Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

post surgical problems

Posted by Dr. Marlene Reid on 2/13/01 at 23:02 (038909)

Have any of you post surgical PF people ever experienced a similar fasciitis type pain at the ball of the foot aftr surgery (i.e. pain in the am and after rest that gets better once you start walking)?

Re: post surgical problems

john h on 2/20/01 at 14:45 (039466)

no more pain than before surgery with me dr. reid. my biggest concern before and after surgery was 'will the surgery possible make it worse?' not will it cure me. i can live with a failed surgery but did not want to be worse. my doctor who had done many surgeries (baxter procedure) said in all his experience only one patient had been made worse and it was a diabetic. he said many were no better but just the one was worse. he was and is a straight shooter and i believe his information

Re: To John H

Barbara TX on 2/20/01 at 20:23 (039505)

John - do you recall just what made you a good candidate for the Baxter procedure? What there something about your pain that qualified, or does Dr. Reid do the Baxter procedure for every case of pf that needs cutting? B.

dr. Marlene Reid on 2/21/01 at 00:42 (039527)

Hi Barbara-
No I do not do the Baxter proceedure for PF. I think it is VERy important, however to rule out and seperately treat any nerve entrapment wheher it is the lateral calcaneal branch, the nerve to the ABDDM or the medical calc nerve, etc. I do think that long standing PF with chronic inflammation can cause neuritis. My plan now with someone with neuritis would be to treat the PF first and see if the nerve pain resolves. Especially with the ESW option now available.

john h on 2/21/01 at 19:19 (039593)

barb: anyone with pf is a candidate for the baxter procedure. there are several views on the cause of pf pain. dr baxter and many others think the pain is generated by the baxter nerve under the fascia. the baxter procedures merely removes a very small section of fascia over the nerve. since the removed section of fascia (1/2' semi circle section) is where the fascia attaches to the heel you do release some of the tension on the fascia. a typical fascia release could be anywhere from 40% to 100% release of the fascia which may cause foot stability problems down the road. i selected the baxter procedure because there is less downside to it than the other procedures. my first concern was NOT TO MAKE IT WORSE. if the procedure worked great but if not very little chance of being any worse. i think dr z told me that the surgeon doing a minimal invasive procedure or endoscopic procedures is not really sure how much fascia they are releasing since they are doing it by feel as opposed to sight.

john h on 2/21/01 at 19:21 (039594)

barb: the other reason i was a good candiidate is that i was short,dark, and handsome.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/21/01 at 21:56 (039607)

Come John be a straigt shooter. You are tall, dark , and can fly high in the sky. i was going to say better feet but then you wouldn't visit the world headquarters. I had an pilot come to my office just recently . I took a look at his flight boots . Not that suportive, maybe that was the start of your foot problems. Maybe there should be special flight orthosis.

john h on 2/22/01 at 10:14 (039633)

in civilian life the pilots wear the flight boots for show. in the military our flight boots were not pretty but very sturdy and supporative and good for running fast once you hit the ground. they severed me well when in hit the ground running in Laos after being shot down.

Re: post surgical problems

john h on 2/20/01 at 14:45 (039466)

no more pain than before surgery with me dr. reid. my biggest concern before and after surgery was 'will the surgery possible make it worse?' not will it cure me. i can live with a failed surgery but did not want to be worse. my doctor who had done many surgeries (baxter procedure) said in all his experience only one patient had been made worse and it was a diabetic. he said many were no better but just the one was worse. he was and is a straight shooter and i believe his information

Barbara TX on 2/20/01 at 20:23 (039505)

John - do you recall just what made you a good candidate for the Baxter procedure? What there something about your pain that qualified, or does Dr. Reid do the Baxter procedure for every case of pf that needs cutting? B.

dr. Marlene Reid on 2/21/01 at 00:42 (039527)

Hi Barbara-
No I do not do the Baxter proceedure for PF. I think it is VERy important, however to rule out and seperately treat any nerve entrapment wheher it is the lateral calcaneal branch, the nerve to the ABDDM or the medical calc nerve, etc. I do think that long standing PF with chronic inflammation can cause neuritis. My plan now with someone with neuritis would be to treat the PF first and see if the nerve pain resolves. Especially with the ESW option now available.

john h on 2/21/01 at 19:19 (039593)

barb: anyone with pf is a candidate for the baxter procedure. there are several views on the cause of pf pain. dr baxter and many others think the pain is generated by the baxter nerve under the fascia. the baxter procedures merely removes a very small section of fascia over the nerve. since the removed section of fascia (1/2' semi circle section) is where the fascia attaches to the heel you do release some of the tension on the fascia. a typical fascia release could be anywhere from 40% to 100% release of the fascia which may cause foot stability problems down the road. i selected the baxter procedure because there is less downside to it than the other procedures. my first concern was NOT TO MAKE IT WORSE. if the procedure worked great but if not very little chance of being any worse. i think dr z told me that the surgeon doing a minimal invasive procedure or endoscopic procedures is not really sure how much fascia they are releasing since they are doing it by feel as opposed to sight.

john h on 2/21/01 at 19:21 (039594)

barb: the other reason i was a good candiidate is that i was short,dark, and handsome.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/21/01 at 21:56 (039607)

Come John be a straigt shooter. You are tall, dark , and can fly high in the sky. i was going to say better feet but then you wouldn't visit the world headquarters. I had an pilot come to my office just recently . I took a look at his flight boots . Not that suportive, maybe that was the start of your foot problems. Maybe there should be special flight orthosis.

john h on 2/22/01 at 10:14 (039633)

in civilian life the pilots wear the flight boots for show. in the military our flight boots were not pretty but very sturdy and supporative and good for running fast once you hit the ground. they severed me well when in hit the ground running in Laos after being shot down.