Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Font and spacing for the book

Posted by Scott R on 2/26/01 at 07:20 (039885)

I've had some complaints about the font (Arial) that I'm using for the book, and the spacing (they say it's too tight). Does anyone agree with this and/or have a suggestion for improvement?

I've just realized that the auto-email feature has a big problem. You can see responses made to your original post, but when someone replies to a reply that was made (the second and third levels below your original post), you don't get the email. Since this may not be trivial to fix and since I received only one positive comment about the auto-email, I'll probably undo it.

Re: Font and spacing for the book

Nancy S. on 2/26/01 at 14:51 (039916)

Scott, Part 1 and Part 2 appear differently, at least from my living room.
Part 1 appears all in boldface -- the terms you used to originally boldface for easier reading now do not stand out in any way.
I think Part 2, which has more readable (non-boldface) type for its basic text and uses bf only for certain terms, is much more readable.
I think if Part 1 matched Part 2 in this way it would be fine. Right now Part 1 does look black and crowded.
Nancy

Julie on 3/01/01 at 03:13 (040142)

Scott, sorry for delay: I meant to have a look when you asked, but I forgot.

Parts 1 and 2 appear the same on my computer: perhaps the difference from Nancy's has to do with WebTV?

I've never had any complaints about the book, as you know. But there are things that you could do that would make it easier to read. I don't see anything wrong with the font itself. If there is a problem, I think it's probably in the line length, which is considerably greater that in a 'real' book. Typographically speaking it's difficult for the eye to follow a line of more than 10 or 12 words. If you could pull it in a bit it would help.

A little more space between the lines could help too - though if you shorten the line length this might not be necessary.

Shorter paragraphs would make the whole thing appear less dense: perhaps you could think about splitting some of the longer ones?

Any help? I hope so.

All the best

Julie

Nancy S. on 2/26/01 at 14:51 (039916)

Scott, Part 1 and Part 2 appear differently, at least from my living room.
Part 1 appears all in boldface -- the terms you used to originally boldface for easier reading now do not stand out in any way.
I think Part 2, which has more readable (non-boldface) type for its basic text and uses bf only for certain terms, is much more readable.
I think if Part 1 matched Part 2 in this way it would be fine. Right now Part 1 does look black and crowded.
Nancy

Julie on 3/01/01 at 03:13 (040142)

Scott, sorry for delay: I meant to have a look when you asked, but I forgot.

Parts 1 and 2 appear the same on my computer: perhaps the difference from Nancy's has to do with WebTV?

I've never had any complaints about the book, as you know. But there are things that you could do that would make it easier to read. I don't see anything wrong with the font itself. If there is a problem, I think it's probably in the line length, which is considerably greater that in a 'real' book. Typographically speaking it's difficult for the eye to follow a line of more than 10 or 12 words. If you could pull it in a bit it would help.

A little more space between the lines could help too - though if you shorten the line length this might not be necessary.

Shorter paragraphs would make the whole thing appear less dense: perhaps you could think about splitting some of the longer ones?

Any help? I hope so.

All the best

Julie