Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Chronic plantar faciitis, can't get proper orthotics

Posted by Jeff Salmon on 2/18/01 at 22:14 (039363)

I have had problems for so many years and have spent $$$ all without results. I have had custom orthotics made out of practically every type of foam or plastic imaginable. My problems are: bilateral pronation, heel valgus, flat feet, and as a result I have short achilles tendons, plantar faciitis, all which cause poor sleep (leg and ankle cramps due to dorsiflexion of both feet at night), foot and ankle pain all day. My question is this: In all of the moulding procedures, no allowance is made for controlling the heel. If the heel is controlled by wedge underneath, a semi rigid plastic support on the inside of the calcaneous, then a small arch is formed, which could be filled with an arch support. All the supports I have had have not addressed this, but all the doctors know the answer (at my expense, mind you). I am to the point of making my own supports. I have never seen a podiatrist who has state of the art gait analysis equipment or computerized scanning equipment. Where are they? I am in central coastal california. I was recently seen by an 'expert' in SFO who was to make me something really new (so he said). I received plastic orthotics with a rear posting. I had these 20 years ago. They completely flattened out when I walked on them Worthless. Suggestions?

Re: Chronic plantar faciitis, can't get proper orthotics

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/18/01 at 23:48 (039369)

The orthosis should control calcaneal eversion. This is where the heel bone turns in. You need to be in a deep heel cup. If is very strange that plastic would just flatten out unless they were flat to begin with.

You need to have a complete biomechanical evaluation including gait analysis to find out why your orthosis are flattening out.

There are patients that just won't respond to any orthosis due to the foot being so severe that the foot is pronating right over the orthosis due to the wrong type of shoe.

Maybe Richard who is a board certified orthotist can guild you to a place that can help you. He has his only message board

Richard, C.Ped on 2/19/01 at 08:40 (039381)

Hi Jeff,
Go to my web site and at the bottom of the first page, click on the link to locate a C.Ped. That will take you to a page where you can type in your city and zip code, and all the C.Peds will come up in that area. Many of us know some good physicians and can recommend one for you.

To get to the web site, go to the orthotics/shoes message board and click on my name at the top of the page. It should take you right there. If you have a problem, you can go to just about any search engine (I like altavista and MSN) and simply type in this: 'Palmetto Pedorthic Care'. Use the quotation marks. It should come up.

Richard

Donna SL on 2/19/01 at 12:16 (039390)

Jeff,

Did any of the pods you saw make any of yout orthoses using the inverted orthotic technique, or a medial skive in your orthotic correction? I've read the inverted orthotic technique is probably the best of the two for severe pronation, but requires a very complicated cast work correction, and I've been told that there are not many labs that do it well. The doctor who invented it, and does the corrections himself is in SFO.

I haven't seen any state of the art equipment here either for gait analysis, pressure scanning, etc.

Donna

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/18/01 at 23:48 (039369)

The orthosis should control calcaneal eversion. This is where the heel bone turns in. You need to be in a deep heel cup. If is very strange that plastic would just flatten out unless they were flat to begin with.

You need to have a complete biomechanical evaluation including gait analysis to find out why your orthosis are flattening out.

There are patients that just won't respond to any orthosis due to the foot being so severe that the foot is pronating right over the orthosis due to the wrong type of shoe.

Maybe Richard who is a board certified orthotist can guild you to a place that can help you. He has his only message board

Richard, C.Ped on 2/19/01 at 08:40 (039381)

Hi Jeff,
Go to my web site and at the bottom of the first page, click on the link to locate a C.Ped. That will take you to a page where you can type in your city and zip code, and all the C.Peds will come up in that area. Many of us know some good physicians and can recommend one for you.

To get to the web site, go to the orthotics/shoes message board and click on my name at the top of the page. It should take you right there. If you have a problem, you can go to just about any search engine (I like altavista and MSN) and simply type in this: 'Palmetto Pedorthic Care'. Use the quotation marks. It should come up.

Richard

Donna SL on 2/19/01 at 12:16 (039390)

Jeff,

Did any of the pods you saw make any of yout orthoses using the inverted orthotic technique, or a medial skive in your orthotic correction? I've read the inverted orthotic technique is probably the best of the two for severe pronation, but requires a very complicated cast work correction, and I've been told that there are not many labs that do it well. The doctor who invented it, and does the corrections himself is in SFO.

I haven't seen any state of the art equipment here either for gait analysis, pressure scanning, etc.

Donna