Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cane Question

Posted by Linda F. on 2/15/01 at 21:29 (039088)

What is the proper height of a walking cane.??? I'm 5'4''.
Shouldn't the cane be used on the opposite side of the casted foot?

Re: Cane Question

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/15/01 at 22:35 (039098)

Oh boy. I have no experience with this question. But I will tell you my logic. If I was using a cane I would use it for the bad foot. It makes sense to help the bad foot. I imagined myself waling around the room and I would be using the cane for the bad foot. You need the surport and help on the bad foot . Let the good foot do without.

So this is what I would be do . If anyone has the answer that is scientific please let us know.

As to the height I have no idea. I would ask the medical supply house that you purchase the cane from .

These are good quesions. Do we have any re-hab or physical Therapist on this board. I would use the logical answer to this question. . Bad foot equals cane

Julie on 2/16/01 at 02:25 (039113)

Linda, I've not used a cane, only a walking stick, but the height depends not so much on your height but on the distance between the ground and the hand you're holding it in. If the cane is too short, you'll be leaning to that side, and pulling your spine out of line. If it's too long, you'll hunch the shoulder on that side and strain your shoulder and your neck. Any physios listening, please correct me if I'm wrong, and/or elaborate.

If you need a cane, the hospital physio dept should have them in different lengths and help you find the right size.

I agree with Dr Z that it's the injured side that needs the support.

Julie

wendyn on 2/16/01 at 09:01 (039132)

A cane can work wonders. I've used one myself - I prefer one with a foam handle. Make sure it can adjust low enough if you're short - I only use it while out on the most horrible days - I don't want to wreck my wrists.

Use it like everyone says on your bad side, basically move it along to keep pace with the bad foot - and lean your weight on it instead of your foot. Takes some practice but you will get good at it. People will stare at you. You will get used to that too.

Abby on 2/16/01 at 14:01 (039170)

I would go to a medical supply store or even just call them and ask this question, if you already have a cain. Good luck. I wish I had used a cane or crutches after my EPF surgery - don't know if that's what you had done, however. Good luck.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/15/01 at 22:35 (039098)

Oh boy. I have no experience with this question. But I will tell you my logic. If I was using a cane I would use it for the bad foot. It makes sense to help the bad foot. I imagined myself waling around the room and I would be using the cane for the bad foot. You need the surport and help on the bad foot . Let the good foot do without.

So this is what I would be do . If anyone has the answer that is scientific please let us know.

As to the height I have no idea. I would ask the medical supply house that you purchase the cane from .

These are good quesions. Do we have any re-hab or physical Therapist on this board. I would use the logical answer to this question. . Bad foot equals cane

Julie on 2/16/01 at 02:25 (039113)

Linda, I've not used a cane, only a walking stick, but the height depends not so much on your height but on the distance between the ground and the hand you're holding it in. If the cane is too short, you'll be leaning to that side, and pulling your spine out of line. If it's too long, you'll hunch the shoulder on that side and strain your shoulder and your neck. Any physios listening, please correct me if I'm wrong, and/or elaborate.

If you need a cane, the hospital physio dept should have them in different lengths and help you find the right size.

I agree with Dr Z that it's the injured side that needs the support.

Julie

wendyn on 2/16/01 at 09:01 (039132)

A cane can work wonders. I've used one myself - I prefer one with a foam handle. Make sure it can adjust low enough if you're short - I only use it while out on the most horrible days - I don't want to wreck my wrists.

Use it like everyone says on your bad side, basically move it along to keep pace with the bad foot - and lean your weight on it instead of your foot. Takes some practice but you will get good at it. People will stare at you. You will get used to that too.

Abby on 2/16/01 at 14:01 (039170)

I would go to a medical supply store or even just call them and ask this question, if you already have a cain. Good luck. I wish I had used a cane or crutches after my EPF surgery - don't know if that's what you had done, however. Good luck.