Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

posts are also sent to your email box

Posted by Scott R on 2/15/01 at 18:50 (039079)

There has been a new feature added to the message board. If you include your email address, responses to your post will be sent to your email box and there will be a link provided back to the response in the message board. Thanks to whoever it was that suggested it.

Re: posts are also sent to your email box

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/15/01 at 19:33 (039082)

Now that is a great idea.!!

Re: YIPPEE!! Way to go Scott!!

Kim B. on 2/15/01 at 21:52 (039091)

Yippee!!

Bob G. was the first to suggest it here I think. He will be so happy, as am I. I was just thinking lately that I was spending too much time trying to keep up with the message board and would probably have to back off alot. This will allow folks more time for reading and posting and less time spent looking for previous post that may or may not have been responded to.

Let me see if I have this straight, I can put my email address in, hide it, and even though it is hidden, I will get an e-mail notification that I have a response under my post. Do I have it correctly?

Scott, this is so great! People are going to love this feature. I think other message boards with this capability refer to it as 'e-mail notification' (of a response to a post).

Quick, somebody e-mail Bob G. and tell him that is wish has come true!

Kim B.

Re: test

Scott on 2/15/01 at 22:12 (039095)

test

Re: Testing to me

Kim B. on 2/15/01 at 22:46 (039101)

Testing to me.

Re: wow, scott, I got the test I sent to me, in good time too.

Kim B. on 2/15/01 at 22:51 (039102)

wow, scott, I got the test I sent to me, in good time too.
Kim B.

Bob G. on 2/15/01 at 23:15 (039105)

This is a dumb idea, as if we don't already get enough e-mails. Oh well, have computer will get e-mail...

Re: Scott - how about a count on "View Thread?"

Barbara TX on 2/16/01 at 10:52 (039150)

Thanks Scott, that is a great option. I hate to suggest anything else, but I was wondering if it possible after 'View thread' after individual messages, if it could be posted (0) or (1) etc. noting how many people responded to the message. This might insure that newbies get questions answered more swiftly and there wouldn't be a reduplication of advice. I often start a message to a newbie and then discover that it has been more skillfully answered by somebody else. This would prevent a reduplication of effort, and would allow you to see at a glance if a newbie has been answered. Don't know if this is even possible... thanks, B.

john a on 2/16/01 at 13:01 (039164)

I have no qualms at all about making other suggestions for message board enhnacements ;-). I've mentioned this before, and think it would be relatively easy to do: store the last Name: and E-Mail used to post a message in cookies, and retrieve them on subsequent posts. This would provide much needed consistency and obviously be convenient for posters.

Scott R on 2/16/01 at 13:38 (039166)

Setting a cookie for name and email cannot be done without re-programming a large part of the message system because most ways of making a post are through an html page and not a cgi script.

Kim B. on 2/16/01 at 23:22 (039229)

Bob, Am I missing something? Were you one of main folks who wanted email notification that someones has responded you your posts?

Incase you're not kidding around, you can just leave your email address off and they won't come to your email box, I suppose that's the way it works anyway.

Really, didn't you mention this feature would be a plus?
Kim B.

john a on 2/17/01 at 10:29 (039249)

Hmmm, I guess I just assumed it was all cgi already. So I guess it's not so simple after all. But couldn't it be as 'easy' as this: wherever you are now writing out a 'reply-to' link that looks like messages/39166.html , you could instead write out the link http://heelspurs.com/cgi-bin/www.cgi&39166.html , and then 'just' add some code to your existing http://heelspurs.com/cgi-bin/www.cgi program to retrieve the name/email cookies and substitute them into the corresponding input tags while reading and writing back out the 39166.html file that was passed as the first arg. Of course, this would end up running an extra cgi program whenever someone just clicked on a reply-to link so there would be added burden on the server. Oh well, it's an idea anyway...

Scott R on 2/17/01 at 11:23 (039253)

Thanks, yes that's an idea, but I would have to change the code in one place cooskies2.pl, numerous places in http://www.cgi , and one place in bbs.cgi, and then the thread files, recent messages file (hidden), and all the messages themselves would be different from previous messages so that if I had to parse everything for transeferring to a database someday, another level of complexity is added. It's not clear that the amount of work involved in doing it is less than the amount of work it would save posters over the next year or two or three. Everytime a message is viewed by itself it will be running http://www.cgi or some other program in addition to the file that has to be accessed and people will be using the program very often and at the same time as other users which means there is more time required for each user to get each message. Not just those few who post, but everyone else would have to experience the delay. And those using IE have auto-complete for text fields.

How is everybody enjoying the auto-email messages? I saw a complaint, but I wondered why they entered their email address if they don't like getting extra email. I am a little concerned that it will lead to important discussions outside of the board and therefore will never be recorded. I could block hide the email address so direct replies aren't possible.

Kay S on 2/17/01 at 15:03 (039264)

John and Scott--------what language are you guys speaking?
My server will be bringing my dinner to the table tonight. We will have cookies for dessert. I think his/her initials are cgi or html, not sure which. If I don't like my meal I will say 'arggggggggggggg'.
I like things simple. Can you tell?
Kay

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/15/01 at 19:33 (039082)

Now that is a great idea.!!

Re: YIPPEE!! Way to go Scott!!

Kim B. on 2/15/01 at 21:52 (039091)

Yippee!!

Bob G. was the first to suggest it here I think. He will be so happy, as am I. I was just thinking lately that I was spending too much time trying to keep up with the message board and would probably have to back off alot. This will allow folks more time for reading and posting and less time spent looking for previous post that may or may not have been responded to.

Let me see if I have this straight, I can put my email address in, hide it, and even though it is hidden, I will get an e-mail notification that I have a response under my post. Do I have it correctly?

Scott, this is so great! People are going to love this feature. I think other message boards with this capability refer to it as 'e-mail notification' (of a response to a post).

Quick, somebody e-mail Bob G. and tell him that is wish has come true!

Kim B.

Re: test

Scott on 2/15/01 at 22:12 (039095)

test

Re: Testing to me

Kim B. on 2/15/01 at 22:46 (039101)

Testing to me.

Re: wow, scott, I got the test I sent to me, in good time too.

Kim B. on 2/15/01 at 22:51 (039102)

wow, scott, I got the test I sent to me, in good time too.
Kim B.

Bob G. on 2/15/01 at 23:15 (039105)

This is a dumb idea, as if we don't already get enough e-mails. Oh well, have computer will get e-mail...

Barbara TX on 2/16/01 at 10:52 (039150)

Thanks Scott, that is a great option. I hate to suggest anything else, but I was wondering if it possible after 'View thread' after individual messages, if it could be posted (0) or (1) etc. noting how many people responded to the message. This might insure that newbies get questions answered more swiftly and there wouldn't be a reduplication of advice. I often start a message to a newbie and then discover that it has been more skillfully answered by somebody else. This would prevent a reduplication of effort, and would allow you to see at a glance if a newbie has been answered. Don't know if this is even possible... thanks, B.

john a on 2/16/01 at 13:01 (039164)

I have no qualms at all about making other suggestions for message board enhnacements ;-). I've mentioned this before, and think it would be relatively easy to do: store the last Name: and E-Mail used to post a message in cookies, and retrieve them on subsequent posts. This would provide much needed consistency and obviously be convenient for posters.

Scott R on 2/16/01 at 13:38 (039166)

Setting a cookie for name and email cannot be done without re-programming a large part of the message system because most ways of making a post are through an html page and not a cgi script.

Kim B. on 2/16/01 at 23:22 (039229)

Bob, Am I missing something? Were you one of main folks who wanted email notification that someones has responded you your posts?

Incase you're not kidding around, you can just leave your email address off and they won't come to your email box, I suppose that's the way it works anyway.

Really, didn't you mention this feature would be a plus?
Kim B.

john a on 2/17/01 at 10:29 (039249)

Hmmm, I guess I just assumed it was all cgi already. So I guess it's not so simple after all. But couldn't it be as 'easy' as this: wherever you are now writing out a 'reply-to' link that looks like messages/39166.html , you could instead write out the link http://heelspurs.com/cgi-bin/www.cgi&39166.html , and then 'just' add some code to your existing http://heelspurs.com/cgi-bin/www.cgi program to retrieve the name/email cookies and substitute them into the corresponding input tags while reading and writing back out the 39166.html file that was passed as the first arg. Of course, this would end up running an extra cgi program whenever someone just clicked on a reply-to link so there would be added burden on the server. Oh well, it's an idea anyway...

Scott R on 2/17/01 at 11:23 (039253)

Thanks, yes that's an idea, but I would have to change the code in one place cooskies2.pl, numerous places in http://www.cgi , and one place in bbs.cgi, and then the thread files, recent messages file (hidden), and all the messages themselves would be different from previous messages so that if I had to parse everything for transeferring to a database someday, another level of complexity is added. It's not clear that the amount of work involved in doing it is less than the amount of work it would save posters over the next year or two or three. Everytime a message is viewed by itself it will be running http://www.cgi or some other program in addition to the file that has to be accessed and people will be using the program very often and at the same time as other users which means there is more time required for each user to get each message. Not just those few who post, but everyone else would have to experience the delay. And those using IE have auto-complete for text fields.

How is everybody enjoying the auto-email messages? I saw a complaint, but I wondered why they entered their email address if they don't like getting extra email. I am a little concerned that it will lead to important discussions outside of the board and therefore will never be recorded. I could block hide the email address so direct replies aren't possible.

Kay S on 2/17/01 at 15:03 (039264)

John and Scott--------what language are you guys speaking?
My server will be bringing my dinner to the table tonight. We will have cookies for dessert. I think his/her initials are cgi or html, not sure which. If I don't like my meal I will say 'arggggggggggggg'.
I like things simple. Can you tell?
Kay