Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spurs

Posted by josefina on 2/25/01 at 11:58 (039852)

Hello:
My dr. told me on friday, that I have spurs. My foot is very tender and big. My question does that means I have been taking too much calcium. Sorry I am a biat confused about this problem. Thank you, for your help.
Josefina

Re: heel spurs

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/25/01 at 12:29 (039853)

This is a very common question that I have been asked at least 1000 times and I can understand why you would ask this . So here are a few mis-conceptions about 'heel spurs but were never told'

1.Have nothing to do with too much calcium.

2. A heel spur is usually formed when there is tearing of a structure called the plantar fascia. This is the structure that runs from the ball of your foot to the heel.

3. There is a book on this web site that is one of the most comprehensive online informational . http://www.heelspurs.com is a site that is very pateint, doctor friendly and you were find alot of posters on this site that know alot of heel pain,

4. This heel spur looks like a point on an Indian Arrow head but there is no sticking of the bone into the foot that is causing your pain.

5. The limping that you get when you first getup in the morning or after being on your feet for any length of time is due to the the plantar fascia shortening to take a rest.

6. Do you know that heel pain or plantar fasciitis is a repetitive motion injury just like carpal tunnel syndrome

7. You did the right thing you saw a doctor and then made it your mission to ask and learn all you can about plantar fasciitis

So read the pf book , ask questions and take action.

Re: heel spurs

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/25/01 at 12:29 (039853)

This is a very common question that I have been asked at least 1000 times and I can understand why you would ask this . So here are a few mis-conceptions about 'heel spurs but were never told'

1.Have nothing to do with too much calcium.

2. A heel spur is usually formed when there is tearing of a structure called the plantar fascia. This is the structure that runs from the ball of your foot to the heel.

3. There is a book on this web site that is one of the most comprehensive online informational . http://www.heelspurs.com is a site that is very pateint, doctor friendly and you were find alot of posters on this site that know alot of heel pain,

4. This heel spur looks like a point on an Indian Arrow head but there is no sticking of the bone into the foot that is causing your pain.

5. The limping that you get when you first getup in the morning or after being on your feet for any length of time is due to the the plantar fascia shortening to take a rest.

6. Do you know that heel pain or plantar fasciitis is a repetitive motion injury just like carpal tunnel syndrome

7. You did the right thing you saw a doctor and then made it your mission to ask and learn all you can about plantar fasciitis

So read the pf book , ask questions and take action.