Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Scheduled for Surgery 2/21

Posted by Crys on 2/19/01 at 08:47 (039382)

I am scheduled for PF release on Wednesday. I am really nervous but I know that this is the way to go for my situation. If anyone has had this surgery I wud love to hear how you managed before and after the surgery. Sometimes it helps to hear how things went for others than to just wonder. Thanks

Re: Scheduled for Surgery 2/21

Laura C. on 2/19/01 at 17:16 (039409)

I have friends who have done this, but the more I read about PF, the more I am inclined to say that I would make surgery my very last option. See others' comments about a new laser type of treatment that helps without having near the recovery time as surgery requires. I am currently in the process of coming up with this treatment because I am not being helped by the orthotic inserts that I've been wearing for almost a year now.

susan u on 2/19/01 at 18:16 (039413)

I haven't had the surgery yet, but I am in the process of planning it. Turns out my orthopedic surgeon of 18 years no longer takes my insurance, so I have to go to a new dr. next Monday and start all over again unless I want to pay in excess of $7000! Anyway, I sincerely hope all goes well for you on Wednesday. Let us know how it goes. I have read every message in this message board, and it seems most people are glad they went through with the surgery. I can't wait myself! It's been too many years! I'll be thinking about you Wed!

Crys on 2/20/01 at 06:41 (039435)

I am sorry to hear about your doctor. I hope that all goes well with your doctor on Monday. I will let everyone know how it went. I am getting nervous but I think that can be normal with any surgery. Bu tI am just ready to get something done that is going to help my pain disappear. But thanks again.

Crys on 2/20/01 at 06:45 (039436)

I am sorry to hear that your orthotic inserts aren't working. I have had orthotics for about 8 years they have helped but lately it wouldnt even matter if I had them. I am just ready to get rid of the pain. I have also read on PF and seen the people that it didn't work and I have read how it was a great success. My doctor and I have talked through this and feel that the surgery is the next step. So I am shooting gor the great success road if you know what I mean. But thanks for the comments I appreciate it. And good luck with what you decide to do.

john h on 2/20/01 at 10:12 (039447)

susan: how long have you had PF? i would sure consider ESWT prior to surgery!!!! what type of PF surgery are you planning? Open,Endoscopic,Minimal Invasive,Baxter Procedure. How many has your surgeon done? How much fascia does he plan to release? Ask these questions susan and do not rush into this until you thoroughly know what and how the doctor will perform this surgery. good luck! i have had surgery and ESWT.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 2/21/01 at 00:35 (039525)

Susan (and others in this thread)

Someone in this thread said they heard that those who have had this surgery have all been happy. Well, I think statistically only 70 or 75% of the people are sucessful andter heel spur/fasciitis surgery and I have had many patients who have had surgery before coming into my office that have a LOT of problems afterwards. Surgery should be a LAST resort, especially now that ESW is available.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/21/01 at 21:51 (039606)

I can understand your desire to just get rid of this %@#^ pain but I have had many patients that have been scheduled for foot surgery and come to my office for ESWT . They thanked me due to not having to take the RISKS that foot surgery does have. If there wasn't ESWT then yes foot surgery would be the only option but this has changed and in the last year I have reduce the amount of heel surgery by over 80% which means that 80% of the patients have avoided the risk of getting a surgical procedure. The beauty of ESWT is that even if your foot doesn't repond you can still have the foot surgery . Once you have foot surgery that is it there is no turning back. So if you want an informational packet and or video which describes ESWT just e-mail Dr. Zuckerman (footcare@home.com) . There are also video's on the ESWT section.

So whatever you decide on doing always know that this board is here to help and support your decision. My job is tell you as much as i know and for you to make an informed decision. So feel free to ask any questions that you may have. There are many sites in the USA for ESWT so take a look at the ESWT site that is best for you.

Laura C. on 2/19/01 at 17:16 (039409)

I have friends who have done this, but the more I read about PF, the more I am inclined to say that I would make surgery my very last option. See others' comments about a new laser type of treatment that helps without having near the recovery time as surgery requires. I am currently in the process of coming up with this treatment because I am not being helped by the orthotic inserts that I've been wearing for almost a year now.

susan u on 2/19/01 at 18:16 (039413)

I haven't had the surgery yet, but I am in the process of planning it. Turns out my orthopedic surgeon of 18 years no longer takes my insurance, so I have to go to a new dr. next Monday and start all over again unless I want to pay in excess of $7000! Anyway, I sincerely hope all goes well for you on Wednesday. Let us know how it goes. I have read every message in this message board, and it seems most people are glad they went through with the surgery. I can't wait myself! It's been too many years! I'll be thinking about you Wed!

Crys on 2/20/01 at 06:41 (039435)

I am sorry to hear about your doctor. I hope that all goes well with your doctor on Monday. I will let everyone know how it went. I am getting nervous but I think that can be normal with any surgery. Bu tI am just ready to get something done that is going to help my pain disappear. But thanks again.

Crys on 2/20/01 at 06:45 (039436)

I am sorry to hear that your orthotic inserts aren't working. I have had orthotics for about 8 years they have helped but lately it wouldnt even matter if I had them. I am just ready to get rid of the pain. I have also read on PF and seen the people that it didn't work and I have read how it was a great success. My doctor and I have talked through this and feel that the surgery is the next step. So I am shooting gor the great success road if you know what I mean. But thanks for the comments I appreciate it. And good luck with what you decide to do.

john h on 2/20/01 at 10:12 (039447)

susan: how long have you had PF? i would sure consider ESWT prior to surgery!!!! what type of PF surgery are you planning? Open,Endoscopic,Minimal Invasive,Baxter Procedure. How many has your surgeon done? How much fascia does he plan to release? Ask these questions susan and do not rush into this until you thoroughly know what and how the doctor will perform this surgery. good luck! i have had surgery and ESWT.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 2/21/01 at 00:35 (039525)

Susan (and others in this thread)

Someone in this thread said they heard that those who have had this surgery have all been happy. Well, I think statistically only 70 or 75% of the people are sucessful andter heel spur/fasciitis surgery and I have had many patients who have had surgery before coming into my office that have a LOT of problems afterwards. Surgery should be a LAST resort, especially now that ESW is available.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/21/01 at 21:51 (039606)

I can understand your desire to just get rid of this %@#^ pain but I have had many patients that have been scheduled for foot surgery and come to my office for ESWT . They thanked me due to not having to take the RISKS that foot surgery does have. If there wasn't ESWT then yes foot surgery would be the only option but this has changed and in the last year I have reduce the amount of heel surgery by over 80% which means that 80% of the patients have avoided the risk of getting a surgical procedure. The beauty of ESWT is that even if your foot doesn't repond you can still have the foot surgery . Once you have foot surgery that is it there is no turning back. So if you want an informational packet and or video which describes ESWT just e-mail Dr. Zuckerman (footcare@home.com) . There are also video's on the ESWT section.

So whatever you decide on doing always know that this board is here to help and support your decision. My job is tell you as much as i know and for you to make an informed decision. So feel free to ask any questions that you may have. There are many sites in the USA for ESWT so take a look at the ESWT site that is best for you.