Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

E.S.W.T Info.

Posted by monty h on 2/23/01 at 20:34 (039773)

I have heelsspurs in both heels for (9)years located at the very center, of each heel. Ex-ray showed they are about .05'W.&.05'L. I work in constuction trades, the pain is unbelivable, I refuse to take any med. as to not damage any other parts of the body. Looking for anyone with known facts about E.S.W.T.

Re: E.S.W.T Info.

john h on 2/23/01 at 20:39 (039775)

it works for many people monty. what state are you in? contact Dr Zuckerman on this board for info or go to the ESWT section of this board.

John r on 2/23/01 at 22:27 (039779)

would like more info Live in sw florida

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/24/01 at 09:28 (039785)

If you call my office we can send you a informational packet with video.

We have effectively treated over 150 patients will ESWT. So give us a call
at 1-856-848-3338 and ask to speak to either Dawn or Jennifer

Kurt Kaufman on 2/24/01 at 10:10 (039790)

You can have ESWT performed in Coral Gables FL . Go to Health tronics web site for telephone Numbers. http://www.healthtronics.com

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/24/01 at 11:00 (039796)

Actually you can go to the location sites and take a look at all of the sites and then determine which site is best for you. Being close to the site is a consideration but make sure that the cost, place of service
type of anesthesia is considered. It is my opinion that ESWT can be done under a local in a office setting just like it is being done in Canada and in Europe.

We have many patients that are flying to our office due to two reasons.
now

1. We have the experience.
2. We do this in our office either with or without anesthesia
3. It is alot cheaper to fly to my office with the airfare then to pay the costs of the procedure, ASC fee, and the anesthesia fee. Alot of insurance companies at this time still consider ESWT investigational due to the lack of American Studies. I don't agree with this but this is the view point .

Henry L. on 2/24/01 at 21:59 (039826)

Florida

South Florida Orthopaedic Institute Robert D. Siwicki, DPM

Coral Gables, FL Ft. Walton Beach, FL

305-668-1507 850-862-4119

E-Mail to ecpodiatry@aol.com

Website http://www.emeraldcoastpodiatry.com

Charles F. Peebles, DPM Howard L. Schuele, MD

Ft. Walton Beach, FL Clearwater, FL

850-862-4119 727-461-1400

E-Mail to ecpodiatry@aol.com E-Mail to clearwaterortho@aol.com

Fred Ferderigos, MD

Palm Harbor, FL

727-789-3300

here is a list of treatment centers in florida

monty h on 2/24/01 at 22:24 (039828)

Dr.Zuckerman,
thank you very much for your reply so soon,Iwas on the phone all week with my Ins. Adm. he called me today said they would cover ESWT treatment for me also said i would be the first,I will call your office Monday,for more Info. monty h. chicago

Dr. Marlene Reid on 2/25/01 at 01:00 (039835)

Hi Monty, I am a Board Certified Podiatric Surgeon in the Chicago area (the first center to be performing the OssaTron in Chicago). We have found that insurance companies ARE approving the OssaTron, which is currently the only ESW device to be FDA approved in the US. It is geared for a single, one time treatment. The machine has been in the Chicago area since January and we have been very happy with the results. If you would like to talk to patients in the Chicagoland area who have had the OssaTron treatment, feel free to contact me at my office (630) 852-8650 and I will be happy to put you in touch with patients. I will also be hapohappy to answer any questions you may have personally. Good luck to you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/25/01 at 06:42 (039842)

Glad to hear this . I would get them to put this into writng for you. They
usually will do this with what it called a pre-determination. Usually will fax or mail this to you or your treating ESWT doctor. The most important aspect of this whole thing is do you qualify for ESWT. I am sure that you know this but I will repeat this . ESWT is for insertional proximal plantar fasciitis that is over six months of duration and has failed to get better with treatment.

Now you are in a very good position. You are in Chicago land and there are I believe four doctor doctors that do ESWT. So now you can get a few opinions. You can even take a look at all of the ESWT sites ( both ossatron and orbasone and really make a decision. You can get two or three opinions. The most important aspect is that you feel comfortable with the treating doctor and that it is determined that ESWT is indicated for you. This I can help you with the choice of treating doctor is going to be your pick.

Scott R on 2/25/01 at 06:56 (039843)

Dr. Reid, please state that the OssaTron is the only ESW device approved in the U.S. for heel pain. As we've discussed before and as the FDA letter on the ESWT page shows, the Orbasone is approved by the FDA in a general sense, so it makes you appear dishonest each time you state the OssaTron is the only device approved by the FDA without adding the phrase 'for heel pain'.

angie r on 2/25/01 at 09:48 (039846)

what is the essential difference between the ossatron and orbasone? Dont both pulse at 18-20Kv? I know the ossatron can go higher then that but, if you are just talking heel pain, isnt that all you need? One is done in a hospital one is not. But if the power and penetration are the same, are there any differences in outcome

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/25/01 at 11:28 (039851)

You have answered your own question very well, with regard to proximal insertional plantar fasciitis. The orbasone goes to 22kv. The ossatron has a max of 28kv. So both have all and more then you need. My theory is that you have to create a mechanical injury at the site of treatment so if the injury is created then the body's repairing-healing-soft tissue healing is again started . The same goes for heel spur surgery you are injuring the area that has stopped healing and therefore injured the area with this time foot surgery saws, rasps, bone scrapping instruments to start the healing process. So you now we have ESWT which produces sound waves to create the mechanical injury to start this healing process again.

Now the entire issue fo machines outcomes etc is going to go on for a very long time because it is my opinion that beside the ESWT treatment you may need physical therapy, orthosis, new shoes. stretching etc, etc, so we are back to the doctor being the most important factor in the guildance of our healing. My purpose on this web site is to make the pateint as factor also

I hope this clears up some of this. So long as we are clearing up pain from the heel and people are becoming more educated then I feel that I am sort of winning this war on plantar fascitis.

I sure wish that we havd a machine that could just heal this dam pain without any time lost and healing process. So there is alot of research with regard to heel pain. Thank god we have ESWT which is in the right direction.

Sorry for the long respond . You answer was in the question already.

monty h on 2/25/01 at 17:25 (039863)

Dr.Zuckerman,
I misplaced your phone # could post it again i will call your office monday am. for any info you may have or a referal to one of the Dr's in Chicago. Thanks...

john h on 2/26/01 at 09:57 (039904)

i think the outcome for the orbasone and ossatorn is largely a function of the patient and his problem.

Susan Z on 5/03/01 at 14:39 (046515)

Monty H. Where were you referred to by Dr. Z in the chicago area?

Susan Z on 5/07/01 at hrmin (046872)

Dr. Z
Who were the four doctors in the Chgo area you referred to and which one(s) do you recommend. Thank-you.

john h on 2/23/01 at 20:39 (039775)

it works for many people monty. what state are you in? contact Dr Zuckerman on this board for info or go to the ESWT section of this board.

John r on 2/23/01 at 22:27 (039779)

would like more info Live in sw florida

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/24/01 at 09:28 (039785)

If you call my office we can send you a informational packet with video.

We have effectively treated over 150 patients will ESWT. So give us a call
at 1-856-848-3338 and ask to speak to either Dawn or Jennifer

Kurt Kaufman on 2/24/01 at 10:10 (039790)

You can have ESWT performed in Coral Gables FL . Go to Health tronics web site for telephone Numbers. http://www.healthtronics.com

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/24/01 at 11:00 (039796)

Actually you can go to the location sites and take a look at all of the sites and then determine which site is best for you. Being close to the site is a consideration but make sure that the cost, place of service
type of anesthesia is considered. It is my opinion that ESWT can be done under a local in a office setting just like it is being done in Canada and in Europe.

We have many patients that are flying to our office due to two reasons.
now

1. We have the experience.
2. We do this in our office either with or without anesthesia
3. It is alot cheaper to fly to my office with the airfare then to pay the costs of the procedure, ASC fee, and the anesthesia fee. Alot of insurance companies at this time still consider ESWT investigational due to the lack of American Studies. I don't agree with this but this is the view point .

Henry L. on 2/24/01 at 21:59 (039826)

Florida

South Florida Orthopaedic Institute Robert D. Siwicki, DPM

Coral Gables, FL Ft. Walton Beach, FL

305-668-1507 850-862-4119

E-Mail to ecpodiatry@aol.com

Charles F. Peebles, DPM Howard L. Schuele, MD

Ft. Walton Beach, FL Clearwater, FL

850-862-4119 727-461-1400

E-Mail to ecpodiatry@aol.com E-Mail to clearwaterortho@aol.com

Fred Ferderigos, MD

Palm Harbor, FL

727-789-3300

here is a list of treatment centers in florida

monty h on 2/24/01 at 22:24 (039828)

Dr.Zuckerman,
thank you very much for your reply so soon,Iwas on the phone all week with my Ins. Adm. he called me today said they would cover ESWT treatment for me also said i would be the first,I will call your office Monday,for more Info. monty h. chicago

Dr. Marlene Reid on 2/25/01 at 01:00 (039835)

Hi Monty, I am a Board Certified Podiatric Surgeon in the Chicago area (the first center to be performing the OssaTron in Chicago). We have found that insurance companies ARE approving the OssaTron, which is currently the only ESW device to be FDA approved in the US. It is geared for a single, one time treatment. The machine has been in the Chicago area since January and we have been very happy with the results. If you would like to talk to patients in the Chicagoland area who have had the OssaTron treatment, feel free to contact me at my office (630) 852-8650 and I will be happy to put you in touch with patients. I will also be hapohappy to answer any questions you may have personally. Good luck to you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/25/01 at 06:42 (039842)

Glad to hear this . I would get them to put this into writng for you. They
usually will do this with what it called a pre-determination. Usually will fax or mail this to you or your treating ESWT doctor. The most important aspect of this whole thing is do you qualify for ESWT. I am sure that you know this but I will repeat this . ESWT is for insertional proximal plantar fasciitis that is over six months of duration and has failed to get better with treatment.

Now you are in a very good position. You are in Chicago land and there are I believe four doctor doctors that do ESWT. So now you can get a few opinions. You can even take a look at all of the ESWT sites ( both ossatron and orbasone and really make a decision. You can get two or three opinions. The most important aspect is that you feel comfortable with the treating doctor and that it is determined that ESWT is indicated for you. This I can help you with the choice of treating doctor is going to be your pick.

Scott R on 2/25/01 at 06:56 (039843)

Dr. Reid, please state that the OssaTron is the only ESW device approved in the U.S. for heel pain. As we've discussed before and as the FDA letter on the ESWT page shows, the Orbasone is approved by the FDA in a general sense, so it makes you appear dishonest each time you state the OssaTron is the only device approved by the FDA without adding the phrase 'for heel pain'.

angie r on 2/25/01 at 09:48 (039846)

what is the essential difference between the ossatron and orbasone? Dont both pulse at 18-20Kv? I know the ossatron can go higher then that but, if you are just talking heel pain, isnt that all you need? One is done in a hospital one is not. But if the power and penetration are the same, are there any differences in outcome

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/25/01 at 11:28 (039851)

You have answered your own question very well, with regard to proximal insertional plantar fasciitis. The orbasone goes to 22kv. The ossatron has a max of 28kv. So both have all and more then you need. My theory is that you have to create a mechanical injury at the site of treatment so if the injury is created then the body's repairing-healing-soft tissue healing is again started . The same goes for heel spur surgery you are injuring the area that has stopped healing and therefore injured the area with this time foot surgery saws, rasps, bone scrapping instruments to start the healing process. So you now we have ESWT which produces sound waves to create the mechanical injury to start this healing process again.

Now the entire issue fo machines outcomes etc is going to go on for a very long time because it is my opinion that beside the ESWT treatment you may need physical therapy, orthosis, new shoes. stretching etc, etc, so we are back to the doctor being the most important factor in the guildance of our healing. My purpose on this web site is to make the pateint as factor also

I hope this clears up some of this. So long as we are clearing up pain from the heel and people are becoming more educated then I feel that I am sort of winning this war on plantar fascitis.

I sure wish that we havd a machine that could just heal this dam pain without any time lost and healing process. So there is alot of research with regard to heel pain. Thank god we have ESWT which is in the right direction.

Sorry for the long respond . You answer was in the question already.

monty h on 2/25/01 at 17:25 (039863)

Dr.Zuckerman,
I misplaced your phone # could post it again i will call your office monday am. for any info you may have or a referal to one of the Dr's in Chicago. Thanks...

john h on 2/26/01 at 09:57 (039904)

i think the outcome for the orbasone and ossatorn is largely a function of the patient and his problem.

Susan Z on 5/03/01 at 14:39 (046515)

Monty H. Where were you referred to by Dr. Z in the chicago area?

Susan Z on 5/07/01 at hrmin (046872)

Dr. Z
Who were the four doctors in the Chgo area you referred to and which one(s) do you recommend. Thank-you.