Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How to sleep with night splints?

Posted by Paula G. on 2/27/01 at 06:24 (039972)

I have another question everyone. I have had night splints since Friday and I have that all important question of how do you sleep????
I find I take them off until about 3 a.m. and then put them on and finally get about 3 hours of good sleep.
Otherwise, I toss and turn.
Any good ideas or solutions??

Re: How to sleep with night splints?

Julie on 2/27/01 at 07:13 (039978)

Paula, Bob G has posted reams on this topic. He isn't spending so much time around the board these days, but you can do a search on his name (or on 'Night Splints' and you will turn up some of his hints on how to get some sleep.

Pauline on 2/27/01 at 10:03 (039988)

Paula,
My experience is that it just takes time and a strong will to keep them on and keep trying. It took me several weeks to get through an entire night.
Mine are hard plastic with a foam liner. They go almost up to the knee.
The biggest problem besides getting tangled in the sheets and kicking myself is the heat problem. Mine are so hot to sleep in. Currently I am
researching lower more comfortable and open styles. I usually use 2 at a time. A shorter more open version I think would be more comfortable. There are several sites on Night splints. Use what you have until you decide you want to try another style. Personally I think they will all be difficult in some way it just finding the one that provides the most confort and keeping them on. It easy to throw them off about 2:00AM and go for a good nights sleep. Unfortunately it's not in the cards for us right now. I try to think about them like I'm doing a 2:00 A. M. feeding, I wake up, toss and turn, then try to go back to sleep. Oh I assure you I have a few choice words to say at that hour too. Its rotten but someone has to wear them how else would torture manufacturers make their money?

Jill P on 2/27/01 at 14:16 (040011)

Paula, try wearing just one (on your worst foot )at a time until you are used to it. Also try putting a pillow between your legs and sleeping on your side. That has worked well for me. I have found my night splint to be so helpful in reducing morning pain that I am almost afraid to not use it, and I think that fear would keep me awake now, lol!

Good luck! Jill P

Paula G. on 2/27/01 at 14:33 (040014)

Thank you so much for the helpful hints. The sleeplessness at night is worth being able to walk when I get out of bed...

Neva S on 2/27/01 at 19:55 (040030)

I started with just one for a few weeks before adding the 2nd. The hint of using the pillow between your knees worked for me. I can even sleep on my stomach now. My splints come up to the knee, have a foam liner but are open on the front so they aren't hot. Persevere-they are really worth it.

Nancy S. on 2/27/01 at 22:15 (040043)

Paula, I found it helpful to add some extra relaxing things to the nighttime rituals when using the night splint -- a hot bath by candlelight, soothing music, whatever you can think of that relaxes you and turns your mind away from daily chaos. I would get so relaxed and soothed that slipping under the covers felt great, night splint or not. Also try to think of it not as this contraption that's applied to you -- but as an important extension or part ofyour body for now. That sounds a little 'out there,' I guess, but so be it. Whatever it takes! Have a good night's sleep now....
Nancy

Bob G. on 2/28/01 at 01:18 (040051)

Thank you, Julie, I am busy, or I would post more often. The nightsplint can really help, and if one persists it can be worn with a smile. I still use my nightsplint on occasions, and find it easy to wear as it has become my friend. When you realize the good it does for you it becomes easier to bear. It's worth the effort. BG

Julie on 2/28/01 at 02:46 (040056)

Hi Bob

You were having a relapse lately, as I recall. How are you doing now?

Julie

Bob G. on 2/28/01 at 09:57 (040067)

Doing okay. Was overstretching my left foot which sent it into increasing tenderness and slight pain. I wore the nightsplint last night to help my right foot stay out of pain. I am fortunate that I am able to walk and jog, but must be on constant lookout.

I take my FootFlex everywhere I go. Gentle stretching is a big help. BG

john h on 3/03/01 at 19:10 (040369)

you ladies having trouble sleeping with night splints - why not try painting a picture of Brad Pitt on them.

JudyS on 3/03/01 at 21:46 (040379)

John;
1. If Nancy says no, I'll give your new stray a home here in SoCal..
2. That fat-transplant idea sounds perfect......and Lord knows I have PLENTY of extra fat in my midsection to donate to my heels - and lots of other people's heels too!
3. Brad Pitt? Puh-leeze! Would you men-folk then put a pic of Jennifer Anniston on your nite splints? I personally would have to go with a picture of a REAL man. Say, for instance, John L. Schmidt Jr. But I guess I wouldn't have to given that the real thing is snuggled up next to me anyway!

john h on 3/04/01 at 12:55 (040404)

us real men would put a picuture of mark mcguire or john elway on our cast.

Julie on 2/27/01 at 07:13 (039978)

Paula, Bob G has posted reams on this topic. He isn't spending so much time around the board these days, but you can do a search on his name (or on 'Night Splints' and you will turn up some of his hints on how to get some sleep.

Pauline on 2/27/01 at 10:03 (039988)

Paula,
My experience is that it just takes time and a strong will to keep them on and keep trying. It took me several weeks to get through an entire night.
Mine are hard plastic with a foam liner. They go almost up to the knee.
The biggest problem besides getting tangled in the sheets and kicking myself is the heat problem. Mine are so hot to sleep in. Currently I am
researching lower more comfortable and open styles. I usually use 2 at a time. A shorter more open version I think would be more comfortable. There are several sites on Night splints. Use what you have until you decide you want to try another style. Personally I think they will all be difficult in some way it just finding the one that provides the most confort and keeping them on. It easy to throw them off about 2:00AM and go for a good nights sleep. Unfortunately it's not in the cards for us right now. I try to think about them like I'm doing a 2:00 A. M. feeding, I wake up, toss and turn, then try to go back to sleep. Oh I assure you I have a few choice words to say at that hour too. Its rotten but someone has to wear them how else would torture manufacturers make their money?

Jill P on 2/27/01 at 14:16 (040011)

Paula, try wearing just one (on your worst foot )at a time until you are used to it. Also try putting a pillow between your legs and sleeping on your side. That has worked well for me. I have found my night splint to be so helpful in reducing morning pain that I am almost afraid to not use it, and I think that fear would keep me awake now, lol!

Good luck! Jill P

Paula G. on 2/27/01 at 14:33 (040014)

Thank you so much for the helpful hints. The sleeplessness at night is worth being able to walk when I get out of bed...

Neva S on 2/27/01 at 19:55 (040030)

I started with just one for a few weeks before adding the 2nd. The hint of using the pillow between your knees worked for me. I can even sleep on my stomach now. My splints come up to the knee, have a foam liner but are open on the front so they aren't hot. Persevere-they are really worth it.

Nancy S. on 2/27/01 at 22:15 (040043)

Paula, I found it helpful to add some extra relaxing things to the nighttime rituals when using the night splint -- a hot bath by candlelight, soothing music, whatever you can think of that relaxes you and turns your mind away from daily chaos. I would get so relaxed and soothed that slipping under the covers felt great, night splint or not. Also try to think of it not as this contraption that's applied to you -- but as an important extension or part ofyour body for now. That sounds a little 'out there,' I guess, but so be it. Whatever it takes! Have a good night's sleep now....
Nancy

Bob G. on 2/28/01 at 01:18 (040051)

Thank you, Julie, I am busy, or I would post more often. The nightsplint can really help, and if one persists it can be worn with a smile. I still use my nightsplint on occasions, and find it easy to wear as it has become my friend. When you realize the good it does for you it becomes easier to bear. It's worth the effort. BG

Julie on 2/28/01 at 02:46 (040056)

Hi Bob

You were having a relapse lately, as I recall. How are you doing now?

Julie

Bob G. on 2/28/01 at 09:57 (040067)

Doing okay. Was overstretching my left foot which sent it into increasing tenderness and slight pain. I wore the nightsplint last night to help my right foot stay out of pain. I am fortunate that I am able to walk and jog, but must be on constant lookout.

I take my FootFlex everywhere I go. Gentle stretching is a big help. BG

john h on 3/03/01 at 19:10 (040369)

you ladies having trouble sleeping with night splints - why not try painting a picture of Brad Pitt on them.

JudyS on 3/03/01 at 21:46 (040379)

John;
1. If Nancy says no, I'll give your new stray a home here in SoCal..
2. That fat-transplant idea sounds perfect......and Lord knows I have PLENTY of extra fat in my midsection to donate to my heels - and lots of other people's heels too!
3. Brad Pitt? Puh-leeze! Would you men-folk then put a pic of Jennifer Anniston on your nite splints? I personally would have to go with a picture of a REAL man. Say, for instance, John L. Schmidt Jr. But I guess I wouldn't have to given that the real thing is snuggled up next to me anyway!

john h on 3/04/01 at 12:55 (040404)

us real men would put a picuture of mark mcguire or john elway on our cast.