Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I met the Wizard!

Posted by Jill P on 2/24/01 at 10:54 (039795)

Hello everyone! I am staying with my cousin so I will not have much access to the computer, but I wanted to pop on quickly to let everyone know I made it to my appointment yesterday for the ESWT. I'll have to tell you the whole story of the trip out here after I get back home because it was almost a comedy of errors mostly due to a huge snow storm that hit here. We did make it though, and Dr. Z and his staff are the most caring, supportive, intelligent, wonderful staff you could imagine. This was my most interesting and enjoyable doctor's appointment ever (for any condition).

I had two injections to numb the areas of my heel which were 'zapped' and really had almost no discomfort with either the shots (he's very gentle giving them after a numbing spray) or shockwave therapy which relieved me after hearing Cynthia's story. (I think she also arrived in a snow storm so I was worried that was an ominous sign.) Both Dr. Z and his assistant Roxanne ensured that the treatment was going well while they entertained me and my mother visiting. The time flew by and the treatment was over very quickly.

They set me up with a different shoe insert, 'Powerstepss', to see if they help more than my orthotics as Dr. Z gave me a thorough examination and noted I did not have problems with alignment or the way I walk. So far they seem very good, but obviously I am not doing much walking as I am trying to rest my foot. (I opted to just treat my right for now which is by far my worst so that I can be more careful in resting it during recovery.) My cousin had crutches from when her daughter had a broken leg, and I have found them very helpful.

This morning I am feeling pretty good but bruised on the part of the heel that was treated. I have some very mild tingling sensations which are not bothersome in any way.

I'd better end this for now. I will hopefully get back to Minneapolis tomorrow (yet another snow storm- there this time- permitting) and be able to fill you in about our comical trip out here and update my condition. :) Jill P

Re: I met the Wizard!

Cynthia D on 2/24/01 at 15:46 (039809)

Congratulations, Jill. I'm glad you breezed right through treatment. How about those snow storms? At least you and I are used to them, living up north like we do. It's amazing how everyone's so different. My right foot didn't hurt at all during treatment, it really felt good. I don't know why the left one had so much pain, but I'm glad you got throgh yours. How about that bath tub there? I ordered a Wizard of Oz video for him so if you go back for the left, it will be there to watch.

They are kind are caring people there. I'm happy you had a good experience. Let us know more when you get home.

Lori E. on 2/24/01 at 16:19 (039813)

I am glad things went so well for you. I hope that you get home safe. The snow here has tapered off, and they are saying that we won't get much more. I look forward to hearing your progress and the rest of your story when you get back.

Laurie R on 2/25/01 at 02:16 (039839)

Hi Jill,
Thank you so much for posting. I have been waiting to hear how things went for you. I can't wait to hear the rest of your story..... I best to you on your recovery .....Laurie R

Re: The trip! (Caution LONG!)

Jill P on 2/26/01 at 21:25 (039947)

Oh, what a trip this was! Actually from Friday around noon things went smoothly but getting out to Philly/NJ the day before was really something!

On Thursday morning my parents came down to give Brittany time to warm up to my dad before taking mom and me to the airport. She seemed to understand I was going to leave as she clinged to my mom. Since Mom was going too, that didn't help but she did warm to my dad during the morning. I was afraid she'd be crying frantically when they dropped us off but instead she was sound asleep which made it easier in some ways and harder in others.

Since we had more than 2 hours before our flight which was still 'on-time', we had lunch, browsed, and visited after checking in. Things were going smoothly although we heard that Philly was getting snow. They boarded the plane but then before we pulled out from the gate, they said we'd have to circle for 40 minutes out there due to low visibility/freezing rain/snow so instead we'd wait on the ground 40 minutes before take off. Then they said we all had to get off the plane so we knew that meant we'd be delayed longer than 40 minutes or they wouldn't let us off.

We finally took off 2 hours and 5 minutes after schedule with 35 empty seats even though the 2 other scheduled planes were canceled and there were about 50+ people lined up at the gate counter wanting to get on board. They announced that our plane was not able to take anymore passengers so travelers needed to go back to the main ticketing area to see if they could be routed on other airlines (which the airline hates to do). We were almost ready to pull out when they called for a passenger to bring her belongings and get off so they could board a flight attendant who needed to be in Philly because she was working as flight crew the next morning out there. Kind of scary that with 35 extra seats they couldn't take even just one more person so they made someone get off so she could board! The off duty attendant sat behind us and explained to her seat mate that we were 'weight critical' and needed extra fuel because of the weather conditions in Philly. Yikes! This was really interesting but kind of scarey!

The flight was really smooth and all went well until we got near our destination. Then it was gray and bumpy. The pilot came on finally and said that we'd been circling for 40 minutes already and that the control tower said we needed to circle another 35 before we could land. The problem was we only had another 15 minutes of fuel and then we'd need to head to Pittsburg which was the alternative place. The controllers had said not to do that as they would work us in but they only had one runway open. We circled for what had to be at least 15 minutes (praying we had enough fuel) before they gave us the okay to land. As we came down we saw it was really snowing hard and the ground was all icy. I saw about 50 flashing lights at the end of the runway and thought of the scenes in movies when they expect a problem landing and wondered if we'd slide off the runway, then I noticed they were snowplows! When we didn't slide off the runway, everyone started clapping and let out a cheer. (Just a wee bit of tension on this flight mind you. I hadn't been the only one praying constantly that last half hour or so!)

The lady across the isle who was from the area told us to be really careful on the roads because they 'don't keep them like you do in MN.' Several people were remarking about how bad the roads would be and after our long, stressful airport/flight experience, we decided to just stay in a hotel for the night. When we talked to the information station, we were informed that all the hotels were full and the closest vacancy was a Motel 6 which was in a city farther away than my cousin's house. We stood in the cold and snow for the shuttle to the car rental place and finally got our car. After clearing the snow, we checked out with the gate keeper. When I turned out on the road from the rental place, I went across about 3 lanes and nearly did a 180 degree turn! Now being from Minnesota, I am very familiar with winter driving conditions but this was really something, and we were both scared from the start! This must be the worst conditions I've ever driven in.

The directions I printed from Mapquest had different roads than the signs in front of us so we got lost right away. We exited at the first spot which was still next to the airport where there were several large hotels. The parking lot attendant said they were full as were all the others in that area and that we should continue on toward my cousin's giving us directions to get back on the right freeway. We got back on and never got above 20 miles an hour. Almost everyone had left work about 3PM and since they don't plow until night time, there were about 7 inches of snow on the road. Since everyone left work hours before, there weren't even 'lanes' visible from cars making the tracks before us. The small wheels on the Camry had trouble making in through the snow and with about an inch of ice under the snow, I had a really hard time making the car continue forward instead of spinning out as it wanted to do. (It had been 60ish just a day or two before the storm so the warm ground melted the snow in the beginning and as the storm proceeded and the ground got colder with more snow, the layer of water froze making it snow covered ice.) I kept having to let off the gas and reapply to try and get more traction on the ice under the snow. The tires were always spinning faster than the car was going.

The window wipers had ice building up on them so that they weren't clearing the windshield well, and I was trying to see out of a strip about 2 inches wide across my side which only made driving worse. We needed to bang off the ice but there was no place to do so safely. We had to cross 2 huge bridges which went way up and then way down and the low sides made me scared that if we spun out we might go right over the edge. The air in the car was SO hot and SO dry from having the defrost going full blast in hopes of keeping the window from completely icing over. I could hardly blink my eyes were so dry and my poor mom had her contacts in and was worse off than I was. After driving about an hour probably getting 5-7 miles, there was an exit with signs for food and lodging. We needed to get off at least to clear the wipers and cool off not to mention relax a while.

Although it was only 9PM, the Burger King had closed earlier due to the weather. We found a Walgreens still open and pulled in to the lot. At this point my mom's nose starts bleeding from the dry, hot air as I quick call home to say goodnight to Brandon as I had promised to call at bedtime. I talked to him for a couple minutes when we got disconnected somehow. Then I managed to lock my keys up on the phone and had to get that unlocked to redial home. Jeff was frustrated because Brandon had been upset when we lost each other while he was trying to get Brittany to bed. I was almost in tears at that point from this whole day and told him not to make me cry. I finished talking to Brandon while my mom sat this whole time bleeding with tissue stuffed up her nose!

We went into the store and asked for help finding the hotels that were supposed to be at this exit. The workers were really nice and helped us. The lady was telling us there were 3 new hotels just a couple blocks away and was having another worker call for us, but actually he didn't understand and called an old one just down the block. She gave him a disgusted look and a little chewing about not calling one of the nice new ones. We were so excited that there was a room we said it didn't matter that it wasn't one of the new ones. We bought some snacks as there was no where to get any dinner, and it was now 9:30PM anyway.

We found the place down the street and upon checking in saw a sign saying there was no refund after 20 minutes. Not such a great omen! (Either a real dive or an 'hourly' motel we're thinking then.) We pulled up to the building we were assigned (this was a motel) to find a van with a horse trailer parked across the building so that it took up about 10 spots including all the ones near our end of the building. I parked kind of in front of him hoping he could make it out with the snow and not slide into our car because the only other area to park was around the side of the building which looked like the car might be vandalized.

We checked to see that we had clean sheets, hot water, and the basics in this dumpy motel room and since things seemed okay, we sat down and called home to give them the update. After showering in a yucky bathroom with absolutely NO heat, we were ready to read and then go to sleep. We had the heater running on the highest setting bit it was still cold in the room. We both layered our PJs with more clothes and we were both still freezing under the covers in our beds. The temperature never got above about 62 I'd guess and dropped from there since the heater wouldn't come back on by itself. Finally my mom asked to sleep in my bed and we huddled together under the covers. I'm laughing that I'm practically spooning with my mother in an hourly motel!

I'd read an article about a family surving a plane crash and staying overnight outside so I felt lucky that even cold we were inside and safe. I also kept thinking about how we had planned to stay in the car at the Walgreens' parking lot if we couldn't find a room so I had perspective that the situation was better than it might have been. I told my mom, 'Well we're still alive, it is warmer and more comfortable than being in the car overnight!'

We hardly slept at all between being SO cold and hearing people leave in the night. It was a relief to get up and dressed in the morning even though we were not well rested. We checked out letting them know that the heater never got it warm in the room and even when we fiddled with it and got it to come on, it wouldn't come back on later on its own so it got REALLY cold. We asked for a restaurant suggestion for breakfast and were hesitant since the the place we were asking was such a dive. The Philly 50s diner turned out to be a nice place, and I kept thinking how nice it was to be WARM again while we sat and ate.

I felt like things were going good again and the nice breakfast special we'd had was just under 8 dollars total for both of us which was pleasant. Then I thought I'd get cash in the machine in the entry way and since the charge was $1 I was going to get $100 so I would have plenty without needing to pay a fee again later to get more. It spit out three $20s and then was grinding away while the screen flashed 'Please Wait' for what must have been over a minute. I'm thinking 'Why can't things go smoothly on this trip? Am I not supposed to go to this doctor's appointment?' UGH! Then the machine finally said, 'Out of order - Please notify attendant' and printed a receipt. I kissed it when I saw that it showed a $1 charge and $60 withdrawl instead of $100. I looked up and said a thank you to God!

After that, things went fine. The roads were just wet having been plowed during the night. We shopped a while and found the doctor's office before having a 'soda' near by while killing time before my appointment. (I totally confused the old woman at the counter by asking for 2 small pops! 'Ya want WHAT???') The rental car had a Hertz Navigator which was really neat once we figured it out. We could enter an address or tell it to find a restaurant and then it would verbally give you directions as you drove telling you you'd be taking a right in 2 miles and then saying you'd need to take a quick right followed by a quick left or whatever. If you went off the route by mistake, it directed you back to the correct path. It was just like having someone who knew the area sitting in the front seat directing you. The only thing we found incorrect was the Burger King we selected had gone out of business but there were other fast food places so it wasn't a problem.

It was great to see my cousin, and we all had a nice visit and fun dining at some nice restaurants and watching a 'chick flick' video. We also got to see some long time friends who are relatives of my cousin on the other side. It was really a nice visit. It was raining and on the way to 50 degrees when we left for the airport and our flight was delayed but due to a gage that wasn't working. We got in an hour later than expected, but the roads here were mostly wet by then so my brother had no trouble coming to pick us up. (My dad who was supposed to come for us ended up with pneumonia and was almost hospitalized so he couldn't make it. My brother had to come stay with him as they doctor didn't want him home alone at night.)

It was a memorable journey ending with two very tired women and a headache to boot for me. I fell asleep before 10PM last night and woke at 7 this morning. I still was exhausted and dozed off twice during the day. Wow! I think next time I will wait until at least May before going again. (Dr. Z said about 30% of patients are cured with 1 treatment while others need 2 or maybe 3. He gave me a thorough exam, took Xrays, and gave me a pair of inserts for my shoes. He was such a nice guy! He even said upon hearing of our adventure that we should have called because he has a guest bedroom!)

If you are still reading, WOW! This was really long! LOL! I will try and catch up on reading posts tomorrow.

:) Jill P

Cynthia D on 2/24/01 at 15:46 (039809)

Congratulations, Jill. I'm glad you breezed right through treatment. How about those snow storms? At least you and I are used to them, living up north like we do. It's amazing how everyone's so different. My right foot didn't hurt at all during treatment, it really felt good. I don't know why the left one had so much pain, but I'm glad you got throgh yours. How about that bath tub there? I ordered a Wizard of Oz video for him so if you go back for the left, it will be there to watch.

They are kind are caring people there. I'm happy you had a good experience. Let us know more when you get home.

Lori E. on 2/24/01 at 16:19 (039813)

I am glad things went so well for you. I hope that you get home safe. The snow here has tapered off, and they are saying that we won't get much more. I look forward to hearing your progress and the rest of your story when you get back.

Laurie R on 2/25/01 at 02:16 (039839)

Hi Jill,
Thank you so much for posting. I have been waiting to hear how things went for you. I can't wait to hear the rest of your story..... I best to you on your recovery .....Laurie R

Re: The trip! (Caution LONG!)

Jill P on 2/26/01 at 21:25 (039947)

Oh, what a trip this was! Actually from Friday around noon things went smoothly but getting out to Philly/NJ the day before was really something!

On Thursday morning my parents came down to give Brittany time to warm up to my dad before taking mom and me to the airport. She seemed to understand I was going to leave as she clinged to my mom. Since Mom was going too, that didn't help but she did warm to my dad during the morning. I was afraid she'd be crying frantically when they dropped us off but instead she was sound asleep which made it easier in some ways and harder in others.

Since we had more than 2 hours before our flight which was still 'on-time', we had lunch, browsed, and visited after checking in. Things were going smoothly although we heard that Philly was getting snow. They boarded the plane but then before we pulled out from the gate, they said we'd have to circle for 40 minutes out there due to low visibility/freezing rain/snow so instead we'd wait on the ground 40 minutes before take off. Then they said we all had to get off the plane so we knew that meant we'd be delayed longer than 40 minutes or they wouldn't let us off.

We finally took off 2 hours and 5 minutes after schedule with 35 empty seats even though the 2 other scheduled planes were canceled and there were about 50+ people lined up at the gate counter wanting to get on board. They announced that our plane was not able to take anymore passengers so travelers needed to go back to the main ticketing area to see if they could be routed on other airlines (which the airline hates to do). We were almost ready to pull out when they called for a passenger to bring her belongings and get off so they could board a flight attendant who needed to be in Philly because she was working as flight crew the next morning out there. Kind of scary that with 35 extra seats they couldn't take even just one more person so they made someone get off so she could board! The off duty attendant sat behind us and explained to her seat mate that we were 'weight critical' and needed extra fuel because of the weather conditions in Philly. Yikes! This was really interesting but kind of scarey!

The flight was really smooth and all went well until we got near our destination. Then it was gray and bumpy. The pilot came on finally and said that we'd been circling for 40 minutes already and that the control tower said we needed to circle another 35 before we could land. The problem was we only had another 15 minutes of fuel and then we'd need to head to Pittsburg which was the alternative place. The controllers had said not to do that as they would work us in but they only had one runway open. We circled for what had to be at least 15 minutes (praying we had enough fuel) before they gave us the okay to land. As we came down we saw it was really snowing hard and the ground was all icy. I saw about 50 flashing lights at the end of the runway and thought of the scenes in movies when they expect a problem landing and wondered if we'd slide off the runway, then I noticed they were snowplows! When we didn't slide off the runway, everyone started clapping and let out a cheer. (Just a wee bit of tension on this flight mind you. I hadn't been the only one praying constantly that last half hour or so!)

The lady across the isle who was from the area told us to be really careful on the roads because they 'don't keep them like you do in MN.' Several people were remarking about how bad the roads would be and after our long, stressful airport/flight experience, we decided to just stay in a hotel for the night. When we talked to the information station, we were informed that all the hotels were full and the closest vacancy was a Motel 6 which was in a city farther away than my cousin's house. We stood in the cold and snow for the shuttle to the car rental place and finally got our car. After clearing the snow, we checked out with the gate keeper. When I turned out on the road from the rental place, I went across about 3 lanes and nearly did a 180 degree turn! Now being from Minnesota, I am very familiar with winter driving conditions but this was really something, and we were both scared from the start! This must be the worst conditions I've ever driven in.

The directions I printed from Mapquest had different roads than the signs in front of us so we got lost right away. We exited at the first spot which was still next to the airport where there were several large hotels. The parking lot attendant said they were full as were all the others in that area and that we should continue on toward my cousin's giving us directions to get back on the right freeway. We got back on and never got above 20 miles an hour. Almost everyone had left work about 3PM and since they don't plow until night time, there were about 7 inches of snow on the road. Since everyone left work hours before, there weren't even 'lanes' visible from cars making the tracks before us. The small wheels on the Camry had trouble making in through the snow and with about an inch of ice under the snow, I had a really hard time making the car continue forward instead of spinning out as it wanted to do. (It had been 60ish just a day or two before the storm so the warm ground melted the snow in the beginning and as the storm proceeded and the ground got colder with more snow, the layer of water froze making it snow covered ice.) I kept having to let off the gas and reapply to try and get more traction on the ice under the snow. The tires were always spinning faster than the car was going.

The window wipers had ice building up on them so that they weren't clearing the windshield well, and I was trying to see out of a strip about 2 inches wide across my side which only made driving worse. We needed to bang off the ice but there was no place to do so safely. We had to cross 2 huge bridges which went way up and then way down and the low sides made me scared that if we spun out we might go right over the edge. The air in the car was SO hot and SO dry from having the defrost going full blast in hopes of keeping the window from completely icing over. I could hardly blink my eyes were so dry and my poor mom had her contacts in and was worse off than I was. After driving about an hour probably getting 5-7 miles, there was an exit with signs for food and lodging. We needed to get off at least to clear the wipers and cool off not to mention relax a while.

Although it was only 9PM, the Burger King had closed earlier due to the weather. We found a Walgreens still open and pulled in to the lot. At this point my mom's nose starts bleeding from the dry, hot air as I quick call home to say goodnight to Brandon as I had promised to call at bedtime. I talked to him for a couple minutes when we got disconnected somehow. Then I managed to lock my keys up on the phone and had to get that unlocked to redial home. Jeff was frustrated because Brandon had been upset when we lost each other while he was trying to get Brittany to bed. I was almost in tears at that point from this whole day and told him not to make me cry. I finished talking to Brandon while my mom sat this whole time bleeding with tissue stuffed up her nose!

We went into the store and asked for help finding the hotels that were supposed to be at this exit. The workers were really nice and helped us. The lady was telling us there were 3 new hotels just a couple blocks away and was having another worker call for us, but actually he didn't understand and called an old one just down the block. She gave him a disgusted look and a little chewing about not calling one of the nice new ones. We were so excited that there was a room we said it didn't matter that it wasn't one of the new ones. We bought some snacks as there was no where to get any dinner, and it was now 9:30PM anyway.

We found the place down the street and upon checking in saw a sign saying there was no refund after 20 minutes. Not such a great omen! (Either a real dive or an 'hourly' motel we're thinking then.) We pulled up to the building we were assigned (this was a motel) to find a van with a horse trailer parked across the building so that it took up about 10 spots including all the ones near our end of the building. I parked kind of in front of him hoping he could make it out with the snow and not slide into our car because the only other area to park was around the side of the building which looked like the car might be vandalized.

We checked to see that we had clean sheets, hot water, and the basics in this dumpy motel room and since things seemed okay, we sat down and called home to give them the update. After showering in a yucky bathroom with absolutely NO heat, we were ready to read and then go to sleep. We had the heater running on the highest setting bit it was still cold in the room. We both layered our PJs with more clothes and we were both still freezing under the covers in our beds. The temperature never got above about 62 I'd guess and dropped from there since the heater wouldn't come back on by itself. Finally my mom asked to sleep in my bed and we huddled together under the covers. I'm laughing that I'm practically spooning with my mother in an hourly motel!

I'd read an article about a family surving a plane crash and staying overnight outside so I felt lucky that even cold we were inside and safe. I also kept thinking about how we had planned to stay in the car at the Walgreens' parking lot if we couldn't find a room so I had perspective that the situation was better than it might have been. I told my mom, 'Well we're still alive, it is warmer and more comfortable than being in the car overnight!'

We hardly slept at all between being SO cold and hearing people leave in the night. It was a relief to get up and dressed in the morning even though we were not well rested. We checked out letting them know that the heater never got it warm in the room and even when we fiddled with it and got it to come on, it wouldn't come back on later on its own so it got REALLY cold. We asked for a restaurant suggestion for breakfast and were hesitant since the the place we were asking was such a dive. The Philly 50s diner turned out to be a nice place, and I kept thinking how nice it was to be WARM again while we sat and ate.

I felt like things were going good again and the nice breakfast special we'd had was just under 8 dollars total for both of us which was pleasant. Then I thought I'd get cash in the machine in the entry way and since the charge was $1 I was going to get $100 so I would have plenty without needing to pay a fee again later to get more. It spit out three $20s and then was grinding away while the screen flashed 'Please Wait' for what must have been over a minute. I'm thinking 'Why can't things go smoothly on this trip? Am I not supposed to go to this doctor's appointment?' UGH! Then the machine finally said, 'Out of order - Please notify attendant' and printed a receipt. I kissed it when I saw that it showed a $1 charge and $60 withdrawl instead of $100. I looked up and said a thank you to God!

After that, things went fine. The roads were just wet having been plowed during the night. We shopped a while and found the doctor's office before having a 'soda' near by while killing time before my appointment. (I totally confused the old woman at the counter by asking for 2 small pops! 'Ya want WHAT???') The rental car had a Hertz Navigator which was really neat once we figured it out. We could enter an address or tell it to find a restaurant and then it would verbally give you directions as you drove telling you you'd be taking a right in 2 miles and then saying you'd need to take a quick right followed by a quick left or whatever. If you went off the route by mistake, it directed you back to the correct path. It was just like having someone who knew the area sitting in the front seat directing you. The only thing we found incorrect was the Burger King we selected had gone out of business but there were other fast food places so it wasn't a problem.

It was great to see my cousin, and we all had a nice visit and fun dining at some nice restaurants and watching a 'chick flick' video. We also got to see some long time friends who are relatives of my cousin on the other side. It was really a nice visit. It was raining and on the way to 50 degrees when we left for the airport and our flight was delayed but due to a gage that wasn't working. We got in an hour later than expected, but the roads here were mostly wet by then so my brother had no trouble coming to pick us up. (My dad who was supposed to come for us ended up with pneumonia and was almost hospitalized so he couldn't make it. My brother had to come stay with him as they doctor didn't want him home alone at night.)

It was a memorable journey ending with two very tired women and a headache to boot for me. I fell asleep before 10PM last night and woke at 7 this morning. I still was exhausted and dozed off twice during the day. Wow! I think next time I will wait until at least May before going again. (Dr. Z said about 30% of patients are cured with 1 treatment while others need 2 or maybe 3. He gave me a thorough exam, took Xrays, and gave me a pair of inserts for my shoes. He was such a nice guy! He even said upon hearing of our adventure that we should have called because he has a guest bedroom!)

If you are still reading, WOW! This was really long! LOL! I will try and catch up on reading posts tomorrow.

:) Jill P