Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT for pubic symphysis

Posted by Mara L on 2/21/01 at 18:14 (039578)

Has anyone had experience with ESWT anywhere around the pelvic ring? I have not been able to find a study/trials
with respect to the pelvic region.

Feel free to respond to my email-I require this info asap!

Thanks much.

Re: ESWT for pubic symphysis

john h on 2/21/01 at 19:05 (039591)

i have read a lot but have read of no studies of ESWT around the pelvic region. having said that the orbasone,ossatron,etc are basically the same machines with the same technology as a lipotriptor which is used to destroy kidney stones with shock waves. whether they use the lipotriptor to destroy kidney stones in the ureter i do not know. healthronics who manufactures the ossatron (ESWT) also manufactures lipotriptors.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/21/01 at 19:46 (039598)

If the area is not near the spinal cord or over nerves it could be used for any insertional tendonitis. The piriform syndrome may be one of the areas to be treated. In general I can't think of any region in the pelive region

Bruce Thoman on 2/22/01 at 08:11 (039624)

Yes,sonorex has been used for this injury in Canada. See ESWT home page for more info.

Mara on 2/22/01 at 18:01 (039672)

I'm sorry-I didn't understand your response. I wasn't clear in my initial posting.
My problem is a non union of the pubic symphysis after 3 surgeries with bone grafts.
Do you mind running that one by me again-much appreciated.

Re: Dr. Zuckerman-added info-pls respond

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/23/01 at 10:39 (039724)

ESWT is used for non-union of bones. There are FDA approval studies going on. So long as the area isn't over the spinal cord and the area is non-displaced then you could be a candidate. The real problem is finding some one who is treating that area of the body with ESWT for non-unions. This is still what is called an off label use of ESWT in this country. The use of ESWT has been used for many years in Europe. I don't know about Canada.

Go to the search engines on the internet and look up pseudo-arthrosis or non-union.

Re: Thanks Dr. Zuckerman

mara on 2/23/01 at 12:11 (039731)

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It's much appreciated

john h on 2/21/01 at 19:05 (039591)

i have read a lot but have read of no studies of ESWT around the pelvic region. having said that the orbasone,ossatron,etc are basically the same machines with the same technology as a lipotriptor which is used to destroy kidney stones with shock waves. whether they use the lipotriptor to destroy kidney stones in the ureter i do not know. healthronics who manufactures the ossatron (ESWT) also manufactures lipotriptors.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/21/01 at 19:46 (039598)

If the area is not near the spinal cord or over nerves it could be used for any insertional tendonitis. The piriform syndrome may be one of the areas to be treated. In general I can't think of any region in the pelive region

Bruce Thoman on 2/22/01 at 08:11 (039624)

Yes,sonorex has been used for this injury in Canada. See ESWT home page for more info.

Mara on 2/22/01 at 18:01 (039672)

I'm sorry-I didn't understand your response. I wasn't clear in my initial posting.
My problem is a non union of the pubic symphysis after 3 surgeries with bone grafts.
Do you mind running that one by me again-much appreciated.

Re: Dr. Zuckerman-added info-pls respond

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/23/01 at 10:39 (039724)

ESWT is used for non-union of bones. There are FDA approval studies going on. So long as the area isn't over the spinal cord and the area is non-displaced then you could be a candidate. The real problem is finding some one who is treating that area of the body with ESWT for non-unions. This is still what is called an off label use of ESWT in this country. The use of ESWT has been used for many years in Europe. I don't know about Canada.

Go to the search engines on the internet and look up pseudo-arthrosis or non-union.

Re: Thanks Dr. Zuckerman

mara on 2/23/01 at 12:11 (039731)

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It's much appreciated