Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Zap #1 Tomorrow...Need POSITIVE Reinforcement : )

Posted by Jasmine on 2/15/01 at 11:28 (039049)

Hi to All - I am going in for my first zap tomorrow. Before I made my appointment, I read so much good news from people...no pain, quick recovery, etc. Ever since I scheduled my first treatment though, the only words in these posts that stick out are 'pain', 'suffer', 'Vioxx', and stuff like that. Is it really that bad? Please...only people with good experiences respond. :-) I need to be lured into a sense of security, even though it may be false, so I don't chicken out.

Jasmine

Re: Zap #1 Tomorrow...Need POSITIVE Reinforcement : )

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/15/01 at 14:28 (039058)

I am Dr. Z and I have never had ESWT on my foot . So I can only tell you what patients tell us . Most have minor pain some do have some pain but you will do well.

Good luck

Dr. Z

Lori E. on 2/15/01 at 16:01 (039062)

Jasmine,
Don't worry about being a chicken. It really isn't as bad as all that. You can feel secure that ESWT is nothing more painful than maybe an occasional rubberband snap. It gets your attention, but I didn't find it painful.
I just had my second ESWT and I must say that I really had no problem with it. I didn't need any pain blocks and it was over in no time. Everyone is different, so it really depends on your pain threshold. If you have a low threshold for pain, you may want to let the doc know so he can take precautions.
You might want to bring a friend or a book to read while you are getting your ESWT. It is a bit loud.
I am sure that you will come thru with no problems. I really don't think it is anything to be afraid of. I think it is much safer and less painful than surgery. You may feel bruised afterwards, but that is the worst of it. You can do it! Good luck!

Kay S on 2/15/01 at 19:51 (039084)

Hi Jasmine--Anyone who has had the kind of pain that would drive one to get ESWT is going to think the treatment itself is a piece of cake. Please don't chicken out!
I just got back from my second treatment, and had it on both feet. Anything I experienced with the treatment is very small in comparison to what I have been feeling for the past 4.5 years. And why not take the chance that it will help? There are really no side effects from the treatment. I expect to have a few roller coaster days, but to keep improving. Before my first treatment, ALL of my days were bad (as far as pain is concerned) and some were worse than bad.
I think you will do fine with the treatment and I hope it works for you.
Good luck.
Kay

Re: Zap #1 Need POSITIVE Reinforcement : ) I HAVE GOOD NEWS FOR YOU

Cynthia D on 2/15/01 at 20:55 (039085)

Jasmine: Hi! I'm probably the one guilty of scaring you - I'm sorry. I really do have a low pain threshold like I told you. The best reason I can tell you to go is listed below, but I want to say I hope you see this before you leave for treatment. I haven't had a chance to post this yet, today was very busy.

MY RIGHT FOOT IS TOTALLY PAIN FREE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS!!!! ESWT HAS ALREADY CURED MY RIGHT FOOT just 10 days post treatment!! I am so hopeful that the stubborn left one will catch up soon. It's still tender and tight and yes, painful but it had pf much longer than the right one. So go for it and let us know how you did. I'll be gone for a few days (I was supposed to be in a two day intensive tennis clinic, but instead will be resting while my family skis!), so I'll look for you when I get back. Best wishes.

Re: Thanks Everyone

Jasmine on 2/16/01 at 09:36 (039135)

Thank you all so much for the reinforcement! I'm going this afternoon, and all your comments really do make me feel more relaxed about the whole thing. Will keep you posted as to the outcome!

Thanks and Happy Heeling to All!!!
Jasmine

Jasmine on 2/16/01 at 11:41 (039156)

Cynthia - Intenisve tennis clinic??? You're making me miss the days I lived in Savannah...big USTA tennis town, and only 45 minutes from Hilton Head. Used to go there all the time for clinics, tourneys and such. Savannah also has clay courts...some were only $1.50/hr, just to cover grooming costs! Can't find those luxuries here :(

Rest up...enjoy watching your family ski! I'll keep you posted with my progress.

Jasmine

john h on 2/20/01 at 10:04 (039446)

i had rather have ESWT than go to the dentist. it is a walk in the park. had treatment twice on both feet. headed for 3rd treatment in the spring.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/15/01 at 14:28 (039058)

I am Dr. Z and I have never had ESWT on my foot . So I can only tell you what patients tell us . Most have minor pain some do have some pain but you will do well.

Good luck

Dr. Z

Lori E. on 2/15/01 at 16:01 (039062)

Jasmine,
Don't worry about being a chicken. It really isn't as bad as all that. You can feel secure that ESWT is nothing more painful than maybe an occasional rubberband snap. It gets your attention, but I didn't find it painful.
I just had my second ESWT and I must say that I really had no problem with it. I didn't need any pain blocks and it was over in no time. Everyone is different, so it really depends on your pain threshold. If you have a low threshold for pain, you may want to let the doc know so he can take precautions.
You might want to bring a friend or a book to read while you are getting your ESWT. It is a bit loud.
I am sure that you will come thru with no problems. I really don't think it is anything to be afraid of. I think it is much safer and less painful than surgery. You may feel bruised afterwards, but that is the worst of it. You can do it! Good luck!

Kay S on 2/15/01 at 19:51 (039084)

Hi Jasmine--Anyone who has had the kind of pain that would drive one to get ESWT is going to think the treatment itself is a piece of cake. Please don't chicken out!
I just got back from my second treatment, and had it on both feet. Anything I experienced with the treatment is very small in comparison to what I have been feeling for the past 4.5 years. And why not take the chance that it will help? There are really no side effects from the treatment. I expect to have a few roller coaster days, but to keep improving. Before my first treatment, ALL of my days were bad (as far as pain is concerned) and some were worse than bad.
I think you will do fine with the treatment and I hope it works for you.
Good luck.
Kay

Cynthia D on 2/15/01 at 20:55 (039085)

Jasmine: Hi! I'm probably the one guilty of scaring you - I'm sorry. I really do have a low pain threshold like I told you. The best reason I can tell you to go is listed below, but I want to say I hope you see this before you leave for treatment. I haven't had a chance to post this yet, today was very busy.

MY RIGHT FOOT IS TOTALLY PAIN FREE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS!!!! ESWT HAS ALREADY CURED MY RIGHT FOOT just 10 days post treatment!! I am so hopeful that the stubborn left one will catch up soon. It's still tender and tight and yes, painful but it had pf much longer than the right one. So go for it and let us know how you did. I'll be gone for a few days (I was supposed to be in a two day intensive tennis clinic, but instead will be resting while my family skis!), so I'll look for you when I get back. Best wishes.

Re: Thanks Everyone

Jasmine on 2/16/01 at 09:36 (039135)

Thank you all so much for the reinforcement! I'm going this afternoon, and all your comments really do make me feel more relaxed about the whole thing. Will keep you posted as to the outcome!

Thanks and Happy Heeling to All!!!
Jasmine

Jasmine on 2/16/01 at 11:41 (039156)

Cynthia - Intenisve tennis clinic??? You're making me miss the days I lived in Savannah...big USTA tennis town, and only 45 minutes from Hilton Head. Used to go there all the time for clinics, tourneys and such. Savannah also has clay courts...some were only $1.50/hr, just to cover grooming costs! Can't find those luxuries here :(

Rest up...enjoy watching your family ski! I'll keep you posted with my progress.

Jasmine

john h on 2/20/01 at 10:04 (039446)

i had rather have ESWT than go to the dentist. it is a walk in the park. had treatment twice on both feet. headed for 3rd treatment in the spring.