Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can I be heeled?

Posted by Deborah A. on 2/25/01 at 17:50 (039864)

I have plantar fascitis and heel spurs, wear orthodics, stretch, I'm a massage therapist so on my feet a good bit of the day. Have asked my podiatrist about shock wave treatment, he doesn't seem to think its all its cracked up to be, don't know how much it costs, etc. Am thinking of having surgery this summer. Will I be pain free or am I just setting myself up?

Re: Can I be heeled?

Dr. Biehler on 2/25/01 at 18:15 (039865)

If your podiatrist doesn't think ESWT is all it is cracked up to be, then please give him this web site to review. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/25/01 at 18:45 (039866)

I truely believe that he is in for a real 'SHOCK' if he keeps his head in the sand

Donna Y. on 2/25/01 at 21:12 (039870)

Deborah,

I have just had what I consider to be completely successful surgery by an orthopaedic surgeon, but I would strongly suggest investigating ESWT in depth before taking that route. There have been numerous posts detailing the advantages of this treatment, but the number one thing to keep in mind is that this procedure does not do damage that could alter the structure of your foot for a lifetime. And if it is successful for you, you have avoided an extended recovery period and managed to keep your foot in good shape without surgery.

I know it can be difficult to communicate with your doctor at times about a procedure he or she might not believe in, but even my surgeon believes in ESWT. He didn't believe it would help in my case and I can say that if you do have to have surgery, there are very talented surgeons out there who can indeed perform the procedure successfully.

Keep in mind that no matter what you decide to do, all of us here can be a great source of support. I found this board priceless when it came time to have surgery. Nothing compares to having people to talk to who have been through similar situations. I wish you the best of luck. Keep in touch and let us know how you are progressing.

Donna Y.

DIANE on 3/03/01 at 13:18 (040345)

DO YOU HAVE ANY PAINS IN YOUR FEET. I HAD THE SURGERY AND I STILL HAVE PAIN.I HAVE HIGH ARCHES AND THEY HURT ALLOY

Debbie S on 5/24/01 at hrmin (048790)

Diane when did you have your surgery?

Dr. Biehler on 2/25/01 at 18:15 (039865)

If your podiatrist doesn't think ESWT is all it is cracked up to be, then please give him this web site to review. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/25/01 at 18:45 (039866)

I truely believe that he is in for a real 'SHOCK' if he keeps his head in the sand

Donna Y. on 2/25/01 at 21:12 (039870)

Deborah,

I have just had what I consider to be completely successful surgery by an orthopaedic surgeon, but I would strongly suggest investigating ESWT in depth before taking that route. There have been numerous posts detailing the advantages of this treatment, but the number one thing to keep in mind is that this procedure does not do damage that could alter the structure of your foot for a lifetime. And if it is successful for you, you have avoided an extended recovery period and managed to keep your foot in good shape without surgery.

I know it can be difficult to communicate with your doctor at times about a procedure he or she might not believe in, but even my surgeon believes in ESWT. He didn't believe it would help in my case and I can say that if you do have to have surgery, there are very talented surgeons out there who can indeed perform the procedure successfully.

Keep in mind that no matter what you decide to do, all of us here can be a great source of support. I found this board priceless when it came time to have surgery. Nothing compares to having people to talk to who have been through similar situations. I wish you the best of luck. Keep in touch and let us know how you are progressing.

Donna Y.

DIANE on 3/03/01 at 13:18 (040345)

DO YOU HAVE ANY PAINS IN YOUR FEET. I HAD THE SURGERY AND I STILL HAVE PAIN.I HAVE HIGH ARCHES AND THEY HURT ALLOY

Debbie S on 5/24/01 at hrmin (048790)

Diane when did you have your surgery?