Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Casting? Weight bearing or not?

Posted by Nancy F. on 2/16/01 at 21:05 (039215)

I am getting to many opinions on this and would like to know why my dr told me to stand when i cast for orthotics and everyone else seems to think sitting(non weight bearing is best) I really need your opinions on this one. thanks a million. Nancy

Re: Casting? Weight bearing or not?

Sean Tambling - C.Ped.,Master Bootfitter on 2/17/01 at 08:22 (039246)

Nancy,
To answer your question easily, when you stand while making the impression it is very difficult to get the foot to neutral and it flattens the heel pocket so much that you don't get the same control as when you take the impression either semi-weight bearing (in my personal,and professional opinion the best method)or prone (or non-weight bearing). In the semi-weight bearing position, you can easily keep the foot in a neutral position and the heel cup has two characteristics. The heel cup is both semi round and also slightly flat in the bottom of the heel cup to alow the fat pad under the heel to squish flat slightly. This type of heel cup gives better control that a full weight bearing heel cup and has a better compliance record with patients. I hope I have explained this in understandable terms. Good Luck.
Sean

Richard, C.Ped on 2/19/01 at 08:07 (039379)

Nancy,
Sean explained it very well. Here is another basic reason not to stand. If somone has flat feet, that is the weight bearing impression you get. As Sean mentioned, you are not able to get the foot in or close to neutral.

That is one of the reasons I don't like the Footmaxx. You walk across it.
Richard

Sean Tambling - C.Ped.,Master Bootfitter on 2/17/01 at 08:22 (039246)

Nancy,
To answer your question easily, when you stand while making the impression it is very difficult to get the foot to neutral and it flattens the heel pocket so much that you don't get the same control as when you take the impression either semi-weight bearing (in my personal,and professional opinion the best method)or prone (or non-weight bearing). In the semi-weight bearing position, you can easily keep the foot in a neutral position and the heel cup has two characteristics. The heel cup is both semi round and also slightly flat in the bottom of the heel cup to alow the fat pad under the heel to squish flat slightly. This type of heel cup gives better control that a full weight bearing heel cup and has a better compliance record with patients. I hope I have explained this in understandable terms. Good Luck.
Sean

Richard, C.Ped on 2/19/01 at 08:07 (039379)

Nancy,
Sean explained it very well. Here is another basic reason not to stand. If somone has flat feet, that is the weight bearing impression you get. As Sean mentioned, you are not able to get the foot in or close to neutral.

That is one of the reasons I don't like the Footmaxx. You walk across it.
Richard