Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

alternative nsaids?

Posted by Yvonne S. on 2/22/01 at 13:12 (039653)

I do not feel comfortable taking nsaids(celebrex) I have plantar fascitis and my doctor has advised me to take them for 60 days. Will ibuprofen be just as effective? Do you ever prescribe crutches to heal this condition ?

Re: alternative nsaids?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/22/01 at 16:41 (039667)

Rest, non-weight bearing for a short period time and physical stretching or physical therapy is a very good first line of therapy. So skip the nsaid and go to the other phases I just talked about. .

These Nasid are safe but they are drugs and well some people will have problems . I don't like taking the nsaid for sixty days period.

Kay S on 2/22/01 at 18:21 (039674)

Hi Yvonne
Why don't you want to take the Celebrex? It has been used for the past few years for many arthritic/inflammatory type conditions with a lot of success. Another similar drug is Vioxx. Both of these are the 'latest' in NSAIDs. Ibuprofen is also okay, but you'd need a whole lot more of it to match up to the effects of the Celebrex. Why not try and see how it works. There are so many of these types of drugs out there that you could take a different one every week for three months and still not get through all of them. Each one has its possible side effects, of course, but there is almost nothing you could name that doesn't!
Unless you have a darn good reason for not wanting to take this, I'd suggest giving it a try. It may really help you.
Good luck.
Kay

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/22/01 at 16:41 (039667)

Rest, non-weight bearing for a short period time and physical stretching or physical therapy is a very good first line of therapy. So skip the nsaid and go to the other phases I just talked about. .

These Nasid are safe but they are drugs and well some people will have problems . I don't like taking the nsaid for sixty days period.

Kay S on 2/22/01 at 18:21 (039674)

Hi Yvonne
Why don't you want to take the Celebrex? It has been used for the past few years for many arthritic/inflammatory type conditions with a lot of success. Another similar drug is Vioxx. Both of these are the 'latest' in NSAIDs. Ibuprofen is also okay, but you'd need a whole lot more of it to match up to the effects of the Celebrex. Why not try and see how it works. There are so many of these types of drugs out there that you could take a different one every week for three months and still not get through all of them. Each one has its possible side effects, of course, but there is almost nothing you could name that doesn't!
Unless you have a darn good reason for not wanting to take this, I'd suggest giving it a try. It may really help you.
Good luck.
Kay