Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Breathing and healing - 14 days post eswt

Posted by Cynthia D on 2/20/01 at 14:56 (039468)

I have discovered something interesting. I have been taking a yoga class where we breathe deeply. When I practice, even in bed before I get up, if I do a deep constant breathing for at least 10 minutes, my feet slightly tingle and it feel as if they are receiving more oxygen. I am then able to walk more easily. After today's yoga session, I actually walked without my crutches and didn't limp!! This is only 14 days post ESWT! I am very pleased. Try it!

Re: Breathing and healing - 14 days post eswt

Jill P on 2/20/01 at 15:45 (039473)

Wow, how interesting!!! Glad that you are doing better! Do you still have that awful pain (tight ball) in your left foot? I hope that is going away. Thanks for keeping us posted and for your reply about my dentist appointment on the other thread! Jill P

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/20/01 at 17:22 (039482)

WOW

I can take a deep breath and not worry about you running me over with the baby stroller. Glad to hear some improvement.

Julie on 2/21/01 at 02:10 (039529)

Cynthia, I'm glad you're finding yoga helpful, and thank you for sharing your experience. Improvement in breathing habits is one of the most important effects of yoga practice, and I'm not surprised it has had the effect you describe on your feet.

Physiologically, your feet ARE receiving more oxygen. The deeper inhalation has stimulated the circulation to your extremities and delivered an increased oxygen supply to every cell in your body. Given that there is probably a relationship between PF and poor circulation, it makes sense that you would notice a difference.

But there is also an effect on your mental and emotional states. The fuller exhalation calms the sympathetic nervous system and activates the parasympathetic NS, releases tension, relieves anxiety, and brings about a sense of calm. All this can have an effect on pain levels. (It's actually one of the lynchpins of the work I do with cancer patients.)

In case anybody gets enthusiastic about breathing deeply and wants to try it, please be careful to avoid hyperventilating, especially if you are (like most people) a shallow breather. Start by simply being aware of your normal breath, and increase its depth gradually.

Simple stretching, co-ordinated with the breath, is a natural aid to deeper breathing. For example: raise your arms in front of you as you breathe in, and lower them as you breathe out, 3-5 times. Then raise your arms sideways as you breathe in, bringing your palms together; then turn the palms out and loweryour arms as you breathe out. 3-5 times. Don't 'try' to breathe deeply: the movements will deepen the breath naturally.

Then lie on your back on the floor with your knees bent, your feet and knees hip width apart, a low pillow under your head. Rest your hands on your abdomen and be aware of the movement in the abdomen as you breathe: rising gently on the inbreath, sinking back down on the outbreath.

Please feel free to e-mail me if anything isn't clear or if there are any questions.

All the best

Julie

Cynthia D on 2/21/01 at 11:45 (039553)

Hi Jill. The tight ball is much better now. It's still there, but not so much a ball feeling, it's broken down some. Just a feeling of soreness when I try to put all my weight on it. I find crutches really are helping if I need to walk far, otherwise, I'm still limping. I do really feel a difference when I make time to do this breathing thing and/or soak in hot water. Now I am able to stretch my feet in all directions, and massage them. This helps a lot. I haven't yet dared to do the wall/calf stretch, too much weight on one foot. You will be able to judge what your feet need by how they feel. Let your feet be your guide. And rest.

Jill P on 2/20/01 at 15:45 (039473)

Wow, how interesting!!! Glad that you are doing better! Do you still have that awful pain (tight ball) in your left foot? I hope that is going away. Thanks for keeping us posted and for your reply about my dentist appointment on the other thread! Jill P

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/20/01 at 17:22 (039482)

WOW

I can take a deep breath and not worry about you running me over with the baby stroller. Glad to hear some improvement.

Julie on 2/21/01 at 02:10 (039529)

Cynthia, I'm glad you're finding yoga helpful, and thank you for sharing your experience. Improvement in breathing habits is one of the most important effects of yoga practice, and I'm not surprised it has had the effect you describe on your feet.

Physiologically, your feet ARE receiving more oxygen. The deeper inhalation has stimulated the circulation to your extremities and delivered an increased oxygen supply to every cell in your body. Given that there is probably a relationship between PF and poor circulation, it makes sense that you would notice a difference.

But there is also an effect on your mental and emotional states. The fuller exhalation calms the sympathetic nervous system and activates the parasympathetic NS, releases tension, relieves anxiety, and brings about a sense of calm. All this can have an effect on pain levels. (It's actually one of the lynchpins of the work I do with cancer patients.)

In case anybody gets enthusiastic about breathing deeply and wants to try it, please be careful to avoid hyperventilating, especially if you are (like most people) a shallow breather. Start by simply being aware of your normal breath, and increase its depth gradually.

Simple stretching, co-ordinated with the breath, is a natural aid to deeper breathing. For example: raise your arms in front of you as you breathe in, and lower them as you breathe out, 3-5 times. Then raise your arms sideways as you breathe in, bringing your palms together; then turn the palms out and loweryour arms as you breathe out. 3-5 times. Don't 'try' to breathe deeply: the movements will deepen the breath naturally.

Then lie on your back on the floor with your knees bent, your feet and knees hip width apart, a low pillow under your head. Rest your hands on your abdomen and be aware of the movement in the abdomen as you breathe: rising gently on the inbreath, sinking back down on the outbreath.

Please feel free to e-mail me if anything isn't clear or if there are any questions.

All the best

Julie

Cynthia D on 2/21/01 at 11:45 (039553)

Hi Jill. The tight ball is much better now. It's still there, but not so much a ball feeling, it's broken down some. Just a feeling of soreness when I try to put all my weight on it. I find crutches really are helping if I need to walk far, otherwise, I'm still limping. I do really feel a difference when I make time to do this breathing thing and/or soak in hot water. Now I am able to stretch my feet in all directions, and massage them. This helps a lot. I haven't yet dared to do the wall/calf stretch, too much weight on one foot. You will be able to judge what your feet need by how they feel. Let your feet be your guide. And rest.