Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery Success

Posted by Donna Y. on 2/22/01 at 12:22 (039650)

It's been some time since I have posted an update, but I wanted to let you all know how recovery is going. It's been so long since my last post because I've been busy! Yes, busy walking and taking trips to the grocery store and working.

It's been about 4 1/2 weeks since the surgery and I couldn't be any more pleased with the outcome so far. I still experience pain, but it's better even now than it was before surgery and I'm completely free of my crutches. For those of you that may not remember the particulars of my surgery, I had an open procedure performed by an orthopaedic surgeon, partial (50%) release of the PF and a heel spur removed.

I do want to let those of you who eventually need surgery know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. And the people here on this board are a great part of the pre-surgical and recovery support process. Thank you all for all the kind words and support you have offered me. I only plan on getting better and better from here on out and I wish all the best to those who end up heading down the same road. It is possible to go through surgery and end up a success story!

Donna Y.

P.S. I want to add a note here that I still believe in ESWT. I would definitely have considered it had the timing been right for me. It's a relatively new procedure, but I would highly recommend it before seeking surgical treatment. There are some patients who end up needing surgery, but this non-invasive treatment is an avenue that should be given -serous- consideration before the more invasive and possibly life altering surgical procedures out there.

Re: Surgery Success

Barbara TX on 2/22/01 at 23:44 (039700)

Congratulations, Donna! I am so happy for you, finally getting around again. It is so nice to hear a story about a surgery that is sucessful. It is good to know that if ESWT doesn't do the trick, there is often hope in surgery. Enjoy! B.

Laurie R on 2/23/01 at 01:07 (039702)

Hello Donna,
I second what Barbara TX said .It is so nice to hear someone doing so well after surgery. I also will be having surgery.When I have no clue . Your post is the second positive one I read today .It just makes me so happy to hear that you and Marie are doing so well. Please keep us posted .As you know, even if you are all healed come back to let us know.My very best to you ..Laurie R

Re: 15 weeks post op

Pat on 2/24/01 at 17:44 (039817)

It's been 15 weeks since my surgery and I am finally off crutches. I had the same procedure as Donna, partial (50%) release of the PF and heel spur removal by an Orthopedic Surgeon. During my recovery I started having pain on the top of my foot near my little toe and the next one. The Doctor thought I might have a bone fracture, but after several tests, he found out it was nerve inflammation that was causing the pain.

Donna, I can't believe how good you are doing. I ask my Doctor how my healing time was compared to his other PF patients and he said, 'Very slow'. I said, 'Is that because I'm very old (67 years)'.

My foot is still weak and it hurts if I am on it too long, but I don't have the constant pain I had for 15 years before surgery. Guess I should have had surgery years ago when I was young,like Donna.

Marie, I hope you heal as fast as Donna has.

Pat

Donna Y. on 2/24/01 at 23:56 (039833)

Pat-

It's so good to hear that you are finally free of crutches. One of the reasons I went ahead with surgery was age. I'm 30 now and I really didn't want to have the problem continue to progress until I got to an age where recovery would surely be more lengthy and difficult. But not all of us have that option.

Great report for today... I have been walking today with -no- pain. Absolutely none. It's amazing. No painkillers, either. I was just suddenly pain free when I took my first steps this morning. We'll hope that things continue to improve, but I am very very excited to have had one day of normalcy. It was incredible.

I wish you all the same speedy recovery I have been blessed with and the same type of gifted surgeon that I have been so fortunate to have found to do my surgery.

Donna Y.

Re: 15 weeks post op - WE NEED MORE POSITIVE NEWS LIKE THIS

Cynthia D on 2/25/01 at 09:56 (039847)

Hi Donna! Congratulations - just what I needed to hear - some positive news. I'm so glad you can get up and walk pain-free - it must be so nice. I'll bet there are so many people out there who have been helped by either surgery or ESWT. If you all would come back and post sometimes, it would really help those of us still on the road to recovery.

If anyone else has been cured and is reading this, please let us know.

I for one, have already written my pronouncement for when I'm finally pain-free. It feels like writing your obit. before you die, but in this case, I don't mind jumping the gun! I would say in screaming caps: 'Don't hate me because I am pain-free and cured!!'. I can't wait to post this one!!!!

Again, congratulations and thanks for sharing good news, just what I needed to hear today.

Barbara TX on 2/22/01 at 23:44 (039700)

Congratulations, Donna! I am so happy for you, finally getting around again. It is so nice to hear a story about a surgery that is sucessful. It is good to know that if ESWT doesn't do the trick, there is often hope in surgery. Enjoy! B.

Laurie R on 2/23/01 at 01:07 (039702)

Hello Donna,
I second what Barbara TX said .It is so nice to hear someone doing so well after surgery. I also will be having surgery.When I have no clue . Your post is the second positive one I read today .It just makes me so happy to hear that you and Marie are doing so well. Please keep us posted .As you know, even if you are all healed come back to let us know.My very best to you ..Laurie R

Pat on 2/24/01 at 17:44 (039817)

It's been 15 weeks since my surgery and I am finally off crutches. I had the same procedure as Donna, partial (50%) release of the PF and heel spur removal by an Orthopedic Surgeon. During my recovery I started having pain on the top of my foot near my little toe and the next one. The Doctor thought I might have a bone fracture, but after several tests, he found out it was nerve inflammation that was causing the pain.

Donna, I can't believe how good you are doing. I ask my Doctor how my healing time was compared to his other PF patients and he said, 'Very slow'. I said, 'Is that because I'm very old (67 years)'.

My foot is still weak and it hurts if I am on it too long, but I don't have the constant pain I had for 15 years before surgery. Guess I should have had surgery years ago when I was young,like Donna.

Marie, I hope you heal as fast as Donna has.

Pat

Donna Y. on 2/24/01 at 23:56 (039833)

Pat-

It's so good to hear that you are finally free of crutches. One of the reasons I went ahead with surgery was age. I'm 30 now and I really didn't want to have the problem continue to progress until I got to an age where recovery would surely be more lengthy and difficult. But not all of us have that option.

Great report for today... I have been walking today with -no- pain. Absolutely none. It's amazing. No painkillers, either. I was just suddenly pain free when I took my first steps this morning. We'll hope that things continue to improve, but I am very very excited to have had one day of normalcy. It was incredible.

I wish you all the same speedy recovery I have been blessed with and the same type of gifted surgeon that I have been so fortunate to have found to do my surgery.

Donna Y.

Re: 15 weeks post op - WE NEED MORE POSITIVE NEWS LIKE THIS

Cynthia D on 2/25/01 at 09:56 (039847)

Hi Donna! Congratulations - just what I needed to hear - some positive news. I'm so glad you can get up and walk pain-free - it must be so nice. I'll bet there are so many people out there who have been helped by either surgery or ESWT. If you all would come back and post sometimes, it would really help those of us still on the road to recovery.

If anyone else has been cured and is reading this, please let us know.

I for one, have already written my pronouncement for when I'm finally pain-free. It feels like writing your obit. before you die, but in this case, I don't mind jumping the gun! I would say in screaming caps: 'Don't hate me because I am pain-free and cured!!'. I can't wait to post this one!!!!

Again, congratulations and thanks for sharing good news, just what I needed to hear today.