Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT Progress

Posted by Barbara TX on 2/13/01 at 15:21 (038850)

Wow, what a rollercoaster. The third week past my second zap was a real downer, but out of the blue, I have had substantial improvement these last two days. My limp is subsiding and I am standing longer, walking longer. My pain is down from 9 to 4, and I have NO RESTING PAIN right now. For me, that's a step up. I am walking comfortably from room to room and out to the car. I have first-step pain, but not as severe. I am in my fourth week past zap #2. I will keep you updated with good news. The bad news can just go to the same h--- that my PF came from. B.

Re: ESWT Progress

Cynthia D on 2/13/01 at 16:41 (038857)

Oh Jolly Good, Barbara, as Julie would say. Oh great. Two days ago you lost your pain. Two days ago, I gained my pain. Two days ago you lost your limp. Two days ago, I gained a limp. Two days ago you had no resting pain. Two days ago, I got resting pain. Two days ago your pain went from a 9 to 4. Two days ago, my pain went from a 4 to a 9. I no longer can stand or walk, I just grabbed a Vioxx after trying to get off it. HEY YOU, WHAT'ZZZ UUUUUUUUUUPPP?

Are you just sending me your problems via email? We must stop communicating at once before I give it back to you again! I guess it's my turn to suffer.

Of course, I am totally not serious but what an odd set of circumstances. I am really and truly happy that you are feeling better. I guess what we have learned about ESWT most is that it is unpredictable and varies from person to person. I emailed Dr. Z about my pain but he must not have had time to answer yet. So I am inspired yet again by you that given time, we will all feel better after ESWT. Can you send some good thoughts my way - it really hurts a lot. From your pain buddy, Cynthia

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 17:08 (038862)

Hi

I though I did e-mail Cynthia it was off of a web site server and not at home. So it is true that you can have a roller coaster healing rides with ESWT. My recommendation is alot of heat, rest if you can, and then take NSAID for the pain . Time is tough to speed up but I hope that this is going to happen for you. I actually will pray because if you need another treatment I am going to have find a way for total sleep before the ESWT procedure. Just joking will hav Rox or Mary call you in a few days.

The literature does state that between week six and week eight you get the most pain relief form ESWT.

Barbara TX on 2/13/01 at 22:07 (038902)

It is WAY too soon for you to be alarmed, Cynthia. That's just the way that ESWT seems to work for some people, you fluctuate, and you can't really tell at all what sent you on a downward spiral. Just have faith that the tracks will curve upward again, putting you in a better place than before. I seriously haven't had a good day like this since post zap #1 and I am only at week 4... what kind of progress will I make week 12-16? That is the question. Take heart, you will only probably have 3 or so down days... so rest, and then when feeling better REST AN EXTRA DAY and see if that doesn't do the trick! E me if you need me, B.

Cynthia D on 2/14/01 at 07:33 (038927)

Thanks, Barbara. I'm missing my daughter's Valentines' Day play (first grade) right now because I decided I must have been on my feet too much already. Even though she said she wrote a line about me (sob).

I guess I was dissapointed that the pain was so intense after virtually no pain post ESWT. So I will take your and my husband's advice and sit around all day. Scott, how much memory does this board have? Like I have nothing better to do. Ha.

Barbara TX on 2/14/01 at 11:23 (038948)

Sob back at you, Cynthia... One of the worst parts of this whole year has been missing out on the joy of my kids because of pain and limitations. They know I am much different than I was before, but the two-year old can't remember ever going on a walk with me, or playing ball, trips to the library. Everyone's life is different now. I look differently and act differently, even though I struggle to be the same through the pain, which as you know, can be quite severe. You just have to keep trying to convince your kids that life is beautiful even though you are in the pits, I suppose. I hope we look back on this time as a time that we learn somthing important about parenting... I will let you know when I figure it out! B.

Re: ESWT Progress - saddest effect of pf

Cynthia D on 2/15/01 at 09:04 (039035)

One of the reasons I wanted to have a third child was that I missed pushing a baby in a stroller. I would see the young mothers and feel nostalgic for those days. My pf prevented me from ever doing that. That is sad. I used to coach my daughter's soccer team and only worried about a sore throat from all the yelling! Now I long for those days.

But on the bright side, my right foot feels TOTALLY healed!!!! YEA. Starting last night, the right one stopped hurting. The left one is still so severe I can't walk regularly still, but it's only 10 days post ESWT so I am very optomistic. The left one was always the worse one. What do you think about that?

I hope you are having a good foot day.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/16/01 at 14:14 (039175)

When the left foot feels great. You can push Dr. Z around in a baby stroller. If you don't feel better you can run me over with a baby stroller.

Just taking to use laugher as the cure. Don't worry i am not surprised that you have pain .

Re: ESWT Progress - TO DR. ZUCKERMAN (WIZARD)

Cynthia D on 2/19/01 at 15:52 (039406)

That's the funniest thing I 've read yet! That alone was worth coming back home from Vermont and leaving behind all the R&R, jacuzzis, etc. I have thought about what if my left foot gets worse? I guess that would be my consolation prize? How big a stroller could I get? Just kidding, of course. I am much better than when I went. I started leaning on a crutch sometimes on the left and it has helped. The massage and stretching have begun breaking up some of that gunk. thanks.

Carol on 2/20/01 at 12:41 (039460)

Hi all -- I'm getting my first ESWT treatment tomorrow and was reading up on it a bit. There sure seem to be a lot of ups and downs, but one common denominator seems to be to have PATIENCE -- this takes awhile. I'm concerned about being able to work after the treatment (the next day), or do you think I'll be off work for awhile. Did you have a lot of bruising?

Re: Barbara, you deserve to feel better. Happy for you.

Beverly on 2/20/01 at 12:54 (039461)

Barbara,

I am so happy for you. I know what a mental relief it is to get freed from constant pain. Your EWST story is very encouraging for me. (You know, while I save up my money for this, I'm watching how all of you progress.) It sounds like you are on the road to recovery!

I have a curious question, your pod you like so much in Plano does this. Did you pass on his EWST services because you want to wait for him to get more experience or does he use the lower voltage machine? I did a Texas search and I see the Houston area, including Baylor has several doctors doing EWST but they are all using the other machine (not the one Dr. Z. uses). If I understand correctly, the difference between them is that the lower voltage machine takes more repeat zaps to get benefits. And I keep hoping this will get FDA approval so I can use it on my insurance.

Since I'm doing better (except for this recent setback of too much activity), I'm willing to wait six months or so to see these Texas doctors get experience under their belts. But who knows, I may end up joining the Texas contingency to New Jersey.

Re: ESWT Progress - TO DR. ZUCKERMAN (WIZARD) for Carol

Cynthia D on 2/20/01 at 14:52 (039467)

Hi Carol. How exciting that you are going tomorrow for treatment. Yes, everyone is different. What do you do at work? Will you be sitting? If you are like a lot of patients, you should be ok. I stay at home with 3 kids so I wasn't able to jump right back in changing diapers on my feet and all. I am feeling much better today, 14 days post treatment. Keep us posted. And please rest as much as possible.

Re: JINX!

Barbara TX on 2/20/01 at 20:19 (039500)

OH, Beverly... this is insane. These past three days I feel like I'm back to SQUARE ONE! Do not use me as your example of ESWT perfection! I don't know if this is the 'roller coaster' or not, but today especially the roller coaster went into an underground tunnel. I have gone for quite awhile without definite pain at the insertion point, but now it is ringing out as clear as a bell. I literally hurt from sitting on my butt. So we are both slumping together. I read about your great days and nearly swooned with envy. I still can't do that kind of stuff. Often, I think about getting surgery and ending this once and for all, but my more rational mind tells me not to panic and I remind myself about 'no going back' when it comes to surgery. I haven't had an x-ray in awhile, but I bet I have a spur the size of Florida in my heel. I am inches away from jumping on a rolling pin! B.

Carol D on 2/26/01 at 06:39 (039884)

Dear Cynthia -- thanks for your concern. I had the procedure done on Feb. 22. So far I have not seen much difference, but it is only five days. I'm hoping that within a month I'll see some improvement.

Re: ESWT Progress -for Carol

Cynthia D on 2/26/01 at 07:40 (039890)

Hi Carol, Wow I almost missed that one - found it on the view messages since last visit section. Did you have both feet done or one. I find that I am now a grand 3 weeks post treatment, and still having some ups and downs, unfortunantly, mostly downs. Every time I try to do something, I have another 'down' day. I drove my kids to school for the first time in three weeks today! I really missed it. I find I'm still really stiff and achy and tender on both feet, especially the left one. That's why I post so often, I'm just trying to stay off my feet as much as possible. I don't understand why my healing is taking so long. I may to go to physical therapy. Are you being sent for pt? I'd love to hear your progress.

Carol D on 2/26/01 at 08:11 (039893)

Hi C - I had both feet done, but it's the right one that's giving me the most trouble. Some of this is partly my fault. I've had family from out of town for the past 3 weekends (they are moving back here and are in the process of looking for homes), and that has not helped my feet any. You know, you want the place to look nice and provide meals, but it's been hard on me. Today my right ankle is killing me, but the heel seems fine -- it's just different every day. The only thing I've noticed (a little) is that my heel isn't as painful in the morning when I wake, basically because I've been doing a lot of stretching before I put my feet on the floor. I'm going to wait a week and discuss PT with my doctor. Keep in touch with me Cynthia -- you have really been supportive, and I hope things start getting better for you.

Cheers,
Carol

Cynthia D on 2/13/01 at 16:41 (038857)

Oh Jolly Good, Barbara, as Julie would say. Oh great. Two days ago you lost your pain. Two days ago, I gained my pain. Two days ago you lost your limp. Two days ago, I gained a limp. Two days ago you had no resting pain. Two days ago, I got resting pain. Two days ago your pain went from a 9 to 4. Two days ago, my pain went from a 4 to a 9. I no longer can stand or walk, I just grabbed a Vioxx after trying to get off it. HEY YOU, WHAT'ZZZ UUUUUUUUUUPPP?

Are you just sending me your problems via email? We must stop communicating at once before I give it back to you again! I guess it's my turn to suffer.

Of course, I am totally not serious but what an odd set of circumstances. I am really and truly happy that you are feeling better. I guess what we have learned about ESWT most is that it is unpredictable and varies from person to person. I emailed Dr. Z about my pain but he must not have had time to answer yet. So I am inspired yet again by you that given time, we will all feel better after ESWT. Can you send some good thoughts my way - it really hurts a lot. From your pain buddy, Cynthia

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/13/01 at 17:08 (038862)

Hi

I though I did e-mail Cynthia it was off of a web site server and not at home. So it is true that you can have a roller coaster healing rides with ESWT. My recommendation is alot of heat, rest if you can, and then take NSAID for the pain . Time is tough to speed up but I hope that this is going to happen for you. I actually will pray because if you need another treatment I am going to have find a way for total sleep before the ESWT procedure. Just joking will hav Rox or Mary call you in a few days.

The literature does state that between week six and week eight you get the most pain relief form ESWT.

Barbara TX on 2/13/01 at 22:07 (038902)

It is WAY too soon for you to be alarmed, Cynthia. That's just the way that ESWT seems to work for some people, you fluctuate, and you can't really tell at all what sent you on a downward spiral. Just have faith that the tracks will curve upward again, putting you in a better place than before. I seriously haven't had a good day like this since post zap #1 and I am only at week 4... what kind of progress will I make week 12-16? That is the question. Take heart, you will only probably have 3 or so down days... so rest, and then when feeling better REST AN EXTRA DAY and see if that doesn't do the trick! E me if you need me, B.

Cynthia D on 2/14/01 at 07:33 (038927)

Thanks, Barbara. I'm missing my daughter's Valentines' Day play (first grade) right now because I decided I must have been on my feet too much already. Even though she said she wrote a line about me (sob).

I guess I was dissapointed that the pain was so intense after virtually no pain post ESWT. So I will take your and my husband's advice and sit around all day. Scott, how much memory does this board have? Like I have nothing better to do. Ha.

Barbara TX on 2/14/01 at 11:23 (038948)

Sob back at you, Cynthia... One of the worst parts of this whole year has been missing out on the joy of my kids because of pain and limitations. They know I am much different than I was before, but the two-year old can't remember ever going on a walk with me, or playing ball, trips to the library. Everyone's life is different now. I look differently and act differently, even though I struggle to be the same through the pain, which as you know, can be quite severe. You just have to keep trying to convince your kids that life is beautiful even though you are in the pits, I suppose. I hope we look back on this time as a time that we learn somthing important about parenting... I will let you know when I figure it out! B.

Cynthia D on 2/15/01 at 09:04 (039035)

One of the reasons I wanted to have a third child was that I missed pushing a baby in a stroller. I would see the young mothers and feel nostalgic for those days. My pf prevented me from ever doing that. That is sad. I used to coach my daughter's soccer team and only worried about a sore throat from all the yelling! Now I long for those days.

But on the bright side, my right foot feels TOTALLY healed!!!! YEA. Starting last night, the right one stopped hurting. The left one is still so severe I can't walk regularly still, but it's only 10 days post ESWT so I am very optomistic. The left one was always the worse one. What do you think about that?

I hope you are having a good foot day.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/16/01 at 14:14 (039175)

When the left foot feels great. You can push Dr. Z around in a baby stroller. If you don't feel better you can run me over with a baby stroller.

Just taking to use laugher as the cure. Don't worry i am not surprised that you have pain .

Cynthia D on 2/19/01 at 15:52 (039406)

That's the funniest thing I 've read yet! That alone was worth coming back home from Vermont and leaving behind all the R&R, jacuzzis, etc. I have thought about what if my left foot gets worse? I guess that would be my consolation prize? How big a stroller could I get? Just kidding, of course. I am much better than when I went. I started leaning on a crutch sometimes on the left and it has helped. The massage and stretching have begun breaking up some of that gunk. thanks.

Carol on 2/20/01 at 12:41 (039460)

Hi all -- I'm getting my first ESWT treatment tomorrow and was reading up on it a bit. There sure seem to be a lot of ups and downs, but one common denominator seems to be to have PATIENCE -- this takes awhile. I'm concerned about being able to work after the treatment (the next day), or do you think I'll be off work for awhile. Did you have a lot of bruising?

Re: Barbara, you deserve to feel better. Happy for you.

Beverly on 2/20/01 at 12:54 (039461)

Barbara,

I am so happy for you. I know what a mental relief it is to get freed from constant pain. Your EWST story is very encouraging for me. (You know, while I save up my money for this, I'm watching how all of you progress.) It sounds like you are on the road to recovery!

I have a curious question, your pod you like so much in Plano does this. Did you pass on his EWST services because you want to wait for him to get more experience or does he use the lower voltage machine? I did a Texas search and I see the Houston area, including Baylor has several doctors doing EWST but they are all using the other machine (not the one Dr. Z. uses). If I understand correctly, the difference between them is that the lower voltage machine takes more repeat zaps to get benefits. And I keep hoping this will get FDA approval so I can use it on my insurance.

Since I'm doing better (except for this recent setback of too much activity), I'm willing to wait six months or so to see these Texas doctors get experience under their belts. But who knows, I may end up joining the Texas contingency to New Jersey.

Cynthia D on 2/20/01 at 14:52 (039467)

Hi Carol. How exciting that you are going tomorrow for treatment. Yes, everyone is different. What do you do at work? Will you be sitting? If you are like a lot of patients, you should be ok. I stay at home with 3 kids so I wasn't able to jump right back in changing diapers on my feet and all. I am feeling much better today, 14 days post treatment. Keep us posted. And please rest as much as possible.

Re: JINX!

Barbara TX on 2/20/01 at 20:19 (039500)

OH, Beverly... this is insane. These past three days I feel like I'm back to SQUARE ONE! Do not use me as your example of ESWT perfection! I don't know if this is the 'roller coaster' or not, but today especially the roller coaster went into an underground tunnel. I have gone for quite awhile without definite pain at the insertion point, but now it is ringing out as clear as a bell. I literally hurt from sitting on my butt. So we are both slumping together. I read about your great days and nearly swooned with envy. I still can't do that kind of stuff. Often, I think about getting surgery and ending this once and for all, but my more rational mind tells me not to panic and I remind myself about 'no going back' when it comes to surgery. I haven't had an x-ray in awhile, but I bet I have a spur the size of Florida in my heel. I am inches away from jumping on a rolling pin! B.

Carol D on 2/26/01 at 06:39 (039884)

Dear Cynthia -- thanks for your concern. I had the procedure done on Feb. 22. So far I have not seen much difference, but it is only five days. I'm hoping that within a month I'll see some improvement.

Cynthia D on 2/26/01 at 07:40 (039890)

Hi Carol, Wow I almost missed that one - found it on the view messages since last visit section. Did you have both feet done or one. I find that I am now a grand 3 weeks post treatment, and still having some ups and downs, unfortunantly, mostly downs. Every time I try to do something, I have another 'down' day. I drove my kids to school for the first time in three weeks today! I really missed it. I find I'm still really stiff and achy and tender on both feet, especially the left one. That's why I post so often, I'm just trying to stay off my feet as much as possible. I don't understand why my healing is taking so long. I may to go to physical therapy. Are you being sent for pt? I'd love to hear your progress.

Carol D on 2/26/01 at 08:11 (039893)

Hi C - I had both feet done, but it's the right one that's giving me the most trouble. Some of this is partly my fault. I've had family from out of town for the past 3 weekends (they are moving back here and are in the process of looking for homes), and that has not helped my feet any. You know, you want the place to look nice and provide meals, but it's been hard on me. Today my right ankle is killing me, but the heel seems fine -- it's just different every day. The only thing I've noticed (a little) is that my heel isn't as painful in the morning when I wake, basically because I've been doing a lot of stretching before I put my feet on the floor. I'm going to wait a week and discuss PT with my doctor. Keep in touch with me Cynthia -- you have really been supportive, and I hope things start getting better for you.

Cheers,
Carol