Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just 3 days until I meet the Wizard!

Posted by Jill P on 2/20/01 at 16:18 (039478)

I'm getting so close! I leave day after tomorrow already and see Dr. Z. on Friday!!! I can hardly believe it. I feel like it's a dream.

I have borrowed a wheelchair in case I need it for going to our family center classes as it's a big parking lot and building. I just called my pod here to check about getting a very temporary handicapped permit, but it didn't sound like they thought they could issue one since they weren't the ones doing the ESWT. She said it would probably have to be Dr. Z but then I'd have to wait for one to be mailed out (probably wouldn't even need the thing by the time it got here) or drive to the licensing office to get one but I am hoping not to have to drive too much after.

GOOD NEWS! She just called me back and said that my dr. here will sign the form for a one month permit so I can take care of getting that over the the licensing place yet tomorrow so it'll be ready after I get back! YEAH!

Now for packing. I am wondering what to bring for footwear. I will wear my Reebok Walk DMX with my orthotics as always when out. At home I usually have my Birkenstock sandals. Will I be able/comfortable in them after ESWT because they are harder than my Reeboks? I'm planning to drag along my night splint too which is kind of bulky to say the least,lol. Lori E. I think, mentioned shower shoes which I would never remembered until I got there and needed to shower. I feel like my whole bag is going to be foot gear! I really want to just pack one smallish carry on so as to avoid baggage since with two kids we NEVER get to travel lightly.

So others give me opinions night splint? Shower shoes? Birkenstock sandals? Did your shoes fit comfortably after the ESWT or are they swollen?

Any other stuff I should think of to pack? Thanks everyone! :) Jill P

Re: Just 3 days until I meet the Wizard!

Laurie R on 2/20/01 at 20:22 (039503)

Hi Jill,
I just wanted to wish you luck. You are so lucky to be meeting Dr.Z .....Please give him a big hug from me.Have fun and I hope this makes you all better...... Laurie R

Barbara TX on 2/20/01 at 20:31 (039509)

I don't recall ever hearing of swelling after the procedure. I don't think I was even bruised. Pack all the foot-stuff that makes you comfortable and at ease. I wish you the best of luck. I know all folks are different, but ESWT was a snap for me. Good luck to you;you are in good hands! B.

Cynthia D on 2/20/01 at 20:45 (039512)

Hi Jill. I'm no expert, but I'd say ditch everything except your sneakers and orthotics. Dr. Wizard recommended wearing the same shoes and othos. for a while and not using the night splint. You will want to give your feet at least a few days to settle in and begin the healing process before you stretch or use the night splint. Hot soaks are all you'll need to do in the beginning.

So just pack some comfy clothes and travel light. Hopefully, the wheelchair will just become a nuisance and you won't need it. I only needed it because walking from the car, through the hotel lobby, down the long hall to my room was just too much. But if you can park close to your cousin's door, you can probably walk that far.

And be sure to pack your sense of humor! Let us know how you do.

Jasmine on 2/21/01 at 10:17 (039548)

Hi Jill - I'm kinda new here, so I don't know your history or anything, but I just wanted to wish you a safe trip and wonderful results from your treatment. I just had Orbasone treatment done on Friday (in L.A.), and it wasn't that bad...I wouldn't classify it was a pleasant experience or anything, but I didn't need anasthetic, and it was quite tolerable. The best part is that I walked away feeling immediate improvement! I do wish the same for you! That makes it well worth it!

Best of Luck!
Jasmine

Cynthia D on 2/21/01 at 11:35 (039551)

Hi Jasmine, I was wondering how you tolerated the treatment. No anesthetic? Wow. I wonder if I had done my right foot first if I could have made it, too. My left foot was the longest pfer. By the time Dr. Wizard got to the right one, I was so out of it, that it actually felt good. Kind of like a deep pounding massage. I'm curious that you are going again so soon. How do your feet feel? Are you walking around now like before? Do you feel your feet are ready for another treatment? I did up to 17kV for 2500 pulses and I couldn't imagine doing it again for at least several more weeks. Hope you continue improving and that this info will also help Jill and others.

Lori E. on 2/21/01 at 14:55 (039569)

Jill,
I am very excited for you. If I were you, I would leave the night splint at home. I found that the shower shoes were important for me. But shower shoes are usually pretty easy to pack. You have the right idea of packing light. It makes navigating the airport much easier.
I don't know if you will need a wheel chair except at the airport. Did you notify the airline that you have a disability? That will help in staying off your feet.
As far as other shoes. Bring only the shoes you are comfortable with. They are all you need. You should have no problem fitting into your shoes after ESWT.
I am glad you got the handicap permit, but what is the deal with our Dr.s in MN not wanting to give us a permit? I got a form from the state and then Dr. Z signed it, since he gave me the treatment. I had no trouble with the state. They were very understanding. You can even send in the form, and you get it in about 2 weeks.
You do qualify as someone who can't walk farther than 200 ft. when you have chronic PF. If you are going to the DMV, get an extra form from them. The recovery period for ESWT is 6-12 weeks at least. Talk about this and your recovery with Dr. Z and see what he says. I am thinking good thoughts for you and say hi to Dr. Z for me.

Laurie R on 2/20/01 at 20:22 (039503)

Hi Jill,
I just wanted to wish you luck. You are so lucky to be meeting Dr.Z .....Please give him a big hug from me.Have fun and I hope this makes you all better...... Laurie R

Barbara TX on 2/20/01 at 20:31 (039509)

I don't recall ever hearing of swelling after the procedure. I don't think I was even bruised. Pack all the foot-stuff that makes you comfortable and at ease. I wish you the best of luck. I know all folks are different, but ESWT was a snap for me. Good luck to you;you are in good hands! B.

Cynthia D on 2/20/01 at 20:45 (039512)

Hi Jill. I'm no expert, but I'd say ditch everything except your sneakers and orthotics. Dr. Wizard recommended wearing the same shoes and othos. for a while and not using the night splint. You will want to give your feet at least a few days to settle in and begin the healing process before you stretch or use the night splint. Hot soaks are all you'll need to do in the beginning.

So just pack some comfy clothes and travel light. Hopefully, the wheelchair will just become a nuisance and you won't need it. I only needed it because walking from the car, through the hotel lobby, down the long hall to my room was just too much. But if you can park close to your cousin's door, you can probably walk that far.

And be sure to pack your sense of humor! Let us know how you do.

Jasmine on 2/21/01 at 10:17 (039548)

Hi Jill - I'm kinda new here, so I don't know your history or anything, but I just wanted to wish you a safe trip and wonderful results from your treatment. I just had Orbasone treatment done on Friday (in L.A.), and it wasn't that bad...I wouldn't classify it was a pleasant experience or anything, but I didn't need anasthetic, and it was quite tolerable. The best part is that I walked away feeling immediate improvement! I do wish the same for you! That makes it well worth it!

Best of Luck!
Jasmine

Cynthia D on 2/21/01 at 11:35 (039551)

Hi Jasmine, I was wondering how you tolerated the treatment. No anesthetic? Wow. I wonder if I had done my right foot first if I could have made it, too. My left foot was the longest pfer. By the time Dr. Wizard got to the right one, I was so out of it, that it actually felt good. Kind of like a deep pounding massage. I'm curious that you are going again so soon. How do your feet feel? Are you walking around now like before? Do you feel your feet are ready for another treatment? I did up to 17kV for 2500 pulses and I couldn't imagine doing it again for at least several more weeks. Hope you continue improving and that this info will also help Jill and others.

Lori E. on 2/21/01 at 14:55 (039569)

Jill,
I am very excited for you. If I were you, I would leave the night splint at home. I found that the shower shoes were important for me. But shower shoes are usually pretty easy to pack. You have the right idea of packing light. It makes navigating the airport much easier.
I don't know if you will need a wheel chair except at the airport. Did you notify the airline that you have a disability? That will help in staying off your feet.
As far as other shoes. Bring only the shoes you are comfortable with. They are all you need. You should have no problem fitting into your shoes after ESWT.
I am glad you got the handicap permit, but what is the deal with our Dr.s in MN not wanting to give us a permit? I got a form from the state and then Dr. Z signed it, since he gave me the treatment. I had no trouble with the state. They were very understanding. You can even send in the form, and you get it in about 2 weeks.
You do qualify as someone who can't walk farther than 200 ft. when you have chronic PF. If you are going to the DMV, get an extra form from them. The recovery period for ESWT is 6-12 weeks at least. Talk about this and your recovery with Dr. Z and see what he says. I am thinking good thoughts for you and say hi to Dr. Z for me.