Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heelspur - treatment options

Posted by patricia a. on 2/18/01 at 16:24 (039325)

Heel pain started June 2000. Was diagnosed w/spur end of July. In treatment since then: anti-inflammatories, taping, cortisone shots, custom orthotics, now in PT w/ionto. treatments, stretching exercises, ice massage. Seems that nothing really helps long term. Job keeps me on my feet. Have had to give up treadmill walking. Any other treatment options that might help? Also, what do you think of elliptical trainers for people w/heelspurs? Thanks.

Re: heelspur - treatment options

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/18/01 at 17:15 (039331)

Well you have really tried everything. You can in a chronic phase of heel pain. You need to have a complete evaluation of the heel and all related tendons and ligaments. In fact the entire lower extremity needs to be evaluated.

If all of this proves to be centered at the heel where the plantar fascia inserts into the botttom of the heel then you need to be evaluated for either ESWT or heel spur surgery. Read about both of these treatments and take a look at the sections for each.

In my office ESWT has become the treatment before heel spur surgery. You don't have the complications such as nerve damage or collapse of the arch area with ESWT. So first get a complete re-evaluation and take a very close look at ESWT. The only thing that time will be for you since have had no relief is make this worse.

byron s. on 2/18/01 at 19:08 (039345)

doctor.
i am kind of new to this heelspur pain, etc. i am 53 yrs old, been playing tennis in southern cal. for 25 yrs. just last year around august, i started having heel pain. it was a dull pain at first, and has manifested into acute pain. i went to my ortho two wks ago. he made a nite splint and gave me stretching exercises. i called in sick three days to stay off my feet. i am a baggage handler for a major airline. the pain went from acute to annoying, dull again. i actually tried to play tennis yesterday, and it worked for 1 hr....i am in agony as we speak. i know i was impatient and dumb, but i am going crazy. i play tournaments alot with a national ranking, and i want this to go away soon. not 6 mos. or a year as i did with my tennis elbow before surgery. does physical therapy help QQ or am i wasting time QQ i would think an injection would help, it has in the past for shoulder and a seperate elbow thing. if i could have surgery tomorrow and know i would be 100% in a few weeks, i would do it.....i have cushions (do not work), am thinking of cups, (probably willnot work).......HELP !!!!!!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/18/01 at 20:39 (039356)

ESWT is an option . It could knock the pain real quick or some will take up to twelve weeks. Need to know more about your history and time of problem for a better answer.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/18/01 at 17:15 (039331)

Well you have really tried everything. You can in a chronic phase of heel pain. You need to have a complete evaluation of the heel and all related tendons and ligaments. In fact the entire lower extremity needs to be evaluated.

If all of this proves to be centered at the heel where the plantar fascia inserts into the botttom of the heel then you need to be evaluated for either ESWT or heel spur surgery. Read about both of these treatments and take a look at the sections for each.

In my office ESWT has become the treatment before heel spur surgery. You don't have the complications such as nerve damage or collapse of the arch area with ESWT. So first get a complete re-evaluation and take a very close look at ESWT. The only thing that time will be for you since have had no relief is make this worse.

byron s. on 2/18/01 at 19:08 (039345)

doctor.
i am kind of new to this heelspur pain, etc. i am 53 yrs old, been playing tennis in southern cal. for 25 yrs. just last year around august, i started having heel pain. it was a dull pain at first, and has manifested into acute pain. i went to my ortho two wks ago. he made a nite splint and gave me stretching exercises. i called in sick three days to stay off my feet. i am a baggage handler for a major airline. the pain went from acute to annoying, dull again. i actually tried to play tennis yesterday, and it worked for 1 hr....i am in agony as we speak. i know i was impatient and dumb, but i am going crazy. i play tournaments alot with a national ranking, and i want this to go away soon. not 6 mos. or a year as i did with my tennis elbow before surgery. does physical therapy help QQ or am i wasting time QQ i would think an injection would help, it has in the past for shoulder and a seperate elbow thing. if i could have surgery tomorrow and know i would be 100% in a few weeks, i would do it.....i have cushions (do not work), am thinking of cups, (probably willnot work).......HELP !!!!!!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/18/01 at 20:39 (039356)

ESWT is an option . It could knock the pain real quick or some will take up to twelve weeks. Need to know more about your history and time of problem for a better answer.