Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MSM

Posted by Julie on 2/26/01 at 06:34 (039883)

Inspired by BarbNY's good experience with MSM, I went to my local health food store this morning to invest in some in the hope of banishing the lingering heel twinges and stoking up against recurrence. The proprietor told me a story that I shall pass on.

The head of one of the big nutritional supplement firms damaged his knee and ankle rather badly (sporting injuries of some kind). Happening to be in Mexico (where milagros happen) he was browsing around a big health store and came upon MSM. He had never tried it, but thought 'I've tried everything else, it can't hurt to try this'. He bought some in powder form, took one dose of it, and then forgot about it. The next morning there was no pain in his knee. None. The day after that he noticed his ankle had stopped hurting too. 20 days later, still no pain (still the result of only the one dose). He is now completely sold on MSM.

I bought both the tablets and the cream and hope for the best!

Julie

Re: MSM

Nancy N on 2/26/01 at 08:16 (039895)

I decided to try it, too. I did not get a cream, just the capsules, and started taking them yesterday. It is a little hard to believe that it helps all the things it's purported to, but if all it does is help my foot and calm my back down (and really, I'd settle for the foot if I had to choose), I'll be happy. I can't decide if I should make a cream out of it or not--BarbNY, if you're reading this, could you let us know if you think one has helped more than the other?

Thanks!

Barb-NY on 2/26/01 at 13:14 (039909)

Hey Nan...I can't really say which one has helped more because I started using them at the exact same time. If nothing else the cream has left my feet silky smooth. You can make the cream yourself by getting MSM in bulk powder form and mixing it with lotion. I found a site that gives the directions. I'll post here it as soon as I get home from work.

You're right, it is hard to believe that any one thing can affect so many probems. But, I believe it's not really the laundry list of illnesses and problems that it's addressing, but the specific parts of the body that use or are effected by sulfer. Just like Vitamin C. C doesn't really cure colds, but it does increase the immune response which effects colds. Vitamin E 'cures' so many thing only because it helps to rid the body of free radicals that in turn cause damage.

I'm no doctor, but I have believed in and use vitamins, supplements, homeopatic and other products for many years to try to better my health.
Many products seem to help me. Many don't. But that's the way of the world.

Nancy N on 2/26/01 at 14:34 (039914)

Hmmm... I imagine I could achieve much the same effect by opening one of the capsules. I may have to try that. How often do you use the cream? I'll be looking out for the site later on. Thanks much.

I think you may be right about why it's reported to help so many things--if you are dehydrated, and start drinking more water, a lot of things will feel better because they all need the water in order to function. Could be the same sort of thing.

Celia on 2/26/01 at 15:00 (039917)

I went through the vitamineshoppe website and found all kinds of MSM products. I was so confused! Which company is best? Has anyone had to order from them or where can I find the TriMedica anywhere? I asked a pharmacist about the cream and he was puzzled. I don't have much of the inflammation that you all write about. I feel a lot of charlie horses and needle pricks shooting down my foot, in my heel, across my leg, in the back of my knee and it just hops around. I'm sick of it! I'm counting on MSM to help me out here.

Pauline on 2/26/01 at 18:11 (039928)

Does anyone know how this stuff mixes with regular medicine like blood pressure stuff? I need to know before I try.

Barb-NY on 2/26/01 at 19:15 (039934)

I found the web site that tells how to make the lotion/cream yourself. No need to buy their brand of powder. I'm sure any brand of powder will due. Has to be cheaper than the pre-prepared brands.

http://www.betterhealthsupplies.com/msm_lotion.html

I use the cream twice daily, before work and before sleep. I apply it all over my soles and heels and then wear socks to bed.

Nancy N on 2/26/01 at 20:34 (039946)

Pauline--

According to the sites Barb posted, there are no drug interactions of any kind, since MSM is a natural component of all sorts of kinds of food. I'd check the links if you're interested in more info.

Barb-NY on 2/26/01 at 22:02 (039950)

When dealing with something as important as heart medication, you must definately ask your doctor before you start using MSM or any other medication or supplement. The heart is nothing to play games with and different drugs do not tolerate other drugs in the system. Web sites are infomative, but cannot begin to address all interactions with all drugs. Please, please talk to your doctor first.

Brian G on 2/26/01 at 23:35 (039959)

I too am giving it a shot. I take 2 MSM plls, 1,000mg each, and the cream 3 times a day. It's been about a week, with no relief. Story of my life :*(
I'm not giving up though, I'll stay on it until the next great 'hope' comes along.

BG

Tam Miles on 5/08/01 at hrmin (047043)

Hey Folks!!
Just curious to hear how the MSM worked. I'm about to try both the capsuls and cream today...also headed out for some Cat's Claw. I have had PF on my right foot for 1 1/2 yrs...now getting it on my left foot. I had to leave my job as a retail manager because I cannot stand on my feet for long. My altered gate is now leading to knee problems, and apparently if I don't fix this thing soon it'll lead to hip problems!! Help! I ice, I elevate, I ibuprofen, I haven't Birk'd yet...that is next!!

Julie on 5/09/01 at 01:03 (047115)

Hi Tam

I noticed no difference with MSM. Others have, though: perhaps Barb NY will see your post and tell you her experience.(These were old posts, back in February/March, so she may not).

You're right to be concerned about knee and hip problems. Have you tried taping? Are you staying off your feet as much as possible? Birks may help, and would certainly be worth trying. Have you had a proper biomechanical evaluation and diagnosis by a podiatrist? It's possible you may need custom orthotics because of a biomechanical fault. An ankle brace (Futuro is good) which gives arch as well as ankle support can be helpful.

Lots of things to follow up. Be active in your treatment. Read the heel pain book if you haven't already (read it again if you have).

All the best, Julie

ellen w on 5/09/01 at 10:05 (047151)

Hi Tam,

I believe that MSM helped me a lot. I felt no effect when I first started taking it, though I began with just one capsule a day to ensure I had no negative reactions to it. After several weeks, I started taking 3 tabs of 750 milligrams each, and then I noticed a significant reduction in inflammation. My problem however, wasn't PF, but with retrocalcaneal bursitis. Along with PT strengthening excercises, I think the MSM worked by taking the inflammation down another notch. A number of people, though, said it had no effect.

Ellen

Nancy N on 2/26/01 at 08:16 (039895)

I decided to try it, too. I did not get a cream, just the capsules, and started taking them yesterday. It is a little hard to believe that it helps all the things it's purported to, but if all it does is help my foot and calm my back down (and really, I'd settle for the foot if I had to choose), I'll be happy. I can't decide if I should make a cream out of it or not--BarbNY, if you're reading this, could you let us know if you think one has helped more than the other?

Thanks!

Barb-NY on 2/26/01 at 13:14 (039909)

Hey Nan...I can't really say which one has helped more because I started using them at the exact same time. If nothing else the cream has left my feet silky smooth. You can make the cream yourself by getting MSM in bulk powder form and mixing it with lotion. I found a site that gives the directions. I'll post here it as soon as I get home from work.

You're right, it is hard to believe that any one thing can affect so many probems. But, I believe it's not really the laundry list of illnesses and problems that it's addressing, but the specific parts of the body that use or are effected by sulfer. Just like Vitamin C. C doesn't really cure colds, but it does increase the immune response which effects colds. Vitamin E 'cures' so many thing only because it helps to rid the body of free radicals that in turn cause damage.

I'm no doctor, but I have believed in and use vitamins, supplements, homeopatic and other products for many years to try to better my health.
Many products seem to help me. Many don't. But that's the way of the world.

Nancy N on 2/26/01 at 14:34 (039914)

Hmmm... I imagine I could achieve much the same effect by opening one of the capsules. I may have to try that. How often do you use the cream? I'll be looking out for the site later on. Thanks much.

I think you may be right about why it's reported to help so many things--if you are dehydrated, and start drinking more water, a lot of things will feel better because they all need the water in order to function. Could be the same sort of thing.

Celia on 2/26/01 at 15:00 (039917)

I went through the vitamineshoppe website and found all kinds of MSM products. I was so confused! Which company is best? Has anyone had to order from them or where can I find the TriMedica anywhere? I asked a pharmacist about the cream and he was puzzled. I don't have much of the inflammation that you all write about. I feel a lot of charlie horses and needle pricks shooting down my foot, in my heel, across my leg, in the back of my knee and it just hops around. I'm sick of it! I'm counting on MSM to help me out here.

Pauline on 2/26/01 at 18:11 (039928)

Does anyone know how this stuff mixes with regular medicine like blood pressure stuff? I need to know before I try.

Barb-NY on 2/26/01 at 19:15 (039934)

I found the web site that tells how to make the lotion/cream yourself. No need to buy their brand of powder. I'm sure any brand of powder will due. Has to be cheaper than the pre-prepared brands.

http://www.betterhealthsupplies.com/msm_lotion.html

I use the cream twice daily, before work and before sleep. I apply it all over my soles and heels and then wear socks to bed.

Nancy N on 2/26/01 at 20:34 (039946)

Pauline--

According to the sites Barb posted, there are no drug interactions of any kind, since MSM is a natural component of all sorts of kinds of food. I'd check the links if you're interested in more info.

Barb-NY on 2/26/01 at 22:02 (039950)

When dealing with something as important as heart medication, you must definately ask your doctor before you start using MSM or any other medication or supplement. The heart is nothing to play games with and different drugs do not tolerate other drugs in the system. Web sites are infomative, but cannot begin to address all interactions with all drugs. Please, please talk to your doctor first.

Brian G on 2/26/01 at 23:35 (039959)

I too am giving it a shot. I take 2 MSM plls, 1,000mg each, and the cream 3 times a day. It's been about a week, with no relief. Story of my life :*(
I'm not giving up though, I'll stay on it until the next great 'hope' comes along.

BG

Tam Miles on 5/08/01 at hrmin (047043)

Hey Folks!!
Just curious to hear how the MSM worked. I'm about to try both the capsuls and cream today...also headed out for some Cat's Claw. I have had PF on my right foot for 1 1/2 yrs...now getting it on my left foot. I had to leave my job as a retail manager because I cannot stand on my feet for long. My altered gate is now leading to knee problems, and apparently if I don't fix this thing soon it'll lead to hip problems!! Help! I ice, I elevate, I ibuprofen, I haven't Birk'd yet...that is next!!

Julie on 5/09/01 at 01:03 (047115)

Hi Tam

I noticed no difference with MSM. Others have, though: perhaps Barb NY will see your post and tell you her experience.(These were old posts, back in February/March, so she may not).

You're right to be concerned about knee and hip problems. Have you tried taping? Are you staying off your feet as much as possible? Birks may help, and would certainly be worth trying. Have you had a proper biomechanical evaluation and diagnosis by a podiatrist? It's possible you may need custom orthotics because of a biomechanical fault. An ankle brace (Futuro is good) which gives arch as well as ankle support can be helpful.

Lots of things to follow up. Be active in your treatment. Read the heel pain book if you haven't already (read it again if you have).

All the best, Julie

ellen w on 5/09/01 at 10:05 (047151)

Hi Tam,

I believe that MSM helped me a lot. I felt no effect when I first started taking it, though I began with just one capsule a day to ensure I had no negative reactions to it. After several weeks, I started taking 3 tabs of 750 milligrams each, and then I noticed a significant reduction in inflammation. My problem however, wasn't PF, but with retrocalcaneal bursitis. Along with PT strengthening excercises, I think the MSM worked by taking the inflammation down another notch. A number of people, though, said it had no effect.

Ellen