Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Excercise

Posted by Mark on 2/16/01 at 08:54 (039128)

I've had PF for over a year now and I have not been able to do much exercise because of it. Are there any exercises or machines that I can use to keep in shape without putting additional pressure on my feet? Would a rowing machine be a good exercise? Trying to stay in shape desperatly!

Re: Excercise

Steve P on 2/18/01 at 19:45 (039350)

Mark --- Swimming is the first thing that comes to mind. I swim daily & really enjoy it. Other than that, exercises where you are seated with no weight or stress on your feet are hard to find. Situps are good, and there are some upper body exercise machines in a typical fitness center that you use seated. But be careful!

Also, some PF sufferers have reported success using an exercise bike, but be sure your feet are locked into the pedals so that they are not stressed, and go slowly at the beginning, using minimum resistance.

With some careful experimentation you can find what works for you.

Good luck.........Steve

Re: Try out the stationary, semi-recumbant bicycles

Kim B. on 2/19/01 at 00:08 (039371)

Hi Mark,

I went to a health club and spent some time on a few different machines to see which ones are the most comforable for my situation. I really enjoyed exercising on the state of the art stationary Semi-remcumabant bicycles. They were very comfortable and I noticed no increase in pain from using them. The better made ones are very smooth and comfortable. I have a chronic pain illness all over,not just in my feet, so I am highly sensitive to exercise discomfort. I pay big time for poor ergonomics, etc. Big thumbs up on the Semi-recumbants. My feet loved them. No pain or strain what so ever anywhere. Very easy on my back too. For me, the semi-recumbant stationary bike is particularly good, because unlike outside bike riding, I don't have to deal with the weather and temperature extreems. But, some people really enjoy riding out doors.

As a side note, the stationary semi-recumbant bicylces at 'The Q, Sports Club' are hooked up to WebTV and you can watch a show or check your email and visit your favorite internet sites....as long as you keep peddling that is! It was really cool, I rode an extra 2 miles just to see the ending of a comedy show I was watching!

Good luck, hope you find the right exsercise for you, and welcome to the board btw.

Kim B.

Fred S. on 2/19/01 at 04:13 (039376)

I find swimming to be excellent exercise, PF or not. It involves most of your muscles and puts little or no strain on the joints. Water aerobics are also not bad.

Pamela S. on 2/21/01 at 15:44 (039571)

I don't have a REALLY acute case, but I discovered that the Precore elyptical machine doesn't bother my feet. This is a
machine that you stand on the foot pedals, and the action is kindof like a bicycle (but not as great of a circle), and you sort of walk on it. This gives a really good aerobic workout, without pulling on the feet at all.

Steve P on 2/18/01 at 19:45 (039350)

Mark --- Swimming is the first thing that comes to mind. I swim daily & really enjoy it. Other than that, exercises where you are seated with no weight or stress on your feet are hard to find. Situps are good, and there are some upper body exercise machines in a typical fitness center that you use seated. But be careful!

Also, some PF sufferers have reported success using an exercise bike, but be sure your feet are locked into the pedals so that they are not stressed, and go slowly at the beginning, using minimum resistance.

With some careful experimentation you can find what works for you.

Good luck.........Steve

Re: Try out the stationary, semi-recumbant bicycles

Kim B. on 2/19/01 at 00:08 (039371)

Hi Mark,

I went to a health club and spent some time on a few different machines to see which ones are the most comforable for my situation. I really enjoyed exercising on the state of the art stationary Semi-remcumabant bicycles. They were very comfortable and I noticed no increase in pain from using them. The better made ones are very smooth and comfortable. I have a chronic pain illness all over,not just in my feet, so I am highly sensitive to exercise discomfort. I pay big time for poor ergonomics, etc. Big thumbs up on the Semi-recumbants. My feet loved them. No pain or strain what so ever anywhere. Very easy on my back too. For me, the semi-recumbant stationary bike is particularly good, because unlike outside bike riding, I don't have to deal with the weather and temperature extreems. But, some people really enjoy riding out doors.

As a side note, the stationary semi-recumbant bicylces at 'The Q, Sports Club' are hooked up to WebTV and you can watch a show or check your email and visit your favorite internet sites....as long as you keep peddling that is! It was really cool, I rode an extra 2 miles just to see the ending of a comedy show I was watching!

Good luck, hope you find the right exsercise for you, and welcome to the board btw.

Kim B.

Fred S. on 2/19/01 at 04:13 (039376)

I find swimming to be excellent exercise, PF or not. It involves most of your muscles and puts little or no strain on the joints. Water aerobics are also not bad.

Pamela S. on 2/21/01 at 15:44 (039571)

I don't have a REALLY acute case, but I discovered that the Precore elyptical machine doesn't bother my feet. This is a
machine that you stand on the foot pedals, and the action is kindof like a bicycle (but not as great of a circle), and you sort of walk on it. This gives a really good aerobic workout, without pulling on the feet at all.