Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

Posted by Amy W. on 2/14/01 at 17:44 (038976)

I used to be a long distance runner. I started teaching full time, while running and started to develop horrible, burning heel pain. It was, and still is the worst when standing for long periods of time. I have noticable heel swelling that has not gone down since this problem started four years ago. I occasionally get an electric shock like pain that shoots up my leg. I also have my fourth toe twitch on that same foot. I have had two cortisone injections. I recently got an opinion from another doctor who said I hardly have any fat pad left on the bad foot due to the cortisone shots. Unlike the last doctor, he doesn't believe in TTS surgery. He says I should ice at night and he made me the first pair of orthotics I have ever liked as far as running is concerned. My question is, why doesn't my heel swelling ever go down, do you think ice really helps, and why do I constantly hear such awful things about the TTS surgery? I have one doctor who would love to cut on me, and another who says he has never seen anyone satisfied with their TTS surgery. I can get through the day o.k unless I run and than have to stand all day. At this point I'm not sure what to do. I would love to run again without having to sit all day afterwards. Any suggestions?

Re: Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/14/01 at 19:14 (038984)

You need to first take a look at your lower back to rule out any involvement.

The sucess rate for satisfaction is about 60%. In the case that is definitely TTS and doesn't have any other neurological involvement and you have tried everything then the release can help you.

So what testing and treatments have you had.?

Chad H on 2/16/01 at 09:18 (039134)

You may get more response to this topic if you post in the Tarsal Tunnel catagory. There are a lot of people there who are in the same boat as you. I found this website a few weeks ago, and it has been a big help. Just knowing that others are out here to help and support makes a big difference!

Regarding ice. I have never had any luck with ice packs. I just don't ever feel like I get penetrating cold to the needed areas. I recently started soaking my foot in ice water every night after stretching and excercising. I have major swelling in my ankle that has been there for 3 years. Soaking in ice water has really seemed to make a difference. Nothing major, but every little bit helps!

What is do is take a big bucket and fill it about 4 inches with water. I then dump most of the ice from my ice maker into the bucket (enough to cover the top and make the water really cold). I then grit my teeth and stick my foot in the water. It is close to unbearable, but I make it through by watching TV to take my mind off of it. I soak for about 8 - 10 minutes every night.

I got this idea from Steve. He has a website devoted to TTS. I don't have the link right now, but it is available on one of my posts in the TTS catagory.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/14/01 at 19:14 (038984)

You need to first take a look at your lower back to rule out any involvement.

The sucess rate for satisfaction is about 60%. In the case that is definitely TTS and doesn't have any other neurological involvement and you have tried everything then the release can help you.

So what testing and treatments have you had.?

Chad H on 2/16/01 at 09:18 (039134)

You may get more response to this topic if you post in the Tarsal Tunnel catagory. There are a lot of people there who are in the same boat as you. I found this website a few weeks ago, and it has been a big help. Just knowing that others are out here to help and support makes a big difference!

Regarding ice. I have never had any luck with ice packs. I just don't ever feel like I get penetrating cold to the needed areas. I recently started soaking my foot in ice water every night after stretching and excercising. I have major swelling in my ankle that has been there for 3 years. Soaking in ice water has really seemed to make a difference. Nothing major, but every little bit helps!

What is do is take a big bucket and fill it about 4 inches with water. I then dump most of the ice from my ice maker into the bucket (enough to cover the top and make the water really cold). I then grit my teeth and stick my foot in the water. It is close to unbearable, but I make it through by watching TV to take my mind off of it. I soak for about 8 - 10 minutes every night.

I got this idea from Steve. He has a website devoted to TTS. I don't have the link right now, but it is available on one of my posts in the TTS catagory.

Good luck, and keep us posted.