Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tingling

Posted by anita on 2/23/01 at 17:33 (039753)

does tingling in calf ankle and foot area necessarily mean nerve entrapment? because i went to pod yesterday and she used a hammer type device (same as used to test reflexes). and did tapping, she said if I had nerve entrapment, the pain would shoot down my feet, which it didn't. but I continue to have these sensations of tingling. (dr also ruled out sciatica)

Re: tingling

Dr. Biehler on 2/23/01 at 18:50 (039762)

The tingling sesation usually implies 'nerve'. The hammer ,as used in the typical exam, when tapped around the ankle is only checking for the posterior tibial nerve being trapped in the tarsal tunnel. There are a lot of other nerves and locations in the leg and ankle that might be causing the sensation. Dr. B.

Amy on 2/24/01 at 10:28 (039792)

Anita, I'm not a doctor but just like you suffering from this ankle pain/tingling. Read my questions below to Dr. Z and get an x-ray - it may not be what I have but it helped my situation to take a look inside. I had a sharp pain that went from my ankle up about 5' and sometimes shot down to my heel. It was my posterior tibial nerve being aggravated by inflammation. Good luck!

anita on 2/25/01 at 20:02 (039867)

don't all the nerves going to the foot go thru the tarsal tunnel area?

Dr. Biehler on 2/26/01 at 07:33 (039887)

No, only the posterior tibial nerve. We talk about this nerve a lot on this web site because a branch off it usually is what becomes inflamed in PF. The foot has the posterior tibial nerve, saphenous,medial cutaneous, deep peronial ,intermediate dorsal cutanious and the sural nerve going in to it. Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 2/23/01 at 18:50 (039762)

The tingling sesation usually implies 'nerve'. The hammer ,as used in the typical exam, when tapped around the ankle is only checking for the posterior tibial nerve being trapped in the tarsal tunnel. There are a lot of other nerves and locations in the leg and ankle that might be causing the sensation. Dr. B.

Amy on 2/24/01 at 10:28 (039792)

Anita, I'm not a doctor but just like you suffering from this ankle pain/tingling. Read my questions below to Dr. Z and get an x-ray - it may not be what I have but it helped my situation to take a look inside. I had a sharp pain that went from my ankle up about 5' and sometimes shot down to my heel. It was my posterior tibial nerve being aggravated by inflammation. Good luck!

anita on 2/25/01 at 20:02 (039867)

don't all the nerves going to the foot go thru the tarsal tunnel area?

Dr. Biehler on 2/26/01 at 07:33 (039887)

No, only the posterior tibial nerve. We talk about this nerve a lot on this web site because a branch off it usually is what becomes inflamed in PF. The foot has the posterior tibial nerve, saphenous,medial cutaneous, deep peronial ,intermediate dorsal cutanious and the sural nerve going in to it. Dr. B.