Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Treating PTT?

Posted by Nancy N on 2/23/01 at 17:25 (039751)

OK, when I was at my last OrthoWave study appointment today, I asked about this pain in the swollen area on my foot, and Dr. Ehrlich did confirm that it is in the posterior tibial tendon area. So my question is--what is the best way to keep this under control/cure it? I don't currently have a foot doctor in the area and have had a hard time finding a good one, so I appreciate any info you can offer.

The pain is more annoying than anything, and I now have just a little of it in both feet--just enough to worry me. I have the futuro braces but can't wear them in my shoes. I have also been using the Acu-Flex, and hopefully that helps, too. Should I be icing it? Hot soaks? I'm really not sure...

I have an appointment to see a pedorthist about some new orthotics next Saturday--how much will they do to help?

Thanks much.

Nancy

Re: Treating PTT?

Nancy N on 2/23/01 at 17:31 (039752)

I forgot to mention that I have been taking Celebrex since August for the study, but am hoping to stop taking it soon. Please let me know if that is a bad idea.

Thanks.

Dr. Biehler on 2/23/01 at 18:47 (039761)

If you have too much internal rotation of your legs durring gait, which can also cause pronation. this can cause your posterior tibial tendon to fire before it is in the correct position to. This can cause excessive strain and injury. Orthotics, if made correctly can help. As far as taking the Celerex, you have to determine why you are still taking it. The medication can help with inflamation but masking the pain can be a two edge sword. Dr. B.

Nancy N on 2/24/01 at 13:54 (039805)

Dr B--

Thanks for the info. I take it then that the orthotics should help the problem?

Dr. Biehler on 2/24/01 at 17:29 (039814)

Yes, orthotics should help. Dr. B.

Nancy N on 2/23/01 at 17:31 (039752)

I forgot to mention that I have been taking Celebrex since August for the study, but am hoping to stop taking it soon. Please let me know if that is a bad idea.

Thanks.

Dr. Biehler on 2/23/01 at 18:47 (039761)

If you have too much internal rotation of your legs durring gait, which can also cause pronation. this can cause your posterior tibial tendon to fire before it is in the correct position to. This can cause excessive strain and injury. Orthotics, if made correctly can help. As far as taking the Celerex, you have to determine why you are still taking it. The medication can help with inflamation but masking the pain can be a two edge sword. Dr. B.

Nancy N on 2/24/01 at 13:54 (039805)

Dr B--

Thanks for the info. I take it then that the orthotics should help the problem?

Dr. Biehler on 2/24/01 at 17:29 (039814)

Yes, orthotics should help. Dr. B.