Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Feldenkrais class update

Posted by Nancy N on 2/20/01 at 19:35 (039495)

Hi there. I have just had my second Feldenkrais class. I haven't noticed any difference in my feet, but I have also not incorporated the exercises into my day yet (I couldn't remember most of them--he brought us handouts this time, which is apparently not normally done, so we'll see what happens).

Anyway, Itonight we worked on the extensor muscles in the back. You may have seen my post on the doctor board last week about my recent arthritis diagnosis in my back.--it's a mild case of osteoarthritis, and when I found out about it, I was extra glad I took this class. And I have to say, it may be a bit premature, but tonight, my back feels better than it has in a week (it literally got worse right after my doctor called me last week--I'm not sure what happened there!). So something is happening!

I'll let you know how things progress as I go on. It's only a 4-week class, so I have two more sessions to go.

Re: Feldenkrais class update

jspeckman on 5/08/01 at hrmin (046997)

HI Nancy,
Are you taking ATM classes? If so, unless you enjoy the class environment alot it is cheaper to purchase ATM audio tapes from Feldenkrais resources.
Also, Thomas Hanna, an early student of Dr. F. developed a hybrid method called Hanna Somatics which incorporates some sophisticated uses of PNF style 'stretches' along with the sensory awareness aspects. I recommend his three tape sets titled 'Feet, knees, pelvis' and 'Legs and hip joints' available at Somatics web site.
Have you taken any Functional Integration lessons? If considering, question teacher on his/her knowledge of feet, plantar fascia, etc. Oftentimes the Feldenkrais practioner, though skilled and intuitive is fuzzy on anatomical and muskuloskeletal details. However, if you find the right teacher at the right time and manage the right kind of communication, you may discover a bit of magic about your body/mind(or Soma as Thomas Hanna would've said).
I completed half of a Feld. Method training program. Some personal benefit, the tape series above I've found most helpful lately.

Re: Feldenkrais class update

jspeckman on 5/08/01 at hrmin (046997)

HI Nancy,
Are you taking ATM classes? If so, unless you enjoy the class environment alot it is cheaper to purchase ATM audio tapes from Feldenkrais resources.
Also, Thomas Hanna, an early student of Dr. F. developed a hybrid method called Hanna Somatics which incorporates some sophisticated uses of PNF style 'stretches' along with the sensory awareness aspects. I recommend his three tape sets titled 'Feet, knees, pelvis' and 'Legs and hip joints' available at Somatics web site.
Have you taken any Functional Integration lessons? If considering, question teacher on his/her knowledge of feet, plantar fascia, etc. Oftentimes the Feldenkrais practioner, though skilled and intuitive is fuzzy on anatomical and muskuloskeletal details. However, if you find the right teacher at the right time and manage the right kind of communication, you may discover a bit of magic about your body/mind(or Soma as Thomas Hanna would've said).
I completed half of a Feld. Method training program. Some personal benefit, the tape series above I've found most helpful lately.