Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT and US Health Care.

Posted by Dr. Zuckerman on 2/24/01 at 11:08 (039797)

I had a call from the midAtlantic medical director from US Healthcare. He wanted my opinion on ESWT and should it be covered and what is a fair fee.

They are going to cover ESWT the question is when and the final touches needed.
We are working on this together but he is the one that makes the final impute. So here is what I told him it should be a flat fee and that there should be global fee which would include additional treatment.

We had a very long talk and this is a very positive indication on the future of insurance coverage for ESWT . In my opinion I never thought that the king of MANAGED CARE would even consider doing this.

Will take time but they called me which is very positive.

Re: ESWT and US Health Care.

Lori E. on 2/24/01 at 16:15 (039812)

Go Dr. Z! It's great that they are seeking your imput. This does seem to be a sign of things to come. Hopefully it will give all of us more access to this helpful treatment. Keep fighting the good fight!

Jasmine on 2/27/01 at 17:13 (040024)

Dr. Z - Along the same lines...my sister is the Chief Med Officer for Wisconsin and is in a position where she can promote ESWT to Medicare and such as an alternative to surgery. She was wondering if there are any abstracts or articles from medical journals that you know of that address ESWT. Would appreciate any info! Thanks! -Jasmine

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/27/01 at 22:12 (040042)

I answered this when it came to me via e-mail but it isn't posted so I will repeat my answer. There are abstracts on the ESWT section of this board.

There is a book that was published by the doctors who are very well known in Euorope. The book is published by the International Society of Muscular-Skeletonal Shockwave Society. There are some American doctors that have been involved with the ossatron and the FDA studies. This is the FDA initial report of findings with approval for heel pain that came just this past year. So the ball is moving.

In podiatry there are articles that have been submitted to the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons.

So each months the publishing increases . I find that most medical directors are looking for American published literature which is absent at this time. So the only literature we have is the European. I would hope that my list of close to 70 and we will have more would help. They are proof from the mouths of the patients just have effective ESWT was for them.

Why the credence of the European experience is not being used is in my opinion just a delay process, but the fact that some insurance is looking and some are approving ESWT is a beginning.

Lori E. on 2/24/01 at 16:15 (039812)

Go Dr. Z! It's great that they are seeking your imput. This does seem to be a sign of things to come. Hopefully it will give all of us more access to this helpful treatment. Keep fighting the good fight!

Jasmine on 2/27/01 at 17:13 (040024)

Dr. Z - Along the same lines...my sister is the Chief Med Officer for Wisconsin and is in a position where she can promote ESWT to Medicare and such as an alternative to surgery. She was wondering if there are any abstracts or articles from medical journals that you know of that address ESWT. Would appreciate any info! Thanks! -Jasmine

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/27/01 at 22:12 (040042)

I answered this when it came to me via e-mail but it isn't posted so I will repeat my answer. There are abstracts on the ESWT section of this board.

There is a book that was published by the doctors who are very well known in Euorope. The book is published by the International Society of Muscular-Skeletonal Shockwave Society. There are some American doctors that have been involved with the ossatron and the FDA studies. This is the FDA initial report of findings with approval for heel pain that came just this past year. So the ball is moving.

In podiatry there are articles that have been submitted to the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons.

So each months the publishing increases . I find that most medical directors are looking for American published literature which is absent at this time. So the only literature we have is the European. I would hope that my list of close to 70 and we will have more would help. They are proof from the mouths of the patients just have effective ESWT was for them.

Why the credence of the European experience is not being used is in my opinion just a delay process, but the fact that some insurance is looking and some are approving ESWT is a beginning.