Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Haglands Deformity

Posted by Debbie S. on 2/23/01 at 14:33 (039740)

From what I've read on your web site, it sounds like what I have is Hagland's Deformity on my right heel. I'm a 46-year-old female who runs approximately 4 days a week, 3-miles each time. I've had this condition for at least a year and a half, which is one reason I don't run more often. Can someone tell me how long recovery time is after having surgery for this condition? When can I expect to run again, if ever?

Re: Haglands Deformity

Dr. Biehler on 2/23/01 at 18:57 (039765)

A lot depends on how much bone has to be removed and the surgical technique. In minimal incision surgery the bone is removed using a 1.9mm in diameter burr. The small incision closes very quickly and recover is fast. If the procedure is more of a disecting technique, the recovery can be more involved and take much longer. Dr. B.

Debbie S. on 2/27/01 at 15:13 (040017)

Thank you for responding. In either case, can I expect to be able to run again? I promise I won't hold you to it, but could you give me an idea of recovery time in both instances?

Dr. Biehler on 2/28/01 at 10:54 (040070)

It depends on where the bump is. With MIS to remove the boney bump the epidermis might be a little brused for a week or two. With an open procedure mabe six to eight weeks. Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 2/23/01 at 18:57 (039765)

A lot depends on how much bone has to be removed and the surgical technique. In minimal incision surgery the bone is removed using a 1.9mm in diameter burr. The small incision closes very quickly and recover is fast. If the procedure is more of a disecting technique, the recovery can be more involved and take much longer. Dr. B.

Debbie S. on 2/27/01 at 15:13 (040017)

Thank you for responding. In either case, can I expect to be able to run again? I promise I won't hold you to it, but could you give me an idea of recovery time in both instances?

Dr. Biehler on 2/28/01 at 10:54 (040070)

It depends on where the bump is. With MIS to remove the boney bump the epidermis might be a little brused for a week or two. With an open procedure mabe six to eight weeks. Dr. B.