Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

CRUTCHES OR WHEELCHAIR

Posted by DENNIS B. on 2/17/01 at 12:24 (039256)

I SAW WHERE STEVE WILLIAMSON STATED IN HIS HISTORY WITH TTS THAT HE USED A WHEEL CHAIR FOR THE FIRST MONTH AFTER SURGERY. IT HAS ONLY BEEN 10 DAYS SINCE I HAD TTS SURGERY BUT I AM INCLINED TO AGREE WITH HIM THAT A WHEELCHAIR MAY BE BETTER THAN CRUTCHES. I HAVE THE TTS IN BOTH FEET AND THE PAIN IN THE NON-SURGICAL FOOT IS INTENSIFIED WHEN I USE THE CRUTCHES. ALL OF THE CRUTCH USAGE HAS BEEN IN THE HOUSE, HAVE YET TO GO OUTSIDE SINCE THE SURGERY, SO THE TIME SPENT ON THE CRUTCHES IS LIMITED TO AN AVERAGE OF 2 TO 3 MINUTES. THE DR HAS ORDERED NO WEIGHT BEARING ON THE FOOT THAT WAS OPERATED ON SO MY BODY WEIGHT IS DISTRIBUTED TO THE CRUTCHES AND THE NON-SURGICAL FOOT. AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING GETTING A WHEEL CHAIR. ANYONE WITH A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE AND/OR ADVICE ON THIS MATTER?

Re: CRUTCHES OR WHEELCHAIR

Laurie R on 2/17/01 at 13:13 (039259)

Hi Dennis,
Wow, I bet after being in the house for 10 days you are ready for some time out. I think a wheelchair is a great idea if you want to go out . I was in and out of a hard cast with crutches . The crutches were hard to go out in. So once in a while i would ride in the wheelchairs in the store . Much easier to get around in. If I would go in the store on my crutches I would only last a few minutes . So my advise to you is get out of the house and go get a wheelchair . You are going to feel so much better just getting out. Let me know how you did. How is your pain level now?? My very best to you .....Laurie R

Mor S on 2/17/01 at 22:05 (039288)

Hi Dennis.

I believe it is very subjective, depending on your feelings and activities.
I had the surgery on the 7th too.

After two days at home, I used crutches just to the car and to the office. Not to much walking or pressure on foot.

A week after the surgery I had the stitches removed and I have stopped using the crutches at all.

I still have some pain when walking on the operated foot, but again, I'm not skiing... Just the necessary. A wheelchair was not an option for me. Besides, it is too convenient. Will tempt you to keep using it although you might not really need it and getting back to normal walking as soon as you can will help the overall healling process.

But as I said, it is very individual. You have Laurie's recommendation to use a wheelchair and my recommendation to get back to normal life fast without a wheelchair.

Good luck.

Laurie R on 2/17/01 at 13:13 (039259)

Hi Dennis,
Wow, I bet after being in the house for 10 days you are ready for some time out. I think a wheelchair is a great idea if you want to go out . I was in and out of a hard cast with crutches . The crutches were hard to go out in. So once in a while i would ride in the wheelchairs in the store . Much easier to get around in. If I would go in the store on my crutches I would only last a few minutes . So my advise to you is get out of the house and go get a wheelchair . You are going to feel so much better just getting out. Let me know how you did. How is your pain level now?? My very best to you .....Laurie R

Mor S on 2/17/01 at 22:05 (039288)

Hi Dennis.

I believe it is very subjective, depending on your feelings and activities.
I had the surgery on the 7th too.

After two days at home, I used crutches just to the car and to the office. Not to much walking or pressure on foot.

A week after the surgery I had the stitches removed and I have stopped using the crutches at all.

I still have some pain when walking on the operated foot, but again, I'm not skiing... Just the necessary. A wheelchair was not an option for me. Besides, it is too convenient. Will tempt you to keep using it although you might not really need it and getting back to normal walking as soon as you can will help the overall healling process.

But as I said, it is very individual. You have Laurie's recommendation to use a wheelchair and my recommendation to get back to normal life fast without a wheelchair.

Good luck.