Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Morton's Neuroma

Posted by Elise M. on 2/18/01 at 19:09 (039346)

Hello,
I know that this site is mostly dealing with heel pain. I spent many months in here while dealing with bilateral PF and healed myself with all the info I obtained. Mainly, I never lost hope because there was so much encouragement both coming and going. Now I find myself with what I believe to be Morton's Neuroma. I have no health insurance and to see a foot doctor where I live is approx. $115.00 just for the office visit. If what I have is truly MN, then surgery is the only alternative and I don't feel like spending that kind of cash to confirm what I already suspect. I have pain in the very front of my foot on top of the instep closest to my toes and my second and third toes are separating and abducting from each other (looks like they're giving a peace sign) I've purchased shoes with a wider toe box in hopes of alleviating some of the pain and it helps. I've found that the stiffer the shoe or boot, the less pain I have in the foot. Any info or suggestions you have would be seriously appreciated........Thanking you in advance.............Elise

Re: Morton's Neuroma

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/18/01 at 20:37 (039355)

Sure sounds like classic neuroma. The v sign. etc. So what to do . Well the wide shoe is good. Getting a metatatarsal padding or bar for the shoe may help. Yes if this is a true neuroma and an extra depth with met head padding and plastizole material is helping then surgery. An open toe shoe with no pressure in the area is a very good treatment. you see neuroma is shoe induced if there was no trauma from the start. I see alot fo neuroma from pf due to the changes in gait and walking more on the front of your foot.

Barbara TX on 2/19/01 at 10:04 (039385)

So sorry you have MN; I do too. It really is painful! Before surgery I am getting dehydrated alchohol injections in my foot to kill the nerve in that area, and hopefully I will be able to avoid getting surgery. The injections are painful, and you can get up to 7 in a row (about 10 days apart) to see if the neuroma can be eliminated that way. So far I've had good luck with them. Lots of people here have had good luck with injections/surgery for this condition. B.

davidb on 2/20/01 at 11:29 (039450)

I have PF in one foot and Morton's Meuroma in the other. I have found that the met pad is extremely important and it must be properly placed if it is to do any good. To avoid a doctor's visit, a good pedorthist at a shoe store can do this. The best shoes I have found to deal with both PF and MN are PW Minor Super extra depth shoes that are 'thermold.' These shoes can be adjusted to your feet by a pedorthist with a heat gun or the shoes simply adjust to your feet on their own. They come extra, extra wide, too. Unfortunately, they are expensive--somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 a pair and you need to find an orthpoedic shoes store that carries them. Good luck, I know how painful both of these lousy conditions can be.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/18/01 at 20:37 (039355)

Sure sounds like classic neuroma. The v sign. etc. So what to do . Well the wide shoe is good. Getting a metatatarsal padding or bar for the shoe may help. Yes if this is a true neuroma and an extra depth with met head padding and plastizole material is helping then surgery. An open toe shoe with no pressure in the area is a very good treatment. you see neuroma is shoe induced if there was no trauma from the start. I see alot fo neuroma from pf due to the changes in gait and walking more on the front of your foot.

Barbara TX on 2/19/01 at 10:04 (039385)

So sorry you have MN; I do too. It really is painful! Before surgery I am getting dehydrated alchohol injections in my foot to kill the nerve in that area, and hopefully I will be able to avoid getting surgery. The injections are painful, and you can get up to 7 in a row (about 10 days apart) to see if the neuroma can be eliminated that way. So far I've had good luck with them. Lots of people here have had good luck with injections/surgery for this condition. B.

davidb on 2/20/01 at 11:29 (039450)

I have PF in one foot and Morton's Meuroma in the other. I have found that the met pad is extremely important and it must be properly placed if it is to do any good. To avoid a doctor's visit, a good pedorthist at a shoe store can do this. The best shoes I have found to deal with both PF and MN are PW Minor Super extra depth shoes that are 'thermold.' These shoes can be adjusted to your feet by a pedorthist with a heat gun or the shoes simply adjust to your feet on their own. They come extra, extra wide, too. Unfortunately, they are expensive--somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 a pair and you need to find an orthpoedic shoes store that carries them. Good luck, I know how painful both of these lousy conditions can be.