Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can my X-rays go through the X-ray machine at the airport?

Posted by Jill P on 2/21/01 at 20:09 (039600)

Hello everyone! Thank you all so much for your help and support on the other thread. I really appreciate each response so much!

I have another question as I am packing to leave tomorrow. Can my x-rays go through the x-ray machine at the airport? I know someone mentioned not to take MRI films through them so I was wondering. I don't want to pack them in the bottom of the bag if I am going to have to take them out before the security check.

Yikes! I can hardly believe that I leave tomorrow and my appointment is on Friday! Any good thoughts or prayers sent my way out to Dr. Z's office at 1pm Eastern time are much appreciated! Jill P

Re: Can my X-rays go through the X-ray machine at the airport?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/21/01 at 21:30 (039602)

This is a first. I would ask the people at the airport. If the x-rays are over three months old, leave them at home, i will take new ones that day.

Re: Can my X-rays go through the X-ray machine? Not a good idea

Lori E. on 2/21/01 at 22:27 (039611)

Jill,
The answer is no. I too my MRI films with me to Dr. Z's and I sent my thru the machine. The operator stopped us and checked the films. She said that MRI and X-ray films should not go thru. Luckily the films were okay.
Take Dr. Z's advice, leave your x-rays at home if they are more than 3 mo. old. Then you don't have to lug them around the airport. Have a great trip!

Dave on 3/01/01 at 02:04 (040136)

the answer is yes they can,

once the film has been processed, all the silver nitrate is washed away from the films.. if more x-rays hit them, it won't do anything as there is no more silver nitrate on the film to be left to be exposed.

MRI and CT films are the same. nowadays they use dry laser technology, so no silver nitrate is used at all

Dave

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/21/01 at 21:30 (039602)

This is a first. I would ask the people at the airport. If the x-rays are over three months old, leave them at home, i will take new ones that day.

Re: Can my X-rays go through the X-ray machine? Not a good idea

Lori E. on 2/21/01 at 22:27 (039611)

Jill,
The answer is no. I too my MRI films with me to Dr. Z's and I sent my thru the machine. The operator stopped us and checked the films. She said that MRI and X-ray films should not go thru. Luckily the films were okay.
Take Dr. Z's advice, leave your x-rays at home if they are more than 3 mo. old. Then you don't have to lug them around the airport. Have a great trip!

Dave on 3/01/01 at 02:04 (040136)

the answer is yes they can,

once the film has been processed, all the silver nitrate is washed away from the films.. if more x-rays hit them, it won't do anything as there is no more silver nitrate on the film to be left to be exposed.

MRI and CT films are the same. nowadays they use dry laser technology, so no silver nitrate is used at all

Dave