Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS

Posted by Stephanie A on 2/26/01 at 19:21 (039937)

I have had foot pain for many years (at least 5) two years ago I finally got up the nerve to go to the foot doctor. He dx it as heel spurs, I have had cortisone shots, orthotics and stretching exercises. This worked well for a while. Now I have been getting pain in my heel on the inside of the foot.It has been going on for a few months. He said it was the nerves that were the problem and gave me a nerve block, worked for about 2 months, then I twisted my ankle and the pain came back. I wore an aircast for 5 weeks until I could walk without it. Pain has gotten so bad I would rather give birth! He gave another nerve block last Monday lasted 36 hours. Pain is still the same, he mentioned PT or surgery which he called Tarsal Tunnel Release. I talked to a physical therapist that works with the feet, he says maybe High powered ultrasound would work but thinks I should have tests to show what exactly the problem is. I told this to the doctor, he scheduled an EMG/NCV,it is next week. My question is am I going the right route or wasting time with having the test, the doctor says it is about 70% accurate. Any infomation or help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Re: TTS

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/26/01 at 20:27 (039943)

The EMG can help to determine Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome but more important can rule out other nerve problems along the lower extremity up to the lumbar area of the back. The question is has it been determined that the nerve problem is in your foot and your foot only.

Treatment consists of nerve blocks, steriod injections, physical therapy and or casting. This is a difficult condition to treatm Surgery can be effective but in about 60% on the cases. Go the non-surgical route and wait out the foot surgery . The posters on this web site can give you alot of helpful advice and support. Feel free to ask any questions at any time.

wendyn on 2/26/01 at 22:21 (039952)

If you haven't already done so - there is a Question and Answer page link at the top of the TTS board. There may be a few things in there to help you. Please let us know what the results of your test are. There's a lot of info on the test on that page as well.

Mor S on 2/27/01 at 10:34 (039995)

Hi Stephanie.

It sounds from your description as if this doctor of yours is really wandering about doing mostly trial & error. It looks as if active decisions were made more than once before gathering enough input.

TTS is a very sensitive issue, not easy to 100% diagnose and treatment results, even surgery, are very subjective and vary.

I suggest you find a well experienced doctor who not only specializes on foot but also have extensive experience with TTS cases.

On top of it, read as much as you can on the subject to match it to your own feelings. Be your own doctor by helping the diagnosis. Some web sites are very explanatory on the subject.

Good luck.

Stephanie on 2/28/01 at 11:44 (040071)

Thanks for your response, I will take into consideration waitng a least until after the EMG results, but I'll tell you the pain is getting worse and now there is some numbness in my foot.
Thanks again

Stephanie on 2/28/01 at 11:46 (040072)

Thanks, I haven't looked yet but will do that today. I will post the results.

Stephanie on 2/28/01 at 11:48 (040073)

Thanks, I plan on doing extensive studying.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/26/01 at 20:27 (039943)

The EMG can help to determine Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome but more important can rule out other nerve problems along the lower extremity up to the lumbar area of the back. The question is has it been determined that the nerve problem is in your foot and your foot only.

Treatment consists of nerve blocks, steriod injections, physical therapy and or casting. This is a difficult condition to treatm Surgery can be effective but in about 60% on the cases. Go the non-surgical route and wait out the foot surgery . The posters on this web site can give you alot of helpful advice and support. Feel free to ask any questions at any time.

wendyn on 2/26/01 at 22:21 (039952)

If you haven't already done so - there is a Question and Answer page link at the top of the TTS board. There may be a few things in there to help you. Please let us know what the results of your test are. There's a lot of info on the test on that page as well.

Mor S on 2/27/01 at 10:34 (039995)

Hi Stephanie.

It sounds from your description as if this doctor of yours is really wandering about doing mostly trial & error. It looks as if active decisions were made more than once before gathering enough input.

TTS is a very sensitive issue, not easy to 100% diagnose and treatment results, even surgery, are very subjective and vary.

I suggest you find a well experienced doctor who not only specializes on foot but also have extensive experience with TTS cases.

On top of it, read as much as you can on the subject to match it to your own feelings. Be your own doctor by helping the diagnosis. Some web sites are very explanatory on the subject.

Good luck.

Stephanie on 2/28/01 at 11:44 (040071)

Thanks for your response, I will take into consideration waitng a least until after the EMG results, but I'll tell you the pain is getting worse and now there is some numbness in my foot.
Thanks again

Stephanie on 2/28/01 at 11:46 (040072)

Thanks, I haven't looked yet but will do that today. I will post the results.

Stephanie on 2/28/01 at 11:48 (040073)

Thanks, I plan on doing extensive studying.