than point my toes up and down before walking. What about that, Dr. Z.

And where are you having your procedure done, Jasmine?

Jasmine on 2/14/01 at 12:33 (038956)

So much valuable information - thank you!!! No kids yet for us, so that's not a worry. Stairs and driving are an issue though...I live in a 2nd floor apt, and can't miss work. I just sit behind a computer all day, so I can be off my feet at work, but sounds like getting there may be a problem. Both of our cars have manual transmissions, so that will be inconvenient, but it's my right foot that is getting treatment, and it's easier to press the gas pedal than the clutch...we'll see how that goes. If it's really that bad, my husband will drive me.

I'm having the ESWT done here in L.A., so I'm lucky in that respect that I don't have to travel far...only about 20 miles.

I totally relate to your tennis stories...I played in 2 leagues when I lived in Georgia, and between matches and practices, I was also playing 4-5 times a week, sometimes 2 hours at a time. Sometimes, the pain was 'ignoreable' to a point during play, but once I stood still, then the knife began to dig into my heel. Haven't played since October, but I do occasionally go on a short hike with my husband. Again, the pain is bearable during the hike if we go slow and I take soft steps to minimize the impact. The way home is a different story though...I have to try to keep pressure on my heel in the car, and once I take the pressure off, oh my Gosh..the pain!!!

I'm definitely not a severe case...I'm sitting at my desk now and hardly feel too much pain. When I get up, after the first 10 steps or so, it's not that bad (although I still walk on the side of my foot). It's the inability to play tennis, go hiking (for real) and stuff that is making me want to do the ESWT. I am hoping...praying, actually, that since I don't have it quite as bad as some others describe, I will be able to do stuff again in a few months or so. Hope I'm not setting myself up for a big disappointment!

Yes...I would love to read your day-by-day account of all this stuff. My home e-mail is mooseyjan@yahoo.com .

Thanks so much!!! I am truly greatful!
Jasmine

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 15:21 (038849)

We tell patients to refrain from any heavy sports, long walks hiking etc. Stretching is important. Giving the foot time to heal is the best advice I can give you

Jasmine on 2/13/01 at 17:28 (038865)

Stretching - would that include continuing to wear a night splint? Ice?

Thanks -
Jasmine

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 20:28 (038892)

Yes for the nite splint so long as you have early morning heel pain.
I prefer heat over ice

Cynthia on 2/14/01 at 08:14 (038932)

Hi Jasmine - I am 8 days post ESWT and find it all to be trial and error. I am hobbling around and using my office chair as a wheelchair and stairs are a definate problem. I have to scoot down, much to the amusement of my 3 kids. I just scoot down like my 18 month old does. Works great when you're all dressed up. I try not to have to navigate more than 2 sets of stairs a day. I have only driven once.

I have been trying to stay off my feet as much as possible (that's why I think I'm rapidly becoming the most frequent poster this week, because I'm not out on the tennis courts!) I'm also catching up on a ton of paper work here at home. I may just have a totally empty 'to do' pile by the end of the week for the first time ever. That would be a welcomed side effect. I'm forcing myself not to lie around and eat, watch tv, read - don't want to fall into that trap. I hope to work on organizing photos too.

Anyway, you asked about what to do after. I'm surprised that some people walk around after - shopping and so forth but I could not imagine. I stayed at the Four Seasons in Phil. and they took me from the car in a wheelchair! I did notice immediately while my feet were very sore, that the horrible stabbing, pulling pain on the heel was GONE. I'm still very tender and achy. My feet feel best elevated with the heels hanging off. My son has a camel-like foot stool and this works best to hang my heels off.

I do get great benefit from hot water soaks. I make it as hot as I can stand it. I use the tub, or my pedicure kit, or the jacuzzi outside for about 10-20 minutes. After, I can almost walk normally.

I'm not using the night splint yet - I was told not to. I imagine I will begin to try it out again soon as it helped before the procedure.

So line up a sitter if you have kids, or someone to keep them for you for at least a week or two for the day or even 1/2 day. Have all your grocery shopping up to date. Getting as much done as you can before will be helpful. Also, I printed out all the kind advice I received from the board posters here and read it on the plane to NJ. It was very helpful, as well. Good luck making your decision. Don't let your raquet collect too much dust.

Cynthia D on 2/14/01 at 08:17 (038933)

Another thought - I was also told not to stretch yet and I don't think it would feel too good, either other than point my toes up and down before walking. What about that, Dr. Z.

And where are you having your procedure done, Jasmine?

Jasmine on 2/14/01 at 12:33 (038956)

So much valuable information - thank you!!! No kids yet for us, so that's not a worry. Stairs and driving are an issue though...I live in a 2nd floor apt, and can't miss work. I just sit behind a computer all day, so I can be off my feet at work, but sounds like getting there may be a problem. Both of our cars have manual transmissions, so that will be inconvenient, but it's my right foot that is getting treatment, and it's easier to press the gas pedal than the clutch...we'll see how that goes. If it's really that bad, my husband will drive me.

I'm having the ESWT done here in L.A., so I'm lucky in that respect that I don't have to travel far...only about 20 miles.

I totally relate to your tennis stories...I played in 2 leagues when I lived in Georgia, and between matches and practices, I was also playing 4-5 times a week, sometimes 2 hours at a time. Sometimes, the pain was 'ignoreable' to a point during play, but once I stood still, then the knife began to dig into my heel. Haven't played since October, but I do occasionally go on a short hike with my husband. Again, the pain is bearable during the hike if we go slow and I take soft steps to minimize the impact. The way home is a different story though...I have to try to keep pressure on my heel in the car, and once I take the pressure off, oh my Gosh..the pain!!!

I'm definitely not a severe case...I'm sitting at my desk now and hardly feel too much pain. When I get up, after the first 10 steps or so, it's not that bad (although I still walk on the side of my foot). It's the inability to play tennis, go hiking (for real) and stuff that is making me want to do the ESWT. I am hoping...praying, actually, that since I don't have it quite as bad as some others describe, I will be able to do stuff again in a few months or so. Hope I'm not setting myself up for a big disappointment!

Yes...I would love to read your day-by-day account of all this stuff. My home e-mail is mooseyjan@yahoo.com .

Thanks so much!!! I am truly greatful!
Jasmine