Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MSM Update-3 weeks

Posted by Barb-NY on 2/19/01 at 16:25 (039407)

Well, it's now been 3 weeks on the MSM caps and cream, and I'm still seeing improvement every day. Today I feel almost normal. What a concept !!!

My right foot started to hurt slightly on Wednesday because I was walking too much at work. By Thursday, I felt fine. I've noticed that if I overdue it with too much walking or standing, any pain disappears by the next day.

I've decided to start taking the caps twice a day. The bottle says the recommended dose is 1 to 3 caps daily. And, I'm going to start making my own cream buy buying MSM in bulk powder form and mixing it with lotion. I found a site that gives the recipe.

I still have pain when I push on THE spot with my thumb. But, I'm beginning to wonder if that may not be normal. I pushed that spot on my husband's foot and it hurt him, but he no problems with his feet! I asked my Chiro about that test, and he said it would hurt anyone given enough pressure. Interesting !!! Since I never did that test before I developed PF, I have nothing to guage it by.

Anyway, that's my MSM update for now.

Re: MSM Update-3 weeks

Barbara TX on 2/20/01 at 09:31 (039443)

Barb - Could you tell me how long you've had PF? I can't recall. Thanks! B.

Barb-NY on 2/20/01 at 11:42 (039453)

I just celebrated (?) my 1 year anniversary with PF.

Brian G on 2/20/01 at 19:05 (039490)

Hi Barb,

Thanks for the news. I started on the MSM myself this week. I've been on the pills for 3 or 4 days, and started the cream today. Thanks god it's not as exensive as Glucosomine and Condroitin. I tried that for 4 months with no relief. I've had the dreaded PF for years, so I do not expect to see immediate results, but wouldn't that be nice :*)

BG

Barb-NY on 2/20/01 at 20:33 (039510)

I used to take Glucosomine and Chondroitin for my knees. It worked wonders. I developed PF while I was taking them. Glu/Chon is for cartilage repair, not for other types of connective tissues, so it's not surprising that it didn't work for you.

I found that the MSM started to work for me within a week. I call it my magic pill. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Barb

Nancy N on 2/21/01 at 09:33 (039541)

Barb--

Is the MSM helping your elbow as well? I don't suppose you've tried stopping it just to see what hhappens--I'm curious if it actually helps the body heal, or does it just help with the pain. Any guesses? My feet are a little more sore than they have been for a while and since the study is ending for you and I on Friday, I want to try going without the Celebrex and see what happens. Now that it looks like we won't be able to get the real treatment until 'early summer,' I might look into MSM in the meantime (I'm tired of taking Celebrex, and it might help my back, too). Have you found any good information about side effects or drug interactions with MSM?

Barb-NY on 2/21/01 at 10:45 (039550)

Hey Nancy...the MSM is helping my elbow a little. I just hope it doesn't skew the Orthowave study. My feet have been helped more than my elbow. I think that's because after 2+ years with tendonitis, there is actual damage and scar tissue in my elbow and I'm not sure that the scar tissue can be desolved or softened enough to give me total relief.

As for the MSM actually healing and not just masking the pain...my arches are less inflammed and appear/feel less swollen. They even LOOK more normal. I need to do some more research. I've been on Vioxx for 8 months. It has never worked for me and, frankly, I don't know why I'm still taking it. I does do a great job with period cramps. I've been thinking of stopping it also. MSM has done more in 3 weeks than Vioxx in 8 months.

See ya (maybe) on Friday!

Pauline on 2/22/01 at 11:13 (039640)

Barb,
Did you tell us what MSM was? I missed reading it. Could you repeat for any who missed your other posting? Hope this won't bore those who hate double postings.

Barb-NY on 2/22/01 at 13:43 (039656)

I found a couple of websites that talk about MSM.

http://www.nutriteam.com/msm.htm

http://www.herbshop.com/msm.htm

Barbara TX on 2/20/01 at 09:31 (039443)

Barb - Could you tell me how long you've had PF? I can't recall. Thanks! B.

Barb-NY on 2/20/01 at 11:42 (039453)

I just celebrated (?) my 1 year anniversary with PF.

Brian G on 2/20/01 at 19:05 (039490)

Hi Barb,

Thanks for the news. I started on the MSM myself this week. I've been on the pills for 3 or 4 days, and started the cream today. Thanks god it's not as exensive as Glucosomine and Condroitin. I tried that for 4 months with no relief. I've had the dreaded PF for years, so I do not expect to see immediate results, but wouldn't that be nice :*)

BG

Barb-NY on 2/20/01 at 20:33 (039510)

I used to take Glucosomine and Chondroitin for my knees. It worked wonders. I developed PF while I was taking them. Glu/Chon is for cartilage repair, not for other types of connective tissues, so it's not surprising that it didn't work for you.

I found that the MSM started to work for me within a week. I call it my magic pill. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Barb

Nancy N on 2/21/01 at 09:33 (039541)

Barb--

Is the MSM helping your elbow as well? I don't suppose you've tried stopping it just to see what hhappens--I'm curious if it actually helps the body heal, or does it just help with the pain. Any guesses? My feet are a little more sore than they have been for a while and since the study is ending for you and I on Friday, I want to try going without the Celebrex and see what happens. Now that it looks like we won't be able to get the real treatment until 'early summer,' I might look into MSM in the meantime (I'm tired of taking Celebrex, and it might help my back, too). Have you found any good information about side effects or drug interactions with MSM?

Barb-NY on 2/21/01 at 10:45 (039550)

Hey Nancy...the MSM is helping my elbow a little. I just hope it doesn't skew the Orthowave study. My feet have been helped more than my elbow. I think that's because after 2+ years with tendonitis, there is actual damage and scar tissue in my elbow and I'm not sure that the scar tissue can be desolved or softened enough to give me total relief.

As for the MSM actually healing and not just masking the pain...my arches are less inflammed and appear/feel less swollen. They even LOOK more normal. I need to do some more research. I've been on Vioxx for 8 months. It has never worked for me and, frankly, I don't know why I'm still taking it. I does do a great job with period cramps. I've been thinking of stopping it also. MSM has done more in 3 weeks than Vioxx in 8 months.

See ya (maybe) on Friday!

Pauline on 2/22/01 at 11:13 (039640)

Barb,
Did you tell us what MSM was? I missed reading it. Could you repeat for any who missed your other posting? Hope this won't bore those who hate double postings.

Barb-NY on 2/22/01 at 13:43 (039656)

I found a couple of websites that talk about MSM.

http://www.nutriteam.com/msm.htm

http://www.herbshop.com/msm.htm